Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1265

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He didn't actually do anything to become Unworthy though, it's supposedly all just mental.
    Redemption is an abstract concept exactly the same as worthiness. Redemption is not always about doing something or atonement, it can be about being saved, reclaiming or being freed from sin.

Plus, as I have pointed out many times it is simplifying the situation to suggest it is ‘all just mental’. It is paradigmatic and within that new paradigm, objective. Thor knows it isn’t just how he thinks of himself that counts. He can’t just pretend he never knew the intrinsic unworthy nature of his heritage. A redemptive element probably will be required, but it may need to be made manifest by others rather than himself. A new apotheosis perhaps.

He needs to become something new, not go back to who he was. There is an inherent similarity to the concept of Original Sin. Funny that!
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Given the preview shown, I see that there is a very good opportunity for JA to write a SWaD part two that is unfortunately going to be missed

I have been catching up with many of the tie-ins.

I very much enjoyed the Loki story in War Scrolls #2, it is inconsequential but nicely written.

The Agents of Atlas story just feels irrelevant and is trying to do too much. Overall it feels disjointed.

Which brings me to JitM which is equally disjointed but at least nominally tells a story that will tie back into the main event. The problem with JitM is that those of us that have been following the Thor story for years know full well the supposed “reveal” that Laussa is in some way possessed or demonic. Yes we will potentially get the answer in this tie-in or have it set up for the main event, but it didn’t really need a wild and whacky story that is slowly turning into a Scooby-Doo tribute to tell us this.

The Thor tie-in was excellent. Full of pathos, thematically crafted to sit alongside the rest of the Thor run and point to the future while commenting upon and having an effect on the war. Thor seems to be mainly done-in-one character pieces right now. But each of them have been very well written.

The three Strikeforce books were a mixed bag. I have already expressed my opinion on the others. The Land of Giants one felt quite similar to War Avengers but with Spider-Man swapped out for Deadpool. Spider-Man felt far too quippy and literally used as a clown. Overall it just expands upon their mission and retreads its beats. Not really adding anything. Its saving grace was the expansion of the Thor fight, which gave it more context and made it feel more epic.

Agents of Asgard is taking the story of Valkyrie in the direction some of us wanted. Referring back to Fearless Defenders and endeavouring to save Annabelle. The story at least adds to the overall event rather than rehashing or expanding on specific scenes.

Spider-Man and the League of Realms is a very strange beast. A separate team story which doesn’t fully make use of its team aside from some establishing dialogue. The strangest decision is to have the central emotional beat about an Angel that ‘uniquely’ fell in love with another angel. So the two main stories about Angels in the MU have pretty much the same motivation. Odd choice. Overall it feels like a disposable story and I can’t work out if it is a backdoor pilot for a potential Asgardian ongoing, or just a mini. Either way I think it is fluff.

Giant-Man also falls into this odd gap between potential ongoing and tie-in. It pulls together a team of Pym particle characters on the request of Freyja, to disguise themselves as Frost Giants. It’s actually quite an enjoyable romp so far, and beneath the comedic surface there is a mythic/folklore core that I am intrigued by. Probably the most separate tie-in, but successful.

The Moon Girl story has to be the oddest one. It makes zero sense chronologically. Moon Girl tells what feels like an incomplete story of the time she was ‘kidnapped’ by a worthy Thor and flown to Asgard to solve a riddle. At no point would this fit into the ongoing continuity of the MU, so it has to heavily rely on at least being a good story. Maybe I am missing something that a clever ten year old would pick up on, but for me it made no sense as a riddle either.

The Venom tie-ins are very odd. I suspect I would need to be reading Venom but I am lost. I just don’t understand anything that happens or where it fits.

The X-Men tie-in took a turn towards how the X-Men are dealing with the situation. Passingly interesting but ultimately unnecessary. Much like X-Men since Bendis was pulled away from the franchise.

The Champions tie-in also ties into the X-Men book, but it is far more successful. A genuinely poignant and well timed character piece that actually continues the ongoing narrative and makes use of the war backdrop instead of pausing the story and telling a WotR done-in-one. Well crafted and an example of how all tie-ins that are part of ongoings should work.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-31-2019 at 07:12 AM.

BANNED

if he wasn't unworthy before he certainly is now after slaughtering aliens and colluding with hydra.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    if he wasn't unworthy before he certainly is now after slaughtering aliens and colluding with hydra.
    Is this perhaps aimed at the wrong thread?

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    Again, no ideas on what will happen? Maybe Thor will do a drastic sacrifice in order to obtain more power.

Angela’s getting a new series out of this, but i want to know where skurge is gonna end up.

Some predicted it, some dreaded it but Aaron has gone and done it!

No, not the last page reveal of #5...

spoilers:
    Jane lifting the broken Ultimate Mjolnir and apparently reforming it in agony.
    end of spoilers

Nearly all of us were expecting something like that. Leave a hammer lying around someone will always pick it up. But...

spoilers:
    Thor deciding to hang himself on the newly growing Yggdrasil, or perhaps a better name for this one would be Þórrdrasill, in order to gain a better understanding of his plight is pretty much the only way it was ever going to go down.

If you start the story of the unworthiness of the gods and call it Original Sin you will inevitably have to go full on Christ in order to redeem them. The parallels with Odin on the world tree and Christ on the cross have always been noted after all.

Boy does Dauterman do it justice. A gorgeous crucifixion / tarot reference.

It occurs to me we may have both the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane and the Crucifixion in the space of a few pages. If so then Jane may die before she becomes Valkyrie.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.

BANNED

Jane could die given her actions but I think it's all father Thor whose dying is most likely among the lot as he hasn't anything to return to but a doomed universe he can't save and mostly is on his way out like old man phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    Jane could die given her actions but I think it's all father Thor whose dying is most likely among the lot as he hasn't anything to return to but a doomed universe he can't save and mostly is on his way out like old man phoenix.
    Possibly. It could explain how Thor gets his hammer back.

Either way, dead old Thor or not, it would be funny if Thor takes-back that hammer and they never really spell out the Mjolnir Time Loop and leave it to the fans to work out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Possibly. It could explain how Thor gets his hammer back.

Either way, dead old Thor or not, it would be funny if Thor takes-back that hammer and they never really spell out the Mjolnir Time Loop and leave it to the fans to work out.
    that would take some doing for those who were not following the run from the beginning and may have missed some key issues.

spoilers:
    The only thing more powerful than the F4 toppling Laufey like Galactus and Ulik getting horny on main is best boy Balder finally getting to be happy with that sweet demon car.
    end of spoilers
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

So, when Jane says that she knows that Thor is trying to find the answer to Malekith's challenge, because she heard the challenge herself, what issue is this in? I re-read all the WoR issues and there was never a scene where Thor, Jane, and Malekith's were all together. It must've been in some previous issue of Thor (or a tie-in, less likely) but I don't recall. Can anyone weigh in?