Page 41 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    That means nothing. She was fighting the War of the Realms throughout her run. The characters don’t know it is also the name of a Marvel Event.
    It was Aaron writing both though.

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    I'm glad that someone likes everything what Aaron does.

I wish I have that mind.

and I'm not joking.

now, I'll sit back quietly and wait for Thor to lose more limbs and eyes due to depression LoL.
    The frustrating thing is that it really isn’t that difficult to enjoy Aaron’s Thor. It probably takes more effort to come up with all these objections.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It was Aaron writing both though.
    Not sure what you are suggesting. My point is that Arron wrote a short, in which his Granddaughters learn about Jane and discover she was important in the War of the Realms. We have seen this. She has already been very important during the War of the Realms. A war that began at the beginning of her story.

So it is clearly stretching the point to absurdity to use this throw away reference to imply that Jane will be the key character in this event. She clearly won’t be. She will be in it. She will have heroic moments, she is a protagonist in a superhero story so she will have wins. She won’t be as our mutual correspondent suggests, standing over a prone Thor saving the day. That’s not even remotely how the story is being shaped so far. Jane will be just one of the characters in a wide cast.

Basically she isn’t a Mary Sue, and to suggest that she is, seems to be a wilful misinterpretation of what that term means, and how superhero stories work.

It seems to me that Mary Sue has become a shorthand for ‘female character I don’t care for’, which considering it was never about female characters in the first place is a big drift from what the term was created to explain.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-06-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    The scene opens in WOR with Odin craving a deep sleep, which he can’t get. I am thinking Odin will end up in the Odinsleep after this?
    Well at least one of the times he was assumed dead he was actually reviving in space. But given the theme of death seems quite strong. We know Valkyrie and Hela are important, we know Jane resisted death and will be important, we have already seen two major characters apparently dying, I don’t think it is a stretch to suggest that dead characters may play a part in this story.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The granddaughters also met her just after she was depowered and tried to talk about one of her exploits... which, whoops, she hasn't done yet. Jane isn't done as a superhero and will likely regain powers before the event ends. Maybe as a Valkyrie? Would explain why there's no art for the recently announced comic called that yet - it not starring Brunnhilde would definitely be spoiled by any art.
    No we wouldn’t. This book hasn’t even been solicited yet. Nothing is being hidden. Let’s actually wait for the solicitation before we decide what it might be about. Certainly nothing else would suggest anything other than the normal Valkyrie being the protagonist.

Then, even if the solicit has a blank cover, it could just be a spoil, like for example Valkyrie standing over the grave of Annabelle, or even Jane.

BANNED

The frustrating thing is that it really isn’t that difficult to enjoy Aaron’s Thor. It probably takes more effort to come up with all these objections.
    When people become adamant that they have to hate something, they really work overtime to keep that stance going.

BANNED

Ikr

a mortal human who just miraculously got cured of cancer is killing Angels.
    People do, happily, go into remission from cancer all the time.

As for Jane being a mortal woman. Yes, she's mortal but she has had experience fighting. And as for killing angels, we see her slashing angels with a sword as she passes them by.

We don't know that she has mortally wounded any of them, just that she is doing her part to fight.

If there's a panel in the book of her standing over a pile of angel corpses that she's personally slain, I could see an objection to that.

But objecting to her simply being in the fight is an absurd stretch based solely on a personal antipathy towards the character.

except we can like it or not.

if someone don't like the characterization of Thor or Odin or having Jane being in the spot light then we don't like it.

no matter what you try to explain or if you want to justify Aaron's writing, we won't like it.

you can't change people's opinions.

I won't call out people for liking it.

you have free will ofc.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-06-2019 at 05:18 AM.

except we can like it or not.

if someone don't like the characterization of Thor or Odin or having Jane being in the spot light then we don't like it.

no matter what you try to explain or if you want to justify Aaron's writing, we won't like it.

you can't change people's opinions.

I won't call out people for liking.

you have free will ofc.
    And I never made any of these assertions. I effectively just said it’s pretty easy to enjoy and almost all of these kinds of objections, are a stretch and hard to justify in the light of the actual story. I hope a good part of it is just humour, but as jokes go ‘Jane is a Mary Sue’ is neither funny or well observed. You make my point for me by objecting to Jane being in the spotlight. That isn’t a critique or a quality assessment, that’s just a personal annoyance that many seem to have cultivated into an attack.

