Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Can you imagine Disney adapting Frankenstein like they did The Hunchback?

And other classic "monsters"!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

No because at their core they are horror stories. They gonna transform the works completely to make them family friendly affairs with happy endings.

Mighty Member

Yeah, but it'so freaky. And everybody loves Claude Frollo by Tony Jay!

If you think about it, a lot of the source material that Disney uses for their stuff can be considered horror stories though. A lot of fairy tales are basically horror stories you tell kids.

What's wrong with Hotel Transylvania?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    And other classic "monsters"!
    Not in theaters as nothing in Disney's immediate future focuses on Horror. But if we're talking the streaming service, probably, but they would work with an established property first and foremost before delving into other things.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I can see the Phantom of the Opera working as a Disney movie.

Mighty Member

It would have to be in the creepy cute design Disney gave Quasimodo. By the way, Frankenstein, Dracula, and Mr. Hyde were in the 1930s cartoon, Mickey's Premiere.

Disney could easily do something like this with a good script/

I'm guessing misunderstood monster turned hero or savior at the end.

Or you could make Doctor Frankenstein the good intentioned protagonist in a more traditional story, but than put a Disney spin on it with some powerful (yet not too deep or political) message at the end
    The J-man

Invincible Member

Do you mean making it a semi-musical? Perhaps?

There's been kid friendly versions of the Frankenstein Monster for decades though.

oh yeah I forget all these Disney movies need to be musicals.

Just let Pixar do it so I don't have to sit through 50 minutes of singing like Frozen
    The J-man

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Is Igor gonna be the loveable sidekick character?
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Disney could easily do something like this with a good script/

I'm guessing misunderstood monster turned hero or savior at the end.

Or you could make Doctor Frankenstein the good intentioned protagonist in a more traditional story, but than put a Disney spin on it with some powerful (yet not too deep or political) message at the end
    I guess Doctor Frankenstein loses his soldier brother and creates the monster to replace him? the film ends with Doc learning to let him go as the monster makes a heroic sacrifice?

BANNED

Only as a parody!

Extraordinary Member

Frankenstein at it's core is a tragic horror story. If you go by the novel it ends with Victor's wife dead and a broken Victor traveling in the Arctic to hunt his creation where he eventually dies and a grief stricken monster vowing to commit suicide.

If you go by the films, it has the monster accidentally killing a girl and then being burned down at a windmill by the angry townsfolk.

You could never really do the two main interpretations of it properly. They could Hunchback it and completely change the ending to make it happier but it's so contradictory to either source. At least in Hunchback there was an end goal that could have led to a happy ending if not for a key betrayal. In Frankenstein all roads lead to tragedy.

It just wouldn't work. Also not for nothing, Disney likes to take stories that are known but don't have that one definitive widely accepted adaptation. A lot of the Brothers Grimm stories were changed over the years by different interpretations so Disney had leeway to make their own and definitive take on it. You couldn't do that with Frankenstein or any of the Universal Horror Monsters. I think Disney would shy away knowing that they could never supercede Karloff in the collective minds of the public.