Page 60 of 85 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I always thought the Asgardian thing against magic had more to do with its culture super embracing masculinity, while magic was seen as being much more feminine. Magic is often depicted as being sneaky and dark, while just plain fighting is, well, much more out in the open. Of course, Asgard has always used magic when things got tough and in recent years it's seemed to be more accepted. It's also one very big area where Freya has Odin and Thor beat.
    In that vein, the seithr magic championed by the Freya/Freyja of myth *was* pretty much exclusively 'woman's magic' (and dealt with mostly divinations, illusions, glamers, enchantments, curses, etc. no force fields or magic zaps) while men focused on forging magic weapons and armors or casting runes and changing shape. It was very sexist by some modern day interpretations, but could be presented a bit differently today.

Loki, unsurprisingly, was good at both 'men's magic' (shapeshifting) *and* 'woman's magic' (illusion, curses) because, surprise surprise, he's all about breaking the rules and exploring stuff that society tells him he shouldn't.

Both Odin and Freya were pretty territorial when it came to keeping seithr to approved people (in her case) and keeping the secrets of the runes to himself (in his case). Either sort of magic seemed limited to those who their respective patrons thought had 'earned it' and not just any schmoe with a bag of plastic Futhark runes they bought online.

I always thought the Asgardian thing against magic had more to do with its culture super embracing masculinity, while magic was seen as being much more feminine. Magic is often depicted as being sneaky and dark, while just plain fighting is, well, much more out in the open. Of course, Asgard has always used magic when things got tough and in recent years it's seemed to be more accepted. It's also one very big area where Freya has Odin and Thor beat.
    I guess when you think of the most prominent Asgardian mages you come up with Enchantress, her sister, Karnilla, and Loki who's sometimes is a woman...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    She has experience, she just doesn't have her powers.
    Say what you will about Aaron, but I like that Freya gets her due sometimes when he's in charge of her development.

BANNED

She has experience, she just doesn't have her powers.
    Experience ? Lol no, not even close, not compared to LITERALLY everyone on the room, let alone asgardians who have hundreds or thousands of years more experience, literally.

Say what you will about Aaron, but I like that Freya gets her due sometimes when he's in charge of her development.
    I don't even feel like Freyja was really a thing until Aaron started writing Thor to begin with, at least as a character (and not part of those "All-Mothers" of the Fraction era).

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't even feel like Freyja was really a thing until Aaron started writing Thor to begin with, at least as a character (and not part of those "All-Mothers" of the Fraction era).
    I never really understood the concept of the All-Mothers was it because they laid claim (in a motherhood way) on Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I never really understood the concept of the All-Mothers was it because they laid claim on Thor?
    I think one of them was his biological mother, one of them was the mother that raised them, and I think another was one of Odin's lovers? It was a weird time .

https://www.cbr.com/war-of-the-realm...ery-ares-evil/

Looks like we’ve got the reason why Ares is the villain of Journey into Mystery and it really seems like when this is all over, Herc is gonna have to have a talk with his brother about what amounts to a heroic death because I don’t think Phobos would be able to look his father in the face if he heard what a treacherous thing he did simply to be reunited with him.

Based on how No Road Home ended... Herc's not around. Ares missed the Rapture - the Olympian Gods are getting retooled as cosmic deities.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The MI6, the Champions of Europe... International heroes are getting trashed in that event.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/war-of-the-realm...ery-ares-evil/

Looks like we’ve got the reason why Ares is the villain of Journey into Mystery and it really seems like when this is all over, Herc is gonna have to have a talk with his brother about what amounts to a heroic death because I don’t think Phobos would be able to look his father in the face if he heard what a treacherous thing he did simply to be reunited with him.
    Can someone remind me on how Ares came back to life and where was he all this time? The last thing I remember was Sentry ripping him in half.

And speaking on Asgardians and magic and powers, I always was disappointed that most if not all of the "gods" were just glorified super-humans other than Odin, Thor, Heimdall and the Enchantress. I never counted Loki because he's just a diminutive giant. At least Freyja was shown to have some kind of power in WotR Strike Force. I miss Balder's light base powers and Sif's sword that could "carve" doorways to teleport. In my opinion, all of Odin's sons, even the ones Marvel seem to forget about, like Tyr (dead), Hermod and Vidar, should have powers greater than the average Asgardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Can someone remind me on how Ares came back to life and where was he all this time? The last thing I remember was Sentry ripping him in half.

And speaking on Asgardians and magic and powers, I always was disappointed that most if not all of the "gods" were just glorified super-humans other than Odin, Thor, Heimdall and the Enchantress. I never counted Loki because he's just a diminutive giant. At least Freyja was shown to have some kind of power in WotR Strike Force. I miss Balder's light base powers and Sif's sword that could "carve" doorways to teleport. In my opinion, all of Odin's sons, even the ones Marvel seem to forget about, like Tyr (dead), Hermod and Vidar, should have powers greater than the average Asgardian.
    He was brought back in the Contest of Champions book just after Secret Wars where he was summoned to Battlerealm to be a fighter. Once that ended, he remained alive as a member of the Champions of Europe and showed up again during Secret Empire when Hydra tried to take over Europe as well.

Unfortunately, the Champions of Europe had to go. Ewing gave them that name, in reference to them being survivors from the Contest of Champions now based in Europe... only for the teenage Champions team to form at around the same time. The name Champions of Europe makes them sound like an offshoot, when in fact they're not connected. If the CoE continues to appear, it needs a new name.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    The MI6, the Champions of Europe... International heroes are getting trashed in that event.
    Well that’s annoying.

Unfortunately, the Champions of Europe had to go. Ewing gave them that name, in reference to them being survivors from the Contest of Champions now based in Europe... only for the teenage Champions team to form at around the same time. The name Champions of Europe makes them sound like an offshoot, when in fact they're not connected. If the CoE continues to appear, it needs a new name.
    Personally, I say it makes more sense for them to have the name given that they are literally the winners of the Contest of Champions vs a group of teenagers who chose to name themselves this because...reasons.