Page 65 of 85 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Malekith is a dark elf who was created in Simonson's run, became a C-List Thor villain, and was then bumped it to A-List in Aaron's run where he was revealed to have severe PTSD due to a horrible childhood in the middle of war, to the point that he psychologically requires war and conflict to give meaning to what himself and what he suffered through, so he has planned and led the campaign for the greatest war of all, the climax of which is it hitting Earth for this event.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Will it?

I mean, he's associated with the worst Thor movie, and Aaron has done nothing to give Malekith any depth whatsoever, and I haven't seen much cunning from him yet (tricking Thor only meant that Thor butchered an army of giants). He's not much more than a modern Silver Ag villain, cackling about how he'll get those do gooders, and their little dog too.
    Well clearly one of these two statements is correct. Either there has been clear development of depth and motivation or there has been none whatsoever. Hmm. My vote is with the former. How much depth we really need from a pantomime villain is debatable, but we seem to have enough to be getting on with. He has been in quite a few of Aaron’s comics, doing quite a few things over the last few years.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well clearly one of these two statements is correct. Either there has been clear development of depth and motivation or there has been none whatsoever. Hmm. My vote is with the former. How much depth we really need from a pantomime villain is debatable, but we seem to have enough to be getting on with. He has been in quite a few of Aaron’s comics, doing quite a few things over the last few years.
    Depth is a requirement for a villain to be A list. A villain needs limits on their personality, if nothing else.

This entire crossover, all Malekith's done is cackle menacingly and kick puppies. He's not had a single sympathetic moment this entire crossover, spending the entire time kicking puppies, while his council tries to eat said puppies.

You're right in that he's been in a number of Aaron's comics. But the true test of a villain is their staying power after their primary writer leaves. I don't have much faith that Malekith will be elevated to A list after this, any more than the skrulls were elevated after Secret Invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    By writing the origin about his trauma and how that shaped his worldview, Jason did add depth, but I do wish he spent an issue of Thor recently to get in his head (though the bit in the recent Loki spotlight was good.) The soil is there to start adding more layers, depending on how the event ends. He's on the omega issue cover, and I'd be more interested in getting more of him than Hela, the only other really big Thor villain. And he looks cool now. I'm a fan.

I feel like if you get one big story, you're A-List until you're consistently a joke, not if you fall out of use. Kraven had Kraven's Last Hunt, Apocalypse has Age of Apocalypse, blah blah blah

which means stevil is a-list until you free him from coates brevoort gooooooooooooooooooooooood
    I mean, it's not that I dislike Malekith I just don't really see him as the be-all, end-all, of Thor villains now.

I honestly barely remember that origin issue. It doesn't really seem to matter that much now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Depth is a requirement for a villain to be A list. A villain needs limits on their personality, if nothing else.

This entire crossover, all Malekith's done is cackle menacingly and kick puppies. He's not had a single sympathetic moment this entire crossover, spending the entire time kicking puppies, while his council tries to eat said puppies.

You're right in that he's been in a number of Aaron's comics. But the true test of a villain is their staying power after their primary writer leaves. I don't have much faith that Malekith will be elevated to A list after this, any more than the skrulls were elevated after Secret Invasion.
    I don’t really see the point of saying he is A-List. I don’t think Aaron is seeking to do that, and no one arc could achieve that. Arguing against his character on that basis is purely rhetorical. We could just as easily have this situation with any villain A-list or otherwise. The main work on his motivations and schemes have been done elsewhere, not in this event.

What he is in this story is the main antagonist. The root of most of the trouble and the manipulator of many of the situations in the Thor run. He could easily be killed or moved off of the board for years to come and that wouldn’t change the importance he has had to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I honestly barely remember that origin issue. It doesn't really seem to matter that much now.
    That’s precisely why we were reminded of it in this event and why that story was included in the prologue TPB.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-24-2019 at 02:02 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I don’t really see the point of saying he is A-List. I don’t think Aaron is seeking to do that, and no one arc could achieve that. Arguing against his character on that basis is purely rhetorical. We could just as easily have this situation with any villain A-list or otherwise. The main work on his motivations and schemes have been done elsewhere, not in this event.

What he is in this story is the main antagonist. The root of most of the trouble and the manipulator of many of the situations in the Thor run. He could easily be killed or moved off of the board for years to come and that wouldn’t change the importance he has had to this story.
    For this story, yes that's true.

But the discussion was regarding his staying power after this story. Important detail, that

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Picked up he new Agents of Atlas as well as the latest issue of Journey into Mystery on Wednesday. Probably wouldn't have gotten either if I wasn't hanging out with my friend that day. Atlas was fine, JiM is still a bad comic I desperately wish was good.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Enjoyed all the books this week. But Avengers, Punisher and Land of Giants were the standouts.

War Scrolls #2. I feel SEEN.

Amazing Member

Seed of Yggdrasil is immune to the sun in preview of War of the Realms #5

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR190720

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelJean View Post
    Seed of Yggdrasil is immune to the sun in preview of War of the Realms #5

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/APR190720
    Spiders of hel?🤨

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Spiders of hel?��
    I wanna they were in the arc when Thor went to Hel recently. But I could be mistaken.

I feel that the second issue of the Punisher tie-in was disappointing compared to the first one. The plot became very predictable, the art necessarily became focused on less interesting realm denizens, and the individual convicts are just disposable for supposed shock value. I may wait this out.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

From the latest New Agents of Atlas tie-in, it would seem that
    spoilers:
    Sindr is just joining along with Malekith but has her own agenda, namely melting Earth's ice caps to rule a flooded Midgard with fiery continents. Which means this united front among the leaders of the different realms may not last long and could disintegrate into betrayal and infighting. Unless Malekith already anticipates this, it will seriously cripple him.
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    From the latest New Agents of Atlas tie-in, it would seem that
    spoilers:
    Sindr is just joining along with Malekith but has her own agenda, namely melting Earth's ice caps to rule a flooded Midgard with fiery continents. Which means this united front among the leaders of the different realms may not last long and could disintegrate into betrayal and infighting. Unless Malekith already anticipates this, it will seriously cripple him.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    she wants Laussa as well.
    end of spoilers

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

So, what do you guys think will happen when Thor gets the seed? What he'll use it for?