Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

There is only one good Kraven story. I hope Spencer can make it two, but I'm not going to bet on it.

Kind of hilarious that FNSM, which was announced emphasizing the neighborhood aspect, has him somewhere obscure by issue 3. Taylor is a good writer, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it - just funny how the publicity is so full of it.

I didn't like that (or how) they resurrected Aunt May, but she seems to have a better role in the book than she did when they killed her off (she's been functionally de-aged). I very much doubt they're killing her off. I guess 616 Aunt May has never discovered Peter's identity during an actual rescue, so that could be new . . . ish.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    ...I guess 616 Aunt May has never discovered Peter's identity during an actual rescue, so that could be new . . . ish.
    Why bother, they'll just retcon her discovering his identity later.

Edit - The Conversation was one of their best stories in decades yet they threw it away without a second thought to restore a stale status quo.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

Edit - The Conversation was one of their best stories in decades yet they threw it away without a second thought to restore a stale status quo.
    For what it's worth, everything you said applies to The Gift, as well. Maybe we'll enjoy Aunt May knowing a third time, too!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

There is only one good Kraven story. I hope Spencer can make it two, but I'm not going to bet on it.
    He'll definitely have to pull out all the stops to top the Gibbon origin, yeah.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves for the last ten years of Spider-Man comics. I like most of the run as I've said, but Aunt May not knowing who Peter really is just doesn't feel right anymore (even the MCU got rid of that).

Especially now that J. Jonah Jameson knows, and Mary Jane, and Flash before he died. Aunt May can't figure it out??? Come on.

i get your point, mate...but that's seems to be a common cycle of marvel comics. everything will reset eventually. it's all an "illusion of change"
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Yeah, I would rather see her know his identity again than having her killed off. (In my opinion I still believe that she's known since at least Parker Industries)

And don't forget, he's Squirrel Girl's best friend
    Speaking of which...

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #41
    RYAN NORTH (W)
    NAOMI FRANQUIZ (A)
    Cover by ERICA HENDERSON
    • In the past months, Squirrel Girl has battled Kraven, rescued NYC from supernatural silence, kinda-maybe died and also fought Skrulls! So now it’s time for a nice break…which is why in THIS issue, Squirrel Girl does nothing but watch public domain movies on television!
    • That’s right! She just sits there! You can kinda see the TV screen over her shoulder in a couple of panels, but that’s it! It’s really quiet and relaxing and nothing much happens.
    • …
    • …THAT IS, UNTIL NANCY WHITEHEAD AND ANOTHER ESU STUDENT BY THE NAME OF PETER PARKER ARE TAKEN HOSTAGE BY A SUPER VILLAIN INTENT ON PROVING THAT SHE’S THE SMARTEST PERSON ON THE PLANET!
    • Then it’s super hero battles featuring THOR and SHE-HULK on a DATE! SQUIRREL GIRL matching wits against MS. QUIZZLER! And MORE!
    • Artist Naomi Franquiz makes her MARVEL DEBUT in a stanalone adventure you won’t want to miss!

Ahem... smartest person on the planet? Shouldn't that be a Moon Girl plot?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 11-20-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thoughts:

- Spencer's Spider-Man event being Kraven-related is a bit of a surprise. I wonder if this means it'll be more akin to "Grim Hunt" compared to Slott's "events."

- So is Doc Ock's thing to keep riffing on stuff Peter did as Spider-Man? Fighting a Galactus Herald and getting Cosmic Powers?
    Takeshi Miyazawa doing Spider-Gwen!? YEEEEESSS!!!!! I would give it all my money if I wasn't already giving it all my money!
    It's nice to see Miyazawa doing Superhero work and back on something Spider-Man related, although having him jump from a Mary Jane book to a Gwen almost makes me want to go:

Spider-Man/Deadpool one made me laugh, I hope the story ends up going completely bombastic and over the top, just throw every big event cliche you can in there.
    That really seems to be the book's niche now. I guess it's the Ultimate Spider-Man (Cartoon) of the Spider-Books.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I mean, I don't want her dead, to be honest. She was an excellent character when she knew Peter's identity, yes, but who's to say she won't remember again?
    I don't want Aunt May dead but I do think her value as a supporting character hasn't been what it was since she once again forgot Peter was Spider-Man.

