Page 59 of 85 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Well said voidox, my thoughts exactly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Jane's team has the Destroyer on their side. How is it even a fight?
    Bad writing, anyway, I find it more puzzling that a weakling woman who just got out of cancer, with basically no experience nor fighting skills and just a sword, is leading a charge against Dark Elves.

I had not seen a writer wanking their pet character so much since Jeph Loeb with Red Hulk, and I believe this is even worse.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Bad writing, anyway, I find it more puzzling that a weakling woman who just got out of cancer, with basically no experience nor fighting skills and just a sword, is leading a charge against Dark Elves.

I had not seen a writer wanking their pet character so much since Jeph Loeb with Red Hulk, and I believe this is even worse.
    Of, course, because it is terribly forced not a natural step.

So are all 5 issues of War of Realms just going to have one page of Thor screaming without doing anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    I'm waiting for the Trade paperback before reading the event, but I have a question: Do anyone knows how the "God Wheel" works? Is it a decoder or a calendar?

All I could find about it was this: "Another epic addition to our big MIDNIGHT launch event is Marvel’s going to be providing us with a special artifact — THE GODWHEEL — that we’re going to give to you FREE of charge with any purchase of WAR OF THE REALMS #1! The GODWHEEL is a major aspect of the WAR OF THE REALMS story — and while its purposes and origins are being shrouded in mystery for now — we can tell you now: owning your very own real deal GODWHEEL is gonna be pretty awesome!"

I managed to get one God Wheel at my local comic book store, but I'm very intrigued that no one talks about it here or on YouTube...
    It does look suspiciously like a calendar. I guess it could be used as a very simple code wheel as well if we lined up the realm symbols with the months, but it seems unlikely.

What I like about this week’s WotR Strikeforce is it finally brings Freyja to the fore after a long period where this was promised. Her role as magician and her identity as an Aesir is being highlighted. We get a Seidr spell (a particularly dark one) and references to divination, and by tradition Freyja was the goddess responsible for bringing that magic to Asgard. We even get a name drop of Folkvangr, her equivalent of Valhalla.

At the heart of the story is the story Frank Castle tells her. Prefiguring her new dark form, suggesting that doing the right thing is more important than how you appear to others, or perhaps what you become in the process. All very dark and foreboding.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Jane's team has the Destroyer on their side. How is it even a fight?
    A Destroyer with one arm missing it appears.

Freyja's fear instantly brought to mind Galadriel wielding the Ring. In defeating Malekith, she becomes worse than him.

Also, I think She-Hulk can now nickname herself "Gamma Fist" if she's going to take a page out of Danny Rand's power move.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Freya also name drops the Void and even looks possessed by by it.

I haven't read the issue nor I have any desire too.

everyone from Asgard is a fodder under Aaron's pen.

also, I can't wait when they get rid off Freyja, a Goddess who had never had any relevance in history of Thor comics is now the most respected God in Asgard.

let's not mention her characters was retconed upon another retcon just to be important.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I'm reading Jane's appointment as Freyja wanting a human for the role, for reasons yet to be fully revealed. Especially when Strikeforce reveals Freyja's fear of what she may become.
    I was thinking that is the kind of thing that would make it work (as in, right now it serves no purpose other than something to put on her resume?) However, the writer needs to provide some sort of hint at it, that if you were thinking that was the case you would notice where it was hinted. Otherwise, it almost comes off as "well, everyone else is needed in battle and are probably all going to die anyway, so here, have this ceremonial title." (Not that it has been that big of plot point anyway.)

Poor X-Men. They are so busy running for their lives, barely handling one frost giant, while the FF are kicking ass and taking names with almost bored looks on their faces.

I mean, just reading this issue and last weeks Avengers, the frost giants are easier to kill then popping parade balloons. None of the heroes have a single scratch or rip on them other than Thor.

And for a war of the ten realms, Asgard's representation is surly lacking. Thank Odin for Thor, Freyja, Balder, Sif and Heimdall. Like, where the Hel are all the other Asgardians?

Dauterman is Heaven sent. His art is masterful, beautiful and has excellent storytelling layouts. He has taken George Perez's spot as the go-to artist simply made for epics juggling dozens of characters.
    Marvel -- never loss him!

Art: perfect 10
    Story: 8
    Dialogue: 4 (It's too lighthearted with too many jokes for something this dire)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    What I like about this week’s WotR Strikeforce is it finally brings Freyja to the fore after a long period where this was promised. Her role as magician and her identity as an Aesir is being highlighted. We get a Seidr spell (a particularly dark one) and references to divination, and by tradition Freyja was the goddess responsible for bringing that magic to Asgard. We even get a name drop of Folkvangr, her equivalent of Valhalla.

At the heart of the story is the story Frank Castle tells her. Prefiguring her new dark form, suggesting that doing the right thing is more important than how you appear to others, or perhaps what you become in the process. All very dark and foreboding.
    I get the impression that Frank is there so that Freyja has someone she can count on to A) understand that she's embracing the darkness to win, and defend that decision, and B) put her down like a dog if it goes too far, and she becomes a threat...

And yeah, I love the idea of merging Frigga with Freya, to make one more relevant goddess from the two of myth. (And don't give a hoot about being accurate to the original stories, since the original stories had Thor married to Sif, with sons Magni and Modi, who don't even exist in the Marvel Universe, along with various other Asgardians like Ran and Bragi and Ullr and Sol and Skadi, or those who are mostly ignored, like Tyr or Idunn or Loki's wife Sigyn.) Throwing some seithr/seidr magic into the mix is cool, I always wondered why none of the Asgardians on the side of Asgard (other than Loki or Amora, who usually aren't on the side of Asgard...) practiced magic, whether seithr or runes or whatever.

In fact, it could be a bit of a surprise to find out that, just like in the real world, there might be humans who practice seithr, and that, in the Marvel Universe, Freyja is their patron and can call upon their workings.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I get the impression that Frank is there so that Freyja has someone she can count on to A) understand that she's embracing the darkness to win, and defend that decision, and B) put her down like a dog if it goes too far, and she becomes a threat...

And yeah, I love the idea of merging Frigga with Freya, to make one more relevant goddess from the two of myth. (And don't give a hoot about being accurate to the original stories, since the original stories had Thor married to Sif, with sons Magni and Modi, who don't even exist in the Marvel Universe, along with various other Asgardians like Ran and Bragi and Ullr and Sol and Skadi, or those who are mostly ignored, like Tyr or Idunn or Loki's wife Sigyn.) Throwing some seithr/seidr magic into the mix is cool, I always wondered why none of the Asgardians on the side of Asgard (other than Loki or Amora, who usually aren't on the side of Asgard...) practiced magic, whether seithr or runes or whatever.

In fact, it could be a bit of a surprise to find out that, just like in the real world, there might be humans who practice seithr, and that, in the Marvel Universe, Freyja is their patron and can call upon their workings.
    I always thought the Asgardian thing against magic had more to do with its culture super embracing masculinity, while magic was seen as being much more feminine. Magic is often depicted as being sneaky and dark, while just plain fighting is, well, much more out in the open. Of course, Asgard has always used magic when things got tough and in recent years it's seemed to be more accepted. It's also one very big area where Freya has Odin and Thor beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Of course, Asgard has always used magic when things got tough and in recent years it's seemed to be more accepted. It's also one very big area where Freya has Odin and Thor beat.
    that must be why she was never to be seen each and every time Asgard was about to be destroyed, always hiding behind Odin and Thor, just for dramatic effect...... because..... you know she is the most powerful.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

She has experience, she just doesn't have her powers.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman