Page 47 of 85 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

He cannot wield the power because he does not believe he or any of his kind should be using the power, so he is seeking a higher state of virtue that will allow him to overcome that doubt. But he doesn't know how to get there, how to meet the higher standard that he's formed in his head, and the current conflict is keeping him occupied with other things. The hammer in turn, will not be used by someone who doesn't believe they should be using it. The obstacle to Thor lifting it is Thor.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    He cannot wield the power because he does not believe he or any of his kind should be using the power, so he is seeking a higher state of virtue that will allow him to overcome that doubt. But he doesn't know how to get there, how to meet the higher standard that he's formed in his head, and the current conflict is keeping him occupied with other things. The hammer in turn, will not be used by someone who doesn't believe they should be using it. The obstacle to Thor lifting it is Thor.
    So, basically, Thor is trying too hard and overthinking his worthiness to the point where he comes of as less worthy then he did .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So, basically, Thor is trying too hard and overthinking his worthiness to the point where he comes of as less worthy then he did .
    Yeah, it's for this reason I truly doubt that Aaron's Thor will stand the test of time.

Thor's arc is basically him internalizing the racist comments of Gorr, echoed by career liar Nick Fury and his depression being legitimized by the enchantment on his hammer.

Because I'm truly at a loss as to how an immortal God who risks his life for people without a fraction of his lifespan could become more worthy.
    Last edited by The Cool Thatguy; 04-09-2019 at 11:26 AM.

That sounds more like how young Thor viewed his worthiness then adult Thor.
    Well that is my point. That’s how he became worthy before. He doesn’t know any other way and that way won’t work for him. The best he can be is a better god and gods are not worthy. But this really isn’t the forum to discuss this. This issue has always derailed threads because it relies upon a logical formula which is then often argued about.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well that is my point. That’s how he became worthy before. He doesn’t know any other way and that way won’t work for him. The best he can be is a better god and gods are not worthy. But this really isn’t the forum to discuss this. This issue has always derailed threads because it relies upon a logical formula which is then often argued about.
    Is it? The future Thor sister trio seemed to imply it was him acting in a way against that which finally let him lift Mjolnir.

Is it? The future Thor sister trio seemed to imply it was him acting in a way against that which finally let him lift Mjolnir.
    Well we will find out soon, because Aaron is about to rewrite it according to the solicitations.

Originally it has nothing whatsoever to do with lifting Mjölnir. Odin just handed it to him.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Well we will find out soon, because Aaron is about to rewrite it according to the solicitations.

Originally it has nothing whatsoever to do with lifting Mjölnir. Odin just handed it to him.
    Nope. Go back and read the Lee and Kirby run.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Nope. Go back and read the Lee and Kirby run.
    If you have a reference then just show it. I don’t believe I am wrong here.

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

If you have a reference then just show it. I don’t believe I am wrong here.
    Tales of Asgard shows how Thor received Mjolnir and it wasn’t because it was just handed to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Tales of Asgard shows how Thor received Mjolnir and it wasn’t because it was just handed to him.
    I suspect JK will say that Tales of Asgard isn't canon, but I'll post the relevant panels for you anyway:

Tales of Asgard has been psuedo re-written to make the hammer lifting more of a big deal and its own story when in the original books it was more like a method of benchmarking his growth.

Tales of Asgard has never been canonical. It wasn’t intended to be. Some writers have tried to incorporate parts of it, and much has been adopted, but things like this have been directly contradicted by canonical sources. Not that I would have a problem with that being made canonical again if a writer chose to do so.

Tales of Asgard has been psuedo re-written to make the hammer lifting more of a big deal and its own story when in the original books it was more like a method of benchmarking his growth.
    Indeed this is the way it always read to me. Which allowed it to not be too contradictory when they wrote Annual #11, where Odin just gives it to him.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-09-2019 at 01:58 PM.

The way it works with Tales with how messy last century Thor history is, is that it was all shunted away when Thomas became the God of retcons until JMS when they started reinterpreting and making them hard canon.

The way it works with Tales with how messy last century Thor history is, is that it was all shunted away when Thomas became the God of retcons until JMS when they started reinterpreting and making them hard canon.
    Indeed. I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of what everyone takes for granted about Thor was somewhat reinterpreted by Thomas, and from that point on the editorial team have clearly had a hand on the tiller, to try and keep things straight. But we have all had multiple iterations of these discussions on the Thor appreciation thread. It’s not really what this thread is about. Let’s face it, with the news that Aaron is not finishing with WotR we may not see Thor worthy in this event.

Mighty Member

Indeed. I agree wholeheartedly. A lot of what everyone takes for granted about Thor was somewhat reinterpreted by Thomas, and from that point on the editorial team have clearly had a hand on the tiller, to try and keep things straight. But we have all had multiple iterations of these discussions on the Thor appreciation thread. It’s not really what this thread is about. Let’s face it, with the news that Aaron is not finishing with WotR we may not see Thor worthy in this event.
    I think I'd like it if Odinson didn't become worthy in War of the Realms. It would be predictable imo. It would also make it seem like punching things is the way to become worthy, when I believe it's more about smaller, mundane instances in his life. Odinson has always fought huge battles and been the big strong fighter, but lots of beings do that. Soldiers do that every day. As I have interpreted the story, Odinson cannot win back his worthiness by hitting the right thing at the right time but by taking a much deeper look at himself and how he as a god interacts with mortals.