Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Should Superman be taller than most heroes?

Just wanted to get other folks take on this. In the books, Superman is normally drawn taller/bulkier than other heroes like Batman, Flash, Aquaman, etc. In the JL movie, Batman and Aquaman are obviously larger than Superman and in the CW, Flash and Green arrow are definitely taller.

Astonishing Member

The more exceptional looking Superman is, the more it hangs a lantern on Clark Kent. Plus his powers don't require him to be some chiseled Adonis. I prefer Superman to look more like an average guy than the Hulk.

Yes I prefer when Superman is tall or at least among the tallest DC superheroes, and also very muscular looking but not overly like The Rock, just very athletic. He should always standout among the rest, imo.

That said, I don't have many complains about Henry Cavill, he was tall enough and very muscular and handsome, and he also had great presence and voice.

The CW Superman is not terrible looking for TV, but it does bother me a lot that he is quite shorter than James Olsen...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Reeve was 6'4" which is taller than they list in DC comics, and it still worked perfectly. For me personally, it ends up not being a thought that he's tall so much as he's not someone you'd describe as "smaller than" unless your go-to reference is a basketball player.

For all that's made of height in pop culture, it's a completely random thing that has very few practical implications. Under 6'5" I think people get over it quickly if they even look twice.

Retired

1940s Superman looked average height. Covers Fred Ray.

When Wayne Boring redesigned the Man of Tomorrow in the late 1940s (after Siegel and Shuster had left), that's when the Action Ace became taller and bulkier. I prefer the regular looking feller, because it looks more spectacular to me when an unimposing figure displays powers far beyond what one would expect from such an individual.

I don't think he needs to be taller than most. Average height seems right to me. Wonder Woman should always be taller than him though.

tumblr_lykx7cU3FR1rov42mo1_500.jpg

I'm fine with Superman being average or a bit over average height.

It's not his height that should make him stand out anyway. It's his posture and the way he handles himself. Even if he's not tall, he stands tall and captures your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don't think he needs to be taller than most. Average height seems right to me. Wonder Woman should always be taller than him though.

tumblr_lykx7cU3FR1rov42mo1_500.jpg
    No she shouldn't.

Annual Superman 11_39.jpg

I like Super to be 6'2 to 6'4 but no shorter nor taller.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    No she shouldn't.

Annual Superman 11_39.jpg
    No, she shouldn't. She should be taller than the average woman, of course, but there's no precedent for her being taller than Clark.

I prefer Superman to be taller than average, but no more than 6'4". And he should be muscular, not like a bodybuilder, but like you would expect someone who grew up doing heavy physical chores would be.

It doesn't really matter to me. I like him pretty tall, but nothing crazy, and he doesn't have to be the tallest hero or anything like that in my mind to be happy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-17-2018 at 06:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Slightly taller than a robotic child.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker Venom View Post
    No, she shouldn't. She should be taller than the average woman, of course, but there's no precedent for her being taller than Clark.
    Darwyn Cooke thought so. That's good enough for me.

Retired

Lynda Carter and Gal Gadot are both 5' 10"--and with high-heeled boots and big hair, look a bit taller.

Wonder Woman started out in the 1940s looking about average height for a woman and much shorter than a man. But super-heroes in general seem to have gotten taller over the decades.

I thought Lynda Carter was 5'11" and WW in the 1940's between 5'6 and 5'8"?