Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Lion King Trailer

Looks Amazing

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

As someone who has been largely uninterested in Disney's previous "live action" adaptations of it's animated catalogue, I think I'm down with this. It looks great, and the cast is amazing. Photo-realistic CGI has a history of aging terribly, and quickly but at the same time I don't see it getting much better than this.

Mighty Member

the anthropomorphic animals singing and dancing works perfectly in hand-drawn animation...

what I find most ominous is that they will probably be keeping all of the songs in place.... sure, the CGI looks good enough for the relatively 'normal' looking scenes shown in the trailer. but I can't help but think that once the animals start dancing, moving, and singing like human beings that "Hakuna Matata" will become this unholy blend of UNCANNY VALLEY and involuntarily break the fourth wall at the same time.

it's definitely going to take you out of 'a photo-realistic movie' experience if the creatures are doing things like they did in the original animated film. (okay, maybe it would just be me)

Meh nothing really looks that great to me...

The internet has ruined me. I expected Rafiki to toss Infant Simba into the crowd.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The internet has ruined me. I expected Rafiki to toss Infant Simba into the crowd.
    "I am Rafiki! I could kill you, Simba, but death would only end your agony and silence your shame. Instead, I will simply... BREAK YOU!" he breaks Simba's back on his knee.

and THEN he tosses infant Simba into the crowd. ;-)

[yeah, I know the Bane reference is corny but I couldn't help it]

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Meh nothing really looks that great to me...
    Hope it don't have the same old songs. Also I like Earl Jones but it would have been nice to have someone new
    Last edited by Shriveling_memo; 11-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Better be some new stuff in that movie.

I don't think that even Disney is shameless to the point to re-use the same songs but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Better be some new stuff in that movie.

I don't think that even Disney is shameless to the point to re-use the same songs but who knows?
    Hypocritically let say it was a shot for shot remake what is "Shameless" with upgrading the visuals?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Hypocritically let say it was a shot for shot remake what is "Shameless" with upgrading the visuals?
    Releasing the exact same movie with just "upgraded visual" (personally i still prefer the cartoon style but each his own) doesn't sound like a lazy cash grab to you?

Releasing the exact same movie with just "upgraded visual" (personally i still prefer the cartoon style but each his own) doesn't sound like a lazy cash grab to you?
    Cosignd for the truth.

If you can upgrade a product while retaining the original which is still available and make money no especially with all the work it took to make this film so no I don't think its lazy there are remakes all the time. Its like saying it was lazy to remake classic Silent films in the 30's into talkies.

Extraordinary Member

When Disney releases Maleficent I was critical because they told their own story and kinda subverted the original and frankly hurt her character pushing for a new direction by making her sympathetic and not as evil. But at this point I think I’d rather that. Beauty and the Beast was very much a beat by beat remake in live action and it kinda lost something in translation. This is going to be tougher because the entire main cast will be actual animals. There’s no point in this because it’s not even live action at this point. It’s a CGI remake on a live backdrop.

I'm really disappointed because I wasn't following any news on this and I just figured they'd be doing a live action remake with the actors, which would've been amazing.

But this is just re-animating one of the best animated movies Disney has ever made in a different style of animation. What is the point?? Not only is it stupidly redundant, but it takes away every bit of the style and art of the original and replaces it with realism. Because a story about talking lions needed more realism. I absolutely hate the idea that a more realistic, limited style is an update or improvement in animation. I deeply respect CGI as a craft, but it's not at all a replacement for other kinds of animation. It does not allow for exaggeration, and in a way, sucks all the life out of everything by trying to be life-like. It's like if they did a Mary Poppins remake without the music, and also made it in VR. It's just...so dumb. Kids will like it, and the cast is great, but as an animation student and fan, this is just...the most infuriating thing.

BANNED

There's almost certain to be new songs, if for no other reason than possible Oscar nominations and new licensing opportunities for the music.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 11-23-2018 at 11:38 AM.