And, let's be honest, they've almost killed her twice...do we really expect the third time to be the charm?
    Kind of hilarious that FNSM, which was announced emphasizing the neighborhood aspect, has him somewhere obscure by issue 3. Taylor is a good writer, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it - just funny how the publicity is so full of it.
    I can't remember the number of times "Back-to-Basics" ended up being...not that back-to-basics.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Speaking of which...

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #41
    RYAN NORTH (W)
    NAOMI FRANQUIZ (A)
    Cover by ERICA HENDERSON
    • In the past months, Squirrel Girl has battled Kraven, rescued NYC from supernatural silence, kinda-maybe died and also fought Skrulls! So now it’s time for a nice break…which is why in THIS issue, Squirrel Girl does nothing but watch public domain movies on television!
    • That’s right! She just sits there! You can kinda see the TV screen over her shoulder in a couple of panels, but that’s it! It’s really quiet and relaxing and nothing much happens.
    • …
    • …THAT IS, UNTIL NANCY WHITEHEAD AND ANOTHER ESU STUDENT BY THE NAME OF PETER PARKER ARE TAKEN HOSTAGE BY A SUPER VILLAIN INTENT ON PROVING THAT SHE’S THE SMARTEST PERSON ON THE PLANET!
    • Then it’s super hero battles featuring THOR and SHE-HULK on a DATE! SQUIRREL GIRL matching wits against MS. QUIZZLER! And MORE!
    • Artist Naomi Franquiz makes her MARVEL DEBUT in a stanalone adventure you won’t want to miss!

Ahem... smartest person on the planet? Shouldn't that be a Moon Girl plot?
    Seems that Peter has accepted Dr Conners offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    - Spencer's Spider-Man event being Kraven-related is a bit of a surprise. I wonder if this means it'll be more akin to "Grim Hunt" compared to Slott's "events."
    I just re-read through Grim Hunt this past week, I forgot just how dark and brutal that story got, I don't know if Spencer would go that level, at least not this early. I just hope no more of the other Kravinoffs. As far as "Spider-Hunters", I'll take the Inheritors anytime over them.

It's nice to see Miyazawa doing Superhero work and back on something Spider-Man related, although having him jump from a Mary Jane book to a Gwen almost makes me want to go:

I wonder just how similar his MJ and Gwen in this will be compared to his work in SMLMJ. He did a few issues of Ultimate Spider-Man where he basically re-used the SMLMJ designs, but it still worked since they're really nice designs, so I wouldn't mind seeing them like that again.

I just re-read through Grim Hunt this past week, I forgot just how dark and brutal that story got, I don't know if Spencer would go that level, at least not this early. I just hope no more of the other Kravinoffs. As far as "Spider-Hunters", I'll take the Inheritors anytime over them.
    Between the Kravinoffs and the Inheritors, it's slim picking either way .
    I wonder just how similar his MJ and Gwen in this will be compared to his work in SMLMJ. He did a few issues of Ultimate Spider-Man where he basically re-used the SMLMJ designs, but it still worked since they're really nice designs, so I wouldn't mind seeing them like that again.
    I don't know if I foresee him re-using the SMLMJ designs, if only because I associate those designs with a softer, more romance-oriented, story then the aesthetic of Earth-65 and the characters who live in it.

He can't, Gwen wouldn't look like the same character. This is how she looked in SMLMJ:

At the very least, he needs to change the hair, as Earth-65 Gwen usually has it shorter with bangs.

Don't forget he's also drawn Ms Marvel and Runaways and was Amadeus Cho's co-creator.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I didn't like that (or how) they resurrected Aunt May, but she seems to have a better role in the book than she did when they killed her off (she's been functionally de-aged). I very much doubt they're killing her off. I guess 616 Aunt May has never discovered Peter's identity during an actual rescue, so that could be new . . . ish.
    My guess is Kraven is just the lead-in for this new major story; I really cannot see him being the engine that drives it. Oh, and totally agreed on FNSM----Marvel just can't seem to set a tone: they pulled the same thing with PPSSM. That was also supposed to be 'street-level' and they ended up spending the majority of that book's run time-traveling and fighting aliens.

Definitely:

Amazing Spider-Man
    Venom

Probably: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Looking forward to seeing what happens with Kraven.