No we wouldn’t. This book hasn’t even been solicited yet. Nothing is being hidden. Let’s actually wait for the solicitation before we decide what it might be about. Certainly nothing else would suggest anything other than the normal Valkyrie being the protagonist.
    The existence of Asgardians of the Galaxy? i.e. she already has a book? And the fact Jason Aaron is involved and he's NOT the AOTG writer.

And revealing just a logo and the writers is highly unusual. You would usually expect artwork.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    People do, happily, go into remission from cancer all the time.
    Indeed for me and others like me, who have close family members or loved ones fighting cancer, showing a cancer survivor as a strong and independent character is pretty important and goes a small way to help us come to terms with whatever may happen in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

And revealing just a logo and the writers is highly unusual. You would usually expect artwork.
    Not with this kind of long term future reveal you wouldn’t. All I am saying is let’s wait for the solicitation before we wind up the Jane naysayers.

If it is her, and it seems very unlikely it will be, then I would be OK with it. But I would much prefer her to be herself or Thor, than to take up some secondary mantle that would only encourage all the people that moaned about her being Thor in the first place. Those of us that were taking Aaron on face value got very sick of all the Thoris or Lady Thor references, or calls for her to be a valkyrie instead. It missed the point then, and it would still.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-06-2019 at 05:24 AM.

And I never made any of these assertions. I effectively just said it’s pretty easy to enjoy and almost all of these kinds of objections, are a stretch and hard to justify in the light of the actual story. I hope a good part of it is just humour, but as jokes go ‘Jane is a Mary Sue’ is neither funny or well observed. You make my point for me by objecting to Jane being in the spotlight. That isn’t a critique or a quality assessment, that’s just a personal annoyance that many seem to have cultivated into an attack.
    except you do.

you almost call out me or other's who don't like something Aaron did or how we are myopic (not saying you said we are myopic but there are other's who did it).

I never called you out on how you can like this, only when we are arguing about Odinforce being split, how Thor and Odin are treated etc.

after that, we are just going in circles.

saying some stuff like how it's only in our heads that way or we don't understand is something that I personally don't like, especially when we said time and times again we don't like it.

ImmortalHulk and I were having fun obviously.
    Last edited by GodThor; 04-06-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Indeed for me and others like me, who have close family members or loved ones fighting cancer, showing a cancer survivor as a strong and independent character is pretty important and goes a small way to help us come to terms with whatever may happen in the long term.
    I think Aaron handled Jane's cancer relatively well. The cancer being shown to actually be quite treatable and not just an automatic death sentence was refreshing, but it doesn't diminish just how terrifying and awful it would be, especially when Jane could just become this powerful, healthy entity when she pleased.

except you do.

you almost call out me or other's who don't like something Aaron did or how we are myopic (not saying you said we are myopic but there are other's who did it).
    Actually I have often used the term myopic. You probably are thinking of me. I say that because I prefer the term to short sighted which I think is more negative. When I use the term I try and use it generally to refer to a specific fan trait, wilfully ignoring what is on the page and instead coming to their own conclusions about what is happening that actually mischaracterises what is on the page. I will usually turn from the direct ‘you’ type challenge to more general phrases when I use words like myopic, because I try very hard not to make it personal. I have no desire to attack anyone, but I do sometimes wish to challenge the ideas and explain how I hear certain types of complaint.

However it is personal to actively attack a writer over and over by name and then to attribute some negative context to that attack. Saying for example ‘well it’s Aaron so of course Odin is rubbish’ is a personal attack. It wilfully ignores the story he is telling, and seeks to undermine his achievements and his plaudits. It is a form of minimising rhetoric. It doesn’t have a basis in actual fact.

I never called you out on how you can like this, only when we are arguing about Odinforce being split, how Thor and Odin are treated etc.

after that, we are just going in circles.
    But they are circles of choice. I have no problem with the kind of criticism that owns personal opinion. If someone honestly expresses that they felt personally betrayed by Aaron choosing to spotlight Jane, then fair enough, I can understand what they are saying. That isn’t the same as reframing the narrative such that Aaron is actively betraying anyone. He isn’t, he is just doing his job.

saying some stuff like how it's only in our heads that way or we don't understand is something that I personally don't like, especially when we said time and times again we don't like it.

ImmortalHulk and I were having fun obviously.
    Yes, I can see that, but it comes across as sniping from the sidelines. What I mean by ‘in your head’ is that Aaron isn’t portraying Jane as more powerful than every denizen of the Realms. You are. That may indeed be a joke, but combined with active attacks on the writer, such continual jibes become more barbed. I am not saying you are delusional, I am saying that you are wilfully distorting the truth. It is hard for us to know if it is comedic or serious.