Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What should happen to men on Themyscira?

Like it says. Originally Steve Trevor landed, but in the Silver Age, if men reached the island, all the Amazons would lose their powers. Later on there are versions where they feel that they have to kill Steve, or banish any amazons that bring men to the island. What do you think they should do?

Nothing, because there shouldn't be any men on the island in the first place. I miss the sci-fy floating platforms men had to stand on in the Bronze Age to keep from touching the island's soil. Barring that, Themyscira should protect itself against unwanted male intrusion. I'm thinking of vicious attacks from mythological beasts that rise up in bloodlust at the scent of excess testosterone, but lie dormant in the presence of estrogen.

The Bronze Age version is that if a man were to land on the island, all the Amazons would lose their senses and fall in love with him. I think the punishment for a man entering Amazon Island though should be a denecking.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The Bronze Age version is that if a man were to land on the island, all the Amazons would lose their senses and fall in love with him. I think the punishment for a man entering Amazon Island though should be a denecking.
    Uh are you saying they should be killed? That’s a little extreme don’t you think?

My own personal opinion is that men can’t stay permanently on the island without the Amazons losing their immortality, but that brief periods of men being there are acceptable. They do have to leave though.

Incredible Member

These comments of beheading and killing any men who stumble on the island seems real harsh and make the Amazons out to be man-hating B's. They should be a little more enlightened then that. I'd like that men can visit for a short time but any long term stay (over a few days) they'll start to lose their strength and begin to age. For visiting males they should build an off-shore platform to conduct or host any business.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Uh are you saying they should be killed? That’s a little extreme don’t you think?

My own personal opinion is that men can’t stay permanently on the island without the Amazons losing their immortality, but that brief periods of men being there are acceptable. They do have to leave though.
    Amazon Island should be a safe space from men though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Amazon Island should be a safe space from men though.
    If someone accidentally washes up on Themyscaria and they cut his head off for doing so, that’s murder. If something like what happened in the movie, with invaders trying to conquer Themyscaria, then sure the Amazons can defend themselves. But unless you’re a fan of Azz’s Amazons, having the Amazons slaughter any man who appears on Themyscaria regardless of intentions is going to make them appear pretty evil or at the very least callous.

That's why I said the island should have it's own defense capabilities (Megalodons, harpies, sirens, rabid kangas, etc.) I don't want the Amazons killing people. If you don't like beasts, tech would suffice.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 11-18-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If someone accidentally washes up on Themyscaria and they cut his head off for doing so, that’s murder. If something like what happened in the movie, with invaders trying to conquer Themyscaria, then sure the Amazons can defend themselves. But unless you’re a fan of Azz’s Amazons, having the Amazons slaughter any man who appears on Themyscaria regardless of intentions is going to make them appear pretty evil or at the very least callous.

The idea doesn't go back just to Azzarello (which to be fair, in his run he never prescribes death to male visitors).
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-18-2018 at 04:47 PM.

I posted long ago that the island should be enchanted to destroy maleness... rather than kill men. It transforms the male chromosome into the female one. Men that exist within the magical bubble of Themyscira get sick and die from the transformation, unless tended to by Amazon sorceress-physicians, or sent out. The design was to keep male gods out as well.

I liked it as a creepy solution but the only problem I had was trying to keep male Cyclops, Satyrs, and Centaurs on the island and alive.

I don’t think Themyscira should be reached without an invitation or a blessing from the gods.

For me it depends on the reason. For example, Steve or any other male that was hurt should be healed and sent on his way. However, the amazons have until sundown to make sure any man is off the island or else he turns into a monster. The reason is because the island is cursed.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Like it says. Originally Steve Trevor landed, but in the Silver Age, if men reached the island, all the Amazons would lose their powers. Later on there are versions where they feel that they have to kill Steve, or banish any amazons that bring men to the island. What do you think they should do?
    Some of the opinions make me realize why it took so long to get a WW movie. They were very hesitant about how to present Paradise Island among other reasons.

Let's just say that recent real world events emphasize the need for a safe place for women. I don't think that there should be any magical thing that forces the Amazons to keep men off the island or any magic monsters and traps that force it. In fact, they should let men on the island, see the consequences and then throw them all off not because men are evil but because some of them are.

Yes, it's one of the essences of bigotry, that if some of them do it, they all do it. But they could go with the idea they've used before that there's another island close to Paradise Island and men are welcome there for purposes of diplomacy and when invited out of friendship. But the main Island should be Man Free if only out of Wonder Woman storytelling tradition.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Depends on the men.

If they're hostile or belligerent, the Amazons subdue them and either kick them off the island, imprison them, or kill them if no other acceptable options exist.

If they aren't hostile, the Amazons greet them, offer help if they need it, inform them that they can't remain on the Island, and make every effort to help them return home.

Instant disqualification if the Amazons even threaten violence on a nonviolent man.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--