Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What's More Important For a Story: Characterization or The Overall Plot?

There are many elements that make a story well told, but I ask you dear poster, what is the more important part of a story: it's characters or it's plot?

Boisterously Confused

I think it takes both.

It certainly takes both, but me it's all about the characters. I think you can have a plot without great, well developed characters, but it's hard to have well developed characters without a good plot. So when you focus on the characters, a plot will fall into place.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I think it takes both.
    Obviously there needs to be a balance, I am simply asking of the too, which is more fundamental to a film being of high quality or not. Let me ask you this, would you prefer a movie with a great, well crafted narrative, but with lackluster characters, or a movie with terrific characters in expense of the overarching plot?

All-New Member

I believe that characters once they get their persona, pave the way and give direction to the plot.

The mistake is believing that one is more important than the other all of the time. In some cases, characterization takes more importance. In others, plot does.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Obviously there needs to be a balance, I am simply asking of the too, which is more fundamental to a film being of high quality or not. Let me ask you this, would you prefer a movie with a great, well crafted narrative, but with lackluster characters, or a movie with terrific characters in expense of the overarching plot?
    IMO, there's not a universal formula about which is more important. Some stories can be more plot driven, with the characterization providing a framework in which to define most likely reactions, and others can be all about character exploration with the plot serving merely as a mcguffin to move things along.

depends. both is the right answer tho lol

As others have state both is the correct answer, but gun to my head I feel once you've established endearing/interesting characters, you'll far more likely to wade through a meh story. On the other side of the coin I've given up on plots that were incredibly fascinating but had completely dull or outright hateable leads.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

You need to have at least one of the two for a good story, which one is more important is only up to your personal preference. Story driven, character driven, i can think of lot of excellent examples for both.

But for me it's story first.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 11-19-2018 at 11:05 AM.