Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Good point, but once the film is close to release it'll be in their interest to cover that period seeing as it's all new and shiny.

Also whilst I respect the originals will always be the most loved it would be nice to do a series in the Prequel era, plenty of characters to work with.

The big question of course is... Star Wars and Marvel crossover?

UGH! Which is exactly why I'm not doing any of these books.
    Really? That's the reason?

What are the odds of that happening?

Seriously, somebody tell me the odds...

* Yes, this was just a transparent attempt for a Star Wars pun (and a shameless one, too)
    Last edited by Iggy Langridge; 07-28-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: to just acknowledge that it was a shameless attempt as well

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Langridge View Post

* Yes, this was just a transparent attempt for a Star Wars pun (and a shameless one, too)
    You tell me:

I mean, that's only one degree of separation there.

Astonishing Member

Looking forward this.
    I have been a Marvel and SW fan for years,so this comic book will be a must buy to me.

The Hollywood Reporter has an interview from a couple of days back that had what I thought were a couple of interesting tidbits...

The main title begins "just a matter of weeks after the destruction of the Death Star," Aaron told The Hollywood Reporter. "We see the Rebels trying to press their advantage, trying to build off their big win and really kick the Empire while their down. The first issue opens with our main cast of characters staging a daring raid on an Imperial Weapons Factory. As you might imagine, things don't quite go exactly as planned."

For Waid's Princess Leia, the aftermath of the Death Star battle gives the heroine "time to reflect on all she's lost," the writer explained. "Rather than choose to remain the princess of nothing, she resolves to find a way to preserve the memory and culture of her race, and that's our story." (Waid said that his aim with the series was to demonstrate that Carrie Fisher's character is "easily the most layered, most complex and multifaceted character in the entire Star Wars mythos.") That same destruction of the Death Star has an entirely different impact on Darth Vader, turning him into what Gillen described as "the sole survivor of the greatest military disaster of all time" inside the Galactic Empire.

"I see my run continuing to the start of Empire," he explained. "It bridges the gap, and explores all the real emotional meat in there. To state the obvious, we never see Darth realize that X-wing pilot who was strong in the force is actually his son. That's a huge thing. That Darth actually starts Empire seemingly in a stronger position in the Empire than in [the first movie] is also telling."

Although the series will interrelate to some degree, each of the three titles will have a different tone and ambition. "If you read all the books, you'll be able to see how they interact, where they cross paths and whatnot. But at the same time, I think you could read any one of them by itself and get a complete story," Aaron said. Cassaday likens the core title to the original movie: "I'm not looking at this as an addition to the core stories of Star Wars and Empire, rather my approach is that this is gospel — as if this was an 'in between' movie," he said. "We're connecting the dots that are the first two films. This is going to be canon, and we're giving a lot of respect to that."
    ...there's more at the link, but the main takeaway from this part for me is Keiron Gillen saying that he expects to see STAR WARS: DARTH VADER running to the start of "Empire." Interesting. And sign me up for that, for sure.

The reiteration of the three books tying into one another and all of them being gospel as far as Lucasfilm is concerned was also nice to see again. And Mark Waid makes me want more than just five issues of STAR WARS: PRINCESS LEIA; I guess there's always the chance for a series of minis starring her.
    Last edited by Iggy Langridge; 07-29-2014 at 08:45 AM. Reason: just to add additional comments

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

That's not the only reason, but it's a reason. And the odds of that happening are about as close as having an X-Men/Star Trek crossover....oh wait....never mind.

Oh, I don't care why you're not buying any of the books.

I was just using your post to make a "Three-thousand, seven-hundred and twenty to one" joke.

As far as that "3,720 to 1" chance of there being a cross-over: it would obviously be some type of one-off (mini or issue or two) and something that would be easily avoided.

I know I wouldn't buy it, so it's a non-issue to me.

Anyway, yes, again, I was just ridiculing you and making a joke of your post, that's all.
    Last edited by Iggy Langridge; 07-29-2014 at 09:05 AM. Reason: typo

It's all good. I'm not offended or anything. To be honest with you I am reading the Dark Horse Star Wars comics. I enjoy them, and I've stuck with them for a long time. With Marvel taking over this is a chance for me to save some money by not jumping on to these new books. There's something kind of "the glove doesn't fit quite right"-ish about this. I'm sure that sounds stupid though.

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    There's something kind of "the glove doesn't fit quite right"-ish about this. I'm sure that sounds stupid though.
    Yeah, for me it's just the opposite.

Since I grew up with the Marvel Star Wars comics, the Dark Horse Star Wars comics never felt right to me. It was like, "What is this indie publisher doing publishing Star Wars? Star Wars isn't indie, Star Wars is pop! The X-wing lunchbox I had when I was seven says so."

So to me it was like, "Wow, Star Wars really is over, Dark Horse is publishing the comics now."

Anyway, Marvel was the first home to the comics, and obviously to me the rightful home. And now things are back the way they're supposed to be.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel doing Star Wars is ok by me, as long as its a good story.

Yeah, for me it's just the opposite.

Since I grew up with the Marvel Star Wars comics, the Dark Horse Star Wars comics never felt right to me. It was like, "What is this indie publisher doing publishing Star Wars? Star Wars isn't indie, Star Wars is pop! The X-wing lunchbox I had when I was seven says so."

So to me it was like, "Wow, Star Wars really is over, Dark Horse is publishing the comics now."

Anyway, Marvel was the first home to the comics, and obviously to me the rightful home. And now things are back the way they're supposed to be.
    I can understand that. It makes perfect sense. I never read the Marvel Star Wars, so I can see where we differ. I'm glad that your comics are coming home to you then.

One thing on feelings, and slightly off-topic: but I'll be glad when Marvel gets to the new Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham MIRACLEMAN stuff so I'll have another Marvel book to read other than the Star Wars ones.

I don't know why, but it feels like I should read something superhero-related, too.

Of course, what I really want to know is if they're going to make a MARVELMAN comic, and will they integrate that into the existing Marvel Universe and leave MIRACLEMAN in it's own world and just come back to it when they have a high-profile team that has a story to tell (which is my ideal scenario; and I guess we'll know more about this at next year's SDCC).

On Star Wars: it is a little surprising that Marvel didn't have anything "Star Wars: Rebels"-related in this first wave of books. I imagine it's because the audience for that may skew younger than the average Marvel reader. Who knows? And on that: despite being owned by Disney, Marvel still only have a smattering of all-ages books, which is a bit surprising, too.

Very, very good, honestly. It would make money, although that would be more true of a crossover between the Marvel and Star Wars cartoons.

And 'twould be fine, because either way, it's not like it would be any more a part of ongoing continuity for either universe any more than any other such crossover, e.g., those Star Trek/X-Men comics and licensed novels some time back. It's just all in good fun, so you get to see if Jedi mind tricks work on mutant telepaths, just like we saw a Vulcan nerve pinch be used on Wolverine.