Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Couples that we were supposed to like but don't

When couples are put together by TPTB, it is with the hope that they will be liked by the audience. A lot of the time, that works. However, there are times when it fails horribly. No matter what they do, those couples are just hated. Sometimes, the course is stayed, like with Nate and Amaya on Legends of Tomorrow. Other times, losses are cut, like with Oliver and Laurel on Arrow.

A prime example is almost any couple on Supernatural. Special mention goes to Sam and Amelia, whose relationship was so hated that it was mostly shown in flashbacks. Mid-season, Amelia was written out completely. Note that neither Sam or Dean has had a real love interest since.

Mighty Member

Mako too, should choose a life of solitary celibacy.

LOL. I thought the problem with "Supernatural" is that any girlfriends would get in the way of incest fan-shippers.

I feel like Oliver and Felicity are more applicable here than Oliver and Laurel.

Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    I feel like Oliver and Felicity are more applicable here than Oliver and Laurel.
    I've always liked Oliver and Felicity together, but I do understand where the hate comes from. There are times when the writing of Felicity feels like a Mary Sue run amok.

The funny thing is that despite their relationship in the comics, in the Arrowverse I never liked the idea of Oliver and Laurel together. There was just too much toxic history between them.

I think a prime example would be Kara and James. How else can you explain just how fast she dumped him in Season 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL. I thought the problem with "Supernatural" is that any girlfriends would get in the way of incest fan-shippers.
    I was just about to say Dean and Sam are practically each other's love interest as is...

I actually agree. I don't like Oliver and Laurel together that much either... I just meant that in terms of fan backlash Oliver and Felicity seems a better fit. Sarah has been the only love interest I've liked for him.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't think there's a single ship within the Arrowverse I actually like. Diggle's marriage is the only one I don't hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think there's a single ship within the Arrowverse I actually like. Diggle's marriage is the only one I don't hate.
    What about Ray and Nate?

Hermione and Ron. These two are terrible for each other. Ron is the ordinary guy surrounded by extraordinary people, always had been. He's also very sensitive about that. And Hermione really is an insufferable know-it-all most of the time.

Harry and Ginny aren't much better either. Ginny was a fangirl, but she seemed to have had moved on. Harry never saw her in any kind of romantic or sexual manner, and suddenly in Half-Blood Prince he can't seem to control his hormones around her.

Speaking of HP, the whole Luna and Neville thing in the movie was so forced and out of nowhere that i actually laughed at the idea the first time i watched part 8.

Thankfully, it doesn't take much screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Speaking of HP, the whole Luna and Neville thing in the movie was so forced and out of nowhere that i actually laughed at the idea the first time i watched part 8.

Thankfully, it doesn't take much screen time.
    I was honestly half hoping Harry and Luna would get together in the films. They at least had some chemistry.

Ultimate Member

Well to be fair the movies and the books are totally different when it comes to Harry and Ginny, in the books they start spending time together way back in the 3rd one, nothing romantic by any stretch but she starts hanging around with the trio in the summer and during the year from time to time, then more and more as the years go on so that by the time that Harry gets on the train in the 6th year he feels lonely without her, so it's not totally out of the blue...and if you go back and look many times when Harry points out that he sees Ginny it's usually in a positive manner before the 6th book. As for Ron and Hermione their traits are exaggerated by some and the movies cut out a great deal of Ron and the other Weasley's storylines, Ron isn't as ordinary as some like to think, he's smart he just doesn't feel the need to show it after growing up with Percy and being at odds with him so he's had years to be annoyed by bossy know it alls before he ever met Hermione, and most of their fights were about their feelings for each other getting in the way, their worry about the situation that they and Harry were in every year, and then that they were used to show the two sides of an argument going on in Harry's head. After all when he'd finally yell at them for fighting all of the time their response was not to yell at him but to looked scandalized that he yelled at them, as if them fighting was totally normal and that neither really ever meant what they were saying for the most part.

Ron and Hermione's fights calmed down a lot towards the end of the series and I don't remember anyone saying that they were glad that Harry was back so that he could deal with the pair fighting. Always also thought that the brain attack at the Ministry in 5th year is what caused the locket horcrux to affect Ron more, or at least it contributed greatly.

