Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Okay, I did not expect that. spoilers:
    A Devil Ex Machina to stop the powerful, but not too powerful Lotus.
    end of spoilers
    Little disappointing to be honest. What a pointless, throwaway, meh story. Went absolutely nowhere.

I mean, look at the good examples of this kind of story: Rise of the Black Flame told us so much about the world. Rasputin and Koshchei too. I’d have expected there to be some kind of mandate for these stories where we learn sweeping things about important characters or the mythology, but the Crimson Lotus is only important to the sweeping story in the sense that she’s related to a character who is long (probably) dead or (maybe) wendigoed. And the final third of the final issue? What was the point?

spoilers:
    Okay, stupid Varvara Deus Ex Machina completely unreliant on the agency of either of our protagonists, so why even have them in the story? They overcame nothing and did nothing of worth, but okay, they’ve caught the Lotus. Great, except no they havent. The first three pages and last 8 pages are some weird b-plot where she escapes without having told them anything...

Soooooo, why not just have had her escape in the first place and skip the who 8 pages. Crappy filler is why.
    end of spoilers

Was anybody actually excited about this? The first issue’s preview thread has also served as the final issue’s post release thing, and it only just cracked 2 pages of discussion.
    Terribly written drivel of a comic. Avoid.
    Last edited by zerodemon; 03-28-2019 at 09:15 AM.

This was the first mini I was not even remotely interested in beyond the great covers.

Well, I’ve also lost a lot of interest in Hellboy and the BPRD book.

Quote Originally Posted by zerodemon View Post
    Little disappointing to be honest. What a pointless, throwaway, meh story. Went absolutely nowhere.

I mean, look at the good examples of this kind of story: Rise of the Black Flame told us so much about the world. Rasputin and Koshchei too. I’d have expected there to be some kind of mandate for these stories where we learn sweeping things about important characters or the mythology, but the Crimson Lotus is only important to the sweeping story in the sense that she’s related to a character who is long (probably) dead or (maybe) wendigoed. And the final third of the final issue? What was the point?

spoilers:
    Okay, stupid Varvara Deus Ex Machina completely unreliant on the agency of either of our protagonists, so why even have them in the story? They overcame nothing and did nothing of worth, but okay, they’ve caught the Lotus. Great, except no they havent. The first three pages and last 8 pages are some weird b-plot where she escapes without having told them anything...

Soooooo, why not just have had her escape in the first place and skip the who 8 pages. Crappy filler is why.
    end of spoilers

Was anybody actually excited about this? The first issue’s preview thread has also served as the final issue’s post release thing, and it only just cracked 2 pages of discussion.
    Terribly written drivel of a comic. Avoid.

You're not completely wrong. I don't think it was a bad as you say. It was pretty thrilling along the way. But it's not essential to the overall Mignolaverse.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

All-New Member

I was also rather disappointed with this mini series. I confess that I did not really have much expectations form the start but an exciting espionage thriller/mystery/noir?, especially one in which we learned a bit more about the Crimson Lotus would have been welcome.

Like another poster mentioned, it ends with a "devil ex machina" which gives the idea that the writers did not really had this one completely figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You're not completely wrong. I don't think it was a bad as you say. It was pretty thrilling along the way. But it's not essential to the overall Mignolaverse.
    Agreed. Unless some of the elements in this will become of importance in any follow up mini series this mini series just happens to be there.
    Last edited by TDG; 03-29-2019 at 01:56 PM.