Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    (1) Megalodons aren't mythical, nor sentient. (2) The megalodons are mostly present in Simone's take and LoWW, IIRC. (3) They are around Themyscira, not on the island

ETA: nor sentient
    Agreed for the most part.

However? The megs clearly were sentient. When Themiscyra came under attack, the megs fought to defend it. One of Hipollyta's guards reported to her that the megs "said" they would fight to the end for the Amazons.

This Amazon wasn't Diana, so it couldn't be her animal communication power at work. Somehow the megs could communicate with the Amazons in a way they could understand. Also? They continued to fight even as they were being slaughtered. Animals don't do that. Sooner or later their survival instincts kick in and they retreat. Animals only really fight to the death if they're cornered and have nothing left to lose.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think the same for women they are going to go home. That their island is to violent for strangers to be on. The only way to make sure any foreigner to be same is the other islands around them, They heal them then send them on their way.

What about male animals? What should happen to them?

BANNED

Default What should happen to men on Themyscira

I don't know what 'should' happen to him, but besides bein bad at his job, he's also obviOusly bad at making jokes and apologies.

I think human guys on Themyscira would be taught about the Amazon's history and the current civics they live under for a more egalitarian and equitable society, when compared to the history of Patriarch's World. I think the Amazon's would also challenge the men's beliefs and their societal and personal actions (or inactions) that perpetrate a society that largely displays sexism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, racism, etc. Hippolyta and her advisors would be all, "Here's proof you can live another way and here are all the wonders we've created from living this way." (Amazon art, science, tech, magic, medicine, healing arts, engineering, architecture, etc.)

I've mentioned it before, but I see the Amazons as the only human-level sentient beings on the islands that make up their archipelago. So, no female and male satyrs, centaurs, dragons, etc. would live on the island, for the Amazons to have to consider in their society. (I'd have all those creatures living in secret areas of the DCU outside Paradise Island.)

This flies in the face of what GWW is doing, but I'd make pegasi not have human-level sentience and have herds of females and males on the island. The same with griffins, some hippocampi off the shores of paradise, and some other fantastical beasts, alongside the plethora of other regular animals that live on Themyscira.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 12-27-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    This flies in the face of what GWW is doing, but I'd make pegasi not have human-level sentience and have herds of females and males on the island. The same with griffins, some hippocampi off the shores of paradise, and some other fantastical beasts, alongside the plethora of other regular animals that live on Themyscira.
    I doubt GWW put the nymphs, fauns, griffins, or pegasi on Themyscira itself. It sounded more like they had been tossed out from Olympos. I first had guessed that they would end up at Themyscira as a final refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I doubt GWW put the nymphs, fauns, griffins, or pegasi on Themyscira itself. It sounded more like they had been tossed out from Olympos. I first had guessed that they would end up at Themyscira as a final refuge.
    True, but I was referring more to them (the pegasi at least) not have human-level sentience, especially if they end up residing with other fantastical creatures on Themyscira. It changes the dynamic of the island greatly to have to consider other human-level sentient beings and ethnicities, when I think we've barely scratched the surface of exploring Amazon society as it currently is.

Granted, refugees of different types and male-identified beings finding a home on Themyscira would be an interesting story and challenge the Amazons , but I'd think that'd change their society tremendously.

Yep, and I think a lot of the various discussions regarding the Amazons and Themyscira goes around in circles because the parameters of the discussion are so wide: there is no single consensus on what the even their role in-story is, or how they fit into the general DCU mythology and narrative.

In any case I'm curious how Wilson will go with the mythical beings as refugees storyline. It has a lot of potential, and fits neatly into a lot of issues facing the real world.

Well, a good analogy doesn't change the scenario any more than needed.

Sirens on Themiscyra though... that could make for an interesting story...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Sirens on Themiscyra though... that could make for an interesting story...
    "Classic" or classic sirens?

Well, the name has been used for several Atlantean characters already in DC...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, the name has been used for several Atlantean characters already in DC...
    Doesn't mean much. We've had Diana interact with the Oracle at Delphi and the computer hacker Oracle.