Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    does panther feel more prominent than thor being on the forefront stealing his thunder or is it managing to imbue thor with a masterful leader in charge like aura by placing him in the middle rather than that of a centrepiece?
    Well T'Challa is leading the Avengers so it wouldn't be weird for him to look like he is their leader.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Im okay with that, but it doesn't mean someone can't prefer it of think it's a better version of the character

I mean it's 6 years or so thor hasn't had the hammer or been unworthy, but that's hardly a stronger definition of him than previously

And all that said, no one has to move on over anything, once the mcu version of Loki is less relevant, which will happen eventually he'll become different again

And there will be people who miss this current version of him

Publishers prey and rely on our nostalgia, it's not a bad thing to say you prefer things from past works

And in all honesty I don't think there has been that much comment about it to complain about

8 years is not the defining period for a character whos been around for decades, at least not yet
    OK first of all, aside from appearance, this version is not based on the movies. Like, at all. I mean geez, he was Kid Loki in the comics when the first movie came out, (first issue of JIM and the first Thor movie came out the same year, but JIM started a few months before the movie was released, though he was brought back as Kid Loki months before that) and rather than make him match the movies, which had him go full heel during the Avengers, they had him do a face turn. The only time they kinda matched was during Thor Ragnarok, but that was more due to the movies taking some cues from the recent comics rather than the other way around. The comics have been forging their own path with him, mostly building on JIM, not aping the movies, aside from sort of his appearance when his body got aged back up. But personality, no, it's not based on the movies, so I don't think anything with the movies will affect him too much, because it hasn't so far.

And preferring another version is fine. But to then use that old version to try and explain his current actions isn't going to work, because that character has been gone for like 8 years, that isn't who he is right now. and while the old version may return sometime, the current creators, or at least the ones who have a real say over his direction, show like 0 interest in bringing the old version back, and all the hints dropped by Aaron so far in this book point to him continuing the current characterization, so if it's going to happen i doubt it will be during this story. So why even bring it up? It's just going to confuse matters.

And to the Thor point, it isn't a 'stronger' definition of him, but it certainly is a whole lot more relevant to the current story, and will inform the immediate story more than his characterization back in the day. That is all I am saying with Loki. The recent stuff will be more relevant to the current story, the old stuff is kind of irrelevant except for how it informs where he is at now, because his character development has taken him in such a different direction.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-19-2018 at 08:29 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

does panther feel more prominent than thor being on the forefront stealing his thunder or is it managing to imbue thor with a masterful leader in charge like aura by placing him in the middle rather than that of a centrepiece?
    Yeah. Panther and Wolverine shouldn't be ahead of Thor if it's an event related to him.

I think the cover does a nice job of giving both of them props (and Steve, who is in the back but still manages to draw your attention pretty quickly).

T'Challa is in front, as a leader should be. But Thor is at the center, which makes sense since this likely is a more Thor centric story.

It works all around.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    OK first of all, aside from appearance, this version is not based on the movies. Like, at all. I mean geez, he was Kid Loki in the comics when the first movie came out, (first issue of JIM and the first Thor movie came out the same year, but JIM started a few months before the movie was released, though he was brought back as Kid Loki months before that) and rather than make him match the movies, which had him go full heel during the Avengers, they had him do a face turn. The only time they kinda matched was during Thor Ragnarok, but that was more due to the movies taking some cues from the recent comics rather than the other way around. The comics have been forging their own path with him, mostly building on JIM, not aping the movies, aside from sort of his appearance when his body got aged back up. But personality, no, it's not based on the movies, so I don't think anything with the movies will affect him too much, because it hasn't so far.

And preferring another version is fine. But to then use that old version to try and explain his current actions isn't going to work, because that character has been gone for like 8 years, that isn't who he is right now. and while the old version may return sometime, the current creators, or at least the ones who have a real say over his direction, show like 0 interest in bringing the old version back, and all the hints dropped by Aaron so far in this book point to him continuing the current characterization, so if it's going to happen i doubt it will be during this story. So why even bring it up? It's just going to confuse matters.

And to the Thor point, it isn't a 'stronger' definition of him, but it certainly is a whole lot more relevant to the current story, and will inform the immediate story more than his characterization back in the day. That is all I am saying with Loki. The recent stuff will be more relevant to the current story, the old stuff is kind of irrelevant except for how it informs where he is at now, because his character development has taken him in such a different direction.
    I totally disagree about the mcu influence there, but I'm okay with agreeing to disagree on that coz I really don't see any need to do a blow by blow comparison, for me to suggest that the comic version has not been hugely influenced is a nonsense but again I'm okay if you see it differently

but I never actually said he was based on him at all, what I actually said was that once the mcu version has gone they will change the comic one, again, I was linking that as a catalyst not a cause

I've haven't tried to explain his actions based on an older version, I don't know if you meant someone else did, I just said I think the older version was better imo, this one I think is a far more pantomime bad guy style, I'm just waiting for him to twirl an imaginary mustache

as for definitions, of course the current version is more relevant since its the version being used by the writer of the same story, I don't recall anyone saying otherwise, I didn't?

again, all I saw was some people saying they preferred a prior version compared to this one, which they felt was a bit wilted by comparison, I agree with that, I think he's a much less menacing and therefore less impressive version who to me,

for me he comes across as a bit tame and self serving, not much more, in my view

If you like him, or think differently, I'm fine with that too
    Last edited by kilderkin; 11-19-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Funny. Captain America rides in on a damn winged horse, and you want to talk about Black Panther being camera front and center. Well, here's a thought. In real life, most of the grunts and lower pawns are on the front lines. The leadership and men running the war are typically in the rear, if not completely removed from the battlefield altogether. So take another look at the picture and tell me who is in the front, down in trenches, and who is in back, elevated, aloof and giving the impression of being in command?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

It was touched upon when namor saw her in avengers so there's a decent chance
    Yeah it was. I get the feeling played for laughs. Jen will be in human form and seen as non threat and then Hulk out and start kicking ass.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    This will be a nice swan song for Aaron (he’s said he is close to finishing his Thor run on Twitter)

It really is time to let someone else try Thor.

