Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Default Weapon X 26 Recap / Discussion

Recap
    spoilers:
    We open with the preview pages of Creed in Hell, and having a run-in with Many-Face. Creed says he's one of the good guys since being inverted & he doesn't belong there. Face checks his file, and his inversion is located, but the credit it's earned him isn't much. The hospital will let him pay it off over a long period of time. Creed is still in pain and buzzes for the nurse, but face smirks & tells him his call-button isn't plugged in before leaving.

Creed pouts, insisting he doesn't belong there. He's one of the good guys now & there's worse people who should be there instead. He thinks about how he's glad he killed Face since she turned out to be such a jerk. And when he gets better, he's gonna wreck some **** again. He dozes off but wakes up to the guy screaming again. He gets up to go to the man's room, threatening to smother him if he doesn't be quiet. Until he finds out the guy is Graydon! Creed is confused at what's wrong because he looks great. Graydon brings up him & Mystique abandoning him for being human & how he exists because of them. He tells Creed to end his pain & smother him, but Creed can't do it. He thinks this is where he belongs after all.

Omega Red, Wade, Domino, and Mystique make it to Hell & try to find Creed. Meanwhile, Monet & Deathstrike stayed behind to keep Azazel honest. He killed them but have them in a frozen-time like state, which he can unfreeze so their healing factors can bring them back. Sabretooth pops through a portal carrying Graydon & his healing factor is working again. Mystique isn't happy to see Graydon. Grunting in disgust, she tells Creed to put him back where he found him & Creed tells her they're taking him home. Marduck appears to speak with the gang & he doesn't care about what they're doing, but points out Creed stealing one of his prisoners. Releasing his claws, Creed warns him that Graydon is coming with them. Marduck isn't going to stop him. He points them to the palace Stryker is living in & notes they have to stop him before he's reborn again. Above the surface, Mentallo has people lined up walking into the pit for blood sacrifices to Stryker. TBC.
    end of spoilers

I think this issue was better than 25. Had a bit more character work involved, and the art was certainly leagues better. I definitely liked seeing Graydon come up again. Even while evil, Sabretooth showed a certain level of fondness & respect for him.

Overall, Deadpool wasn't needed. He hasn't done anything, outside of being JarJar comedy relief. Monet's friendship (or romance -whichever) with Sabretooth needed closure since it was left on a cliffhanger by Bunn. And I guess we'll get that in the finale.

Speaking of the last chapter, I am betting on Sabretooth staying in Hell. He mentions belonging there after seeing Graydon & I doubt Pak is gonna revive Graydon. So to make up for abandoning him before, Creed may chose to stay there with him if Graydon can't go back. He'll probably get a goodbye with Monet (which explains the cover). Then that'll finish off his story. Brings back Remenders Angelus = Angel comparison. Like Angel, Creed ends up locked in a Hell dimension. Except he chose to go.

That would give Creed's inversion storyline the actual heft it's been needing. So far, it's been largely him insisting that he's good now with very little in the way of atonement. I don't know how well agreeing to suffer so that he can release his genocide-inclined kid upon the world actually works as atonement on any practical level, but the larger point in Creed's case would be the willingness to sacrifice himself for another.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    That would give Creed's inversion storyline the actual heft it's been needing. So far, it's been largely him insisting that he's good now with very little in the way of atonement. I don't know how well agreeing to suffer so that he can release his genocide-inclined kid upon the world actually works as atonement on any practical level, but the larger point in Creed's case would be the willingness to sacrifice himself for another.
    That's my issue with this series & Pak.

Bunn & Remender wrote Creed as a legit heroic figure trying to atone for his sins. Pak took him and made him a dumbed-down parody of his evil self, then started throwing in "i'm inverted" / "he's inverted" lines to pay respect to that arc, without really writing Sabretooth as a different person -except when plot called for it. lol

I think the series has been enjoyable since issue 22, and Pak's writing on Sabretooth has improved. But he didn't execute the villain / hero struggling with himself very well.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 11-22-2018 at 08:46 AM.

what about Graydon showing up in Claws of a Killer? Creed was surprised by seeing him there, is it a different one? When does this story take place before or after CoaK?