Yeah Luna and Neville was just for the movie as she ended up with Newt Scamander's like great grandson or something like that and he with Hannah Abbot I believe...

In the Harry Potter verse I'm pretty much a canon shipper through and through...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well to be fair the movies and the books are totally different when it comes to Harry and Ginny, in the books they start spending time together way back in the 3rd one, nothing romantic by any stretch but she starts hanging around with the trio in the summer and during the year from time to time, then more and more as the years go on so that by the time that Harry gets on the train in the 6th year he feels lonely without her, so it's not totally out of the blue...and if you go back and look many times when Harry points out that he sees Ginny it's usually in a positive manner before the 6th book. As for Ron and Hermione their traits are exaggerated by some and the movies cut out a great deal of Ron and the other Weasley's storylines, Ron isn't as ordinary as some like to think, he's smart he just doesn't feel the need to show it after growing up with Percy and being at odds with him so he's had years to be annoyed by bossy know it alls before he ever met Hermione, and most of their fights were about their feelings for each other getting in the way, their worry about the situation that they and Harry were in every year, and then that they were used to show the two sides of an argument going on in Harry's head. After all when he'd finally yell at them for fighting all of the time their response was not to yell at him but to looked scandalized that he yelled at them, as if them fighting was totally normal and that neither really ever meant what they were saying for the most part.

Ron and Hermione's fights calmed down a lot towards the end of the series and I don't remember anyone saying that they were glad that Harry was back so that he could deal with the pair fighting. Always also thought that the brain attack at the Ministry in 5th year is what caused the locket horcrux to affect Ron more, or at least it contributed greatly.

Yeah Luna and Neville was just for the movie as she ended up with Newt Scamander's like great grandson or something like that and he with Hannah Abbot I believe...

In the Harry Potter verse I'm pretty much a canon shipper through and through...
    I was actually going by the books thogh. And honestly, movies made them slightly better. They just fought and fought and fought. Ron insults her know-it-all attitude, Hermione insults his lack of intelligence. There is so much more showing why they would be such a terrible couple, but I digress.

And yes, Ron is ordinary. The most unique thing about him is that he's good at chess, which should make him a good strategist , but it's never shown. It's in the same category as "Slytherine isn't the evil house!".
    Last edited by SpiderClops; 11-17-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Ultimate Member

They didn't really fight all of the time, they'd bicker from time to time but not as much as some have stated that they did...I don't see Ron having a problem with a know it all, he has a problem with one that makes a point of it...I think that Hermione makes fun of his emotional range but not really his intelligence, she just at times doesn't have patience for those not on her level, that's not the most unique thing about him and Ron did show that he was a good strategist when he beat McGonagall's chess set, and remember that it's Harry's story so he had to be the one making the plan...and I don't remember any of the Slytherin's doing much good if any at all, I don't remember any of them being nice or good people, Slughorn has plenty of character flaws...

I disagree about things showing that they'd be a terrible couple, they fight less and less as the series goes on and Harry only yells at them when he's frustrated and upset about something else and their bickering is just the breaking point for him...

Extraordinary Member

The thing with Harry was that from Book 3 through Book 5 he had a side storyline of crushing on Cho Chang. Then they finally sort of dated but it was kind of a mess and it ended in Book 5. I think there was an intention to kind of have Harry going after this girl he built up and then realizing she wasn't what he thought he wanted and was just a normal person dealing with her own stuff and then you'd have Ginny who was sort of always on the periphery and understood Harry more than any girl besides Hermione and it was more of a natural fit. They became friends first and then feelings developed when they were both single.

Also as far as Ron and Hermione fighting you have to realize that the books had the advantage of being much longer and their was more downtime between the off day argument the two of them had. Alot of those occured in important scenes so in the films where a lot of was trimmed it was more dominant.

Don't have a problem with either couple but I think part of it was Rowling wanting to wrap a bow on her stories at the end. You could have easily ended it with Harry, Ron, and Hermione marrying some random people who maybe did or didn't go to Hogwarts. But I think she wanted to keep it tight knit.