Maybe we can get Gillen back.

Gillen would be fantastic to have back! Someone who can actually write a good Thor and Odin and not spend 6+ years dragging them through the mud. Make it happen!

Happy to hear that Aaron will be gone soon. Hopefully all his nonsense will be cleaned up and forgotten soon after.

Jason will still be the primary Odin writer because of Avengers + Avengers BC and Odin will remain an actually interesting character.

Extraordinary Member

I totally disagree about the mcu influence there, but I'm okay with agreeing to disagree on that coz I really don't see any need to do a blow by blow comparison, for me to suggest that the comic version has not been hugely influenced is a nonsense but again I'm okay if you see it differently

but I never actually said he was based on him at all, what I actually said was that once the mcu version has gone they will change the comic one, again, I was linking that as a catalyst not a cause

I've haven't tried to explain his actions based on an older version, I don't know if you meant someone else did, I just said I think the older version was better imo, this one I think is a far more pantomime bad guy style, I'm just waiting for him to twirl an imaginary mustache

as for definitions, of course the current version is more relevant since its the version being used by the writer of the same story, I don't recall anyone saying otherwise, I didn't?

again, all I saw was some people saying they preferred a prior version compared to this one, which they felt was a bit wilted by comparison, I agree with that, I think he's a much less menacing and therefore less impressive version who to me,

for me he comes across as a bit tame and self serving, not much more, in my view

I don't really think most fans prefer the old Loki. He was sort of boring. And Loki's "change" in the comic was being hinted at years before the movies were released.

I mean, old Loki just did the same thing over and over and over again. Now we get all the things that made him interesting and a bunch of other fun stuff!

Astonishing Member

I prefer trickster Loki, God of "Mischief" as opposed to "Evil" which never really sat well with me. I prefer this current, unpredictable version who still has some of the traits of the old without the one note mustache twirling villainy boxing him in one singular role in every story. He may never be a hero by definition (which I'm cool with) but that doesn't preclude him acting heroically when the occasion calls for it, all the better when he goes against the grain of what is expected of him. It keeps things interesting. I think right now, this is what's happening although his methods are unconventional to say the least, on the surface they he looks the villain but I don't think he is.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Funny. Captain America rides in on a damn winged horse, and you want to talk about Black Panther being camera front and center. Well, here's a thought. In real life, most of the grunts and lower pawns are on the front lines. The leadership and men running the war are typically in the rear, if not completely removed from the battlefield altogether. So take another look at the picture and tell me who is in the front, down in trenches, and who is in back, elevated, aloof and giving the impression of being in command?
    Unfortunately this true, though T'Challa is the type of leader who is front and center on the front lines, in this situation, i feel he would play more to his grandmaster chess player side..

Here's hoping we get See Wakanda and Die T'Challa/JA and not AvX T'Challa/JA

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I don't really think most fans prefer the old Loki. He was sort of boring. And Loki's "change" in the comic was being hinted at years before the movies were released.

I mean, old Loki just did the same thing over and over and over again. Now we get all the things that made him interesting and a bunch of other fun stuff!
    I couldn't say what others felt, I was only saying what I thought

And again, I only said once the mcu moves on I think there will be a change

I never actually said he was based on him, though I do think whilst changes were already afoot the films have I influenced those changes

to me it's very blatant

is he better as this version is of course personal perspective

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Jason will still be the primary Odin writer because of Avengers + Avengers BC and Odin will remain an actually interesting character.
    If someone else takes over the thor book, their version will trump odins guest spots elsewhere

personally I think Odin is very one dimensional, a foolish arrogant tyrant with few layers and little nuance

for me Simonson's and DeFalco versions were much richer, but opinions vary

Well, it feels like we are reading completely different things. I really can't see how you think he's like the movies, aside from kinda Ragnarok. Like, the only things he has are the appearance as mentioned, but that's superficial, and i guess maybe a closer relationship with Freyja. That's it. The rest stems from JIM, which as mentioned started before the movies were released. So i still really don't think any future changes will be related to the MCU at all.

And yes, a few have tried try to use his pre-Siege characterizations to explain his actions now. (It's not just in this thread, it's a general thing) And it just won't work. I dunno if you noticed, but the post you responded to, i wasn't even responding to you, so i dunno why you're taking it like i was addressing you personally.

And yes, he's PLAYING the bad guy. He's hamming it up, playing a part. But that's only on the surface. Scratch the surface just a tiny bit and you can see it's all just an act, rather than his true character. And more of what he's really like is starting to come through as time goes on, the Hel arc of Thor was a big one where he was overtly helping Thor against Malekith, for a start. (it even had themes of the brothers making incorrect assumptions about each other based on how they were way back when rather than their current circumstances, much like some of the fans do) It was played at the start that he was doing so in order to get something, but then at the end all he took was a picture, revealing his true motivation there actually was to help.
    Last edited by Raye; 11-19-2018 at 01:17 PM.