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    what about Graydon showing up in Claws of a Killer? Creed was surprised by seeing him there, is it a different one? When does this story take place before or after CoaK?
    Claws of a Killer, Graydon was a zombie brought back from the dead. Or so it seemed. Sabretooth was shocked to see him because his son has been dead for years.

This Weapon X arc takes place after CoaK. Creed's hair is a clue. it was still long in CoaK, and since becoming leader of Weapon X-Force, he's cut it.

And we don't know what happened with the zombie Graydon?

That was a fun issue, the only drawback for me is that the story didn't progress much and there is only one issue left.

I enjoyed how they got creative and had a different version of hell for everyone instead of showing more classic torture. Deadpool deserves way worse imo.

It was cool to see Graydon, but I'm wondering if that's just a trick as a part of Sabretooth's hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post

Speaking of the last chapter, I am betting on Sabretooth staying in Hell. He mentions belonging there after seeing Graydon & I doubt Pak is gonna revive Graydon. So to make up for abandoning him before, Creed may chose to stay there with him if Graydon can't go back. He'll probably get a goodbye with Monet (which explains the cover). Then that'll finish off his story. Brings back Remenders Angelus = Angel comparison. Like Angel, Creed ends up locked in a Hell dimension. Except he chose to go.
    That would be an awesome ending! I would love it if the devil gives him a choice - he can stay in hell against Stryker being destroyed forever or against Graydon being revived.

Quote Originally Posted by DAHX View Post
    And we don't know what happened with the zombie Graydon?
    He was destroyed when the town blew up at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That was a fun issue, the only drawback for me is that the story didn't progress much and there is only one issue left.
    That's what worries me. We have ONE chapter left, and chances are high of it being a regular length issue. So can / will Pak be able to wrap up this story where it feels like a natural conclusion & doesn't end up being rushed with lots of stuff glossed over.

I enjoyed how they got creative and had a different version of hell for everyone instead of showing more classic torture. Deadpool deserves way worse imo.
    It's like Hellraiser. Everyone has their own version of Hell rather than just endless physical torture. Some were trapped in psychological Hells as well. Like Hellraiser Inferno, where the protagonist gets a Hell of a personal one. You also feel sorry for the bastard. lol

It was cool to see Graydon, but I'm wondering if that's just a trick as a part of Sabretooth's hell.
    Omega Red brought that up. How Graydon may just be a trick to distract him. So the chances are high it may not be Graydon. Unless their personal Hell is intertwined where they'd really be in it together.

That would be an awesome ending! I would love it if the devil gives him a choice - he can stay in hell against Stryker being destroyed forever or against Graydon being revived.
    Again, still much better than when Loeb sent him to Hell. Ugh

But that is my theory so far. And it explains his supposed upcoming absence in the X-Books.

Domino has her solo & X-Force
    Omega Red goes to the the AU
    Deadpool does his own thing in his solo

So those three are known to be taken care of. Now we're left with Deathstrike, Mystique, and Monet. Really the former two could end up going to Uncanny's rogue gallery since Wolverine & Cyke are back there. Creed could go there too, but I think I prefer the Hell option. JDW said there may be plans for Monet soon. Lord knows what they'll be.

It's like Hellraiser. Everyone has their own version of Hell rather than just endless physical torture. Some were trapped in psychological Hells as well. Like Hellraiser Inferno, where the protagonist gets a Hell of a personal one. You also feel sorry for the bastard. lol
    Yes, Pak has obviously seen Hellraiser! I just felt like what happened to them in hell was really mild. I get that it's psychological torture, but each character has gone through much worse and called it a normal day. They could have at least turned Stryker into a mutant if they were serious about torturing him.

Omega Red brought that up. How Graydon may just be a trick to distract him. So the chances are high it may not be Graydon. Unless their personal Hell is intertwined where they'd really be in it together.

Again, still much better than when Loeb sent him to Hell. Ugh

But that is my theory so far. And it explains his supposed upcoming absence in the X-Books.

Domino has her solo & X-Force
    Omega Red goes to the the AU
    Deadpool does his own thing in his solo

So those three are known to be taken care of. Now we're left with Deathstrike, Mystique, and Monet. Really the former two could end up going to Uncanny's rogue gallery since Wolverine & Cyke are back there. Creed could go there too, but I think I prefer the Hell option. JDW said there may be plans for Monet soon. Lord knows what they'll be.
    Domino, Deadpool and Omeged Red are definitely safe. Deathstrike and Monet stayed behind so they might be safe as well. Mystique has her chances of coming out of this ok since it's a character they probably want to keep available to be used as a bad guy for an Uncanny arc in the future. Regardless of how it goes, there is a lot to be resolved in the one issue we have left.

This issue was an unexpected gem. Every week, I feel like I'm ready to drop this title from my pull list. Then, an issue will come out that intrigues me enough to keep going. This is one of those issues. Seeing Azazel in action again was a nice treat. And Domino's version of Hell is just too perfect. I don't know how long this series can sustain itself with the coming upheavals to the X-books, but it has won me over time and again. Issues like this certainly help.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    This issue was an unexpected gem. Every week, I feel like I'm ready to drop this title from my pull list. Then, an issue will come out that intrigues me enough to keep going. This is one of those issues. Seeing Azazel in action again was a nice treat. And Domino's version of Hell is just too perfect. I don't know how long this series can sustain itself with the coming upheavals to the X-books, but it has won me over time and again. Issues like this certainly help.
    The book is cancelled. Issue 27 next month will be the finale.

Well, I thought that this was a good return to the quality of the previous issues.

I enjoyed the comic, even with the presence of Azazel. I wont miss him or the ongoing Sabretooth/Mystique stories.

I'm going to guess that Creed escapes his Hell dimension if only for a little while, and helps stop Stryker. It may even be that Creed's form of Hell is to return to his un-inverted state. He just goes back to being a lawless killer, and that ends up costing him his relationship with Monet.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    Well, I thought that this was a good return to the quality of the previous issues.
    I think the art was definitely better. lol But really, I was glad this had a bit more story. Last issue seemed like a long fight sequence (outside of Azazel's intro). Still a bit iffy on pacing, but I enjoyed Creed wanting to help Graydon. That was my favorite thing about the issue.

I enjoyed the comic, even with the presence of Azazel. I wont miss him or the ongoing Sabretooth/Mystique stories.
    I was hoping Azazel coming in would attached Mystique to him & away from Sabretooth. In fact, I was thinking Mystique would stay behind with Azazel & Monet would go to Hell with Creed. Sadly, we got the reverse.

The book has gotten better since issue 22, despite some flaws. My biggest grievance now is too much Creed x Mystique. lol Issue 24 stands as the best for me -where Creed & M had more than one-line of dialogue together. Otherwise, she's mostly been second-fiddle to Raven, which borders on making her an unneeded addition to the book, like Deadpool in Mr. & Mrs, X.

I'm going to guess that Creed escapes his Hell dimension if only for a little while, and helps stop Stryker. It may even be that Creed's form of Hell is to return to his un-inverted state. He just goes back to being a lawless killer, and that ends up costing him his relationship with Monet.
    I am thinking Sabretooth stays in Hell to fight Stryker, but the others have to go back to the surface & stop Mentallo. With the others back, Monet may decide to go in & we'll finally get a closing to their relationship when Creed decides or has to stay in Hell/ And I hope it's good, given all the Creed x Mystique I sat through. lol He'll say his goodbye to her & tell her whatever he was going to say in chapter 24. She'll go back & let the others know he's gone, and we'll end with the disbanding of the group.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 11-22-2018 at 09:00 AM.

I think the art was definitely better. lol But really, I was glad this had a bit more story. Last issue seemed like a long fight sequence (outside of Azazel's intro).

I was hoping with Azazel coming that Mystique would be centered around him & away from Sabretooth. In fact, I was thinking Mystique would stay behind with Azazel & Monet would go to Hell with Creed. But sadly, we got the reverse. Creed has interacted with Mystique more than he has Monet, which almost makes her unnecessary. The only reason she'd be in the book is her bond with Creed, and since that's taken a backseat to his bond with Mystique, Monet could be somewhere else. It's like Deadpool being thrown into Mr. & Mrs. X. Unneeded addition.

The book has gotten better since issue 22. Now my biggest complaint is there's too much Creed x Mystique in it. lol

My last theory was wrong. But I still hope. I am thinking Sabretooth stays in Hell to fight Stryker, but the others have to go back to the surface & stop Mentallo's sacrifices. Then it may be revealed Creed can't come back since he was beheaded. I'm thinking with the others back, Monet may decide to go in & we'll finally get a closing to their relationship. He'll say his goodbye to her & tell her whatever he was going to say in chapter 24. Then she'll go back, but he won't. Then we end with the disbanding of the team, showing them going their own ways.

I just hope the ending to Creed x Monet's story isn't rushed or half-assed.
    I don't remember if this was brought up in the Weapon X 25 review thread or not, but I think that the Creed/Mystique stuff was brought up because Graydon was going to make his eventual appearance in Hell, and Pak may have wanted to show the Creed/Mystique stuff for new readers who were unaware of their son.

Oops, I forgot about Creed being beheaded was what allowed Weapon X to enter Hell. It's hard to see him returning from Hell with no head.

It's obvious that the Monet/Creed stuff was saved for the finale of the series, but you are absolutely right that some more time should have been spent with their relationship. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that the resolution to their story will feel rushed. Hopefully Pak has a great resolution up his sleeve. I know that some don't like his writing, but I still think that he is pretty talented.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I don't remember if this was brought up in the Weapon X 25 review thread or not, but I think that the Creed/Mystique stuff was brought up because Graydon was going to make his eventual appearance in Hell, and Pak may have wanted to show the Creed/Mystique stuff for new readers who were unaware of their son.
    Oh I definitely get their relationship coming up, especially if you're gonna have Azazel coming in. It only makes sense. The thing I hated was after Azazel notes his jealousy, Creed is smirking & gloating about it -rather than being annoyed like Mystique was & dismissing it because they're over each other. Especially if Monet is standing nearby while he's bragging about shagging & knocking up Mystique. lol

Also, hard to believe, but yeah. There are some fans who didn't know about Graydon. I recently spoke to a fan who was unaware of the relationship until this issue.

Oops, I forgot about Creed being beheaded was what allowed Weapon X to enter Hell. It's hard to see him returning from Hell with no head.
    Yeah. Especially when beheading is usually treated as a death-sentence for a healing factor. Next to drowning.

It's obvious that the Monet/Creed stuff was saved for the finale of the series, but you are absolutely right that some more time should have been spent with their relationship. I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that the resolution to their story will feel rushed. Hopefully Pak has a great resolution up his sleeve. I know that some don't like his writing, but I still think that he is pretty talented.
    Honestly though, an actual resolution, even rushed, would be better than the last one. Bunn ended Uncanny showing they ran away together, only for them to not be in the same book post-ResurrXion. Then it was left unresolved for 17 months. Hopefully Pak won't do worse than that. I love Bunn & he probably did what he could to close things off, but hopefully Pak will do better in that area. And hopefully he hasn't / won't retcon the nature of the relationship.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 11-22-2018 at 09:22 AM.