Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It absolutely won't. People already have the tendency to align photo-realistic cgi with live-action. Certainly they can be used in conjunction as they have been for years, but if the VFX heavy blockbusters of the last 10 years haven't hurt the larger animation studios the Lion King certainly won't.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 11-29-2018 at 07:35 AM.

So Disney keeps remaking their hit films into live action that are generally less successful than the original.

Why not remake the films that didn't do so well? Like The Black Cauldron? Or better yet, make an original film instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So Disney keeps remaking their hit films into live action that are generally less successful than the original.

Why not remake the films that didn't do so well? Like The Black Cauldron? Or better yet, make an original film instead.
    You're about to get a bajillion "Let It Go" posts thrown at you.

Disney still churns out new IP all the time. Frozen is a billion dollar one and Wreck-It-Ralph is coming close, too. Zootopia is getting a sequel, Brave is pushed a lot, you name it. They have a lot of new IP.

Black Couldron, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, The Little Whirlwind, Flight of the Navigator, and The Black Hole were mentioned as possible remakes via Play. They were quick to say none of those are even on a roster or in development.

You never know ... but why remake a dud when you can give us a live-action Aladdin or Mulan? Or course correct old IP like Cinderella or Pocahontas?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-29-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

even some of the new Disney franchises and properties are still poaching folklore and fairy tales. (aka "Frozen").

I don't see this hurting more traditional animation at all. (at this point, it's more of a television medium than a cinematic one)

"the Lion King" remake probably isn't even going to get treated as a live-action film... but it's not suddenly going to undermine other cartoons completely. there are some character designs and concepts that just don't work as well with photo-realistic production values. "the Simpsons", "South Park", and "Family Guy" would have never lasted as long as they have with photo-realistic CGI.

besides, it's easier to render high-quality toys based on more traditional animated character designs.... and, frankly, it's what kids seem to prefer playing with.

when given the choice between a more photo-realistic Schleich figure or a stuffed animal... kids tend to go after the more abstracted and cuddly stuffed animal.

Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, etc Disney has never been that original they're just looking to themselves these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, etc Disney has never been that original they're just looking to themselves these days.
    I meant films they haven't made already. Like Frozen being a VERY loose adaptation of the Snow Queen.

Well in Jungle Books case it was super successful and imo added things to the movie that made it way better for me. 2016 ShareKhan was terrifying, Mowgli,Baguera and Baloo were all more fleshed out imo. If Lion King follows that and gives these characters more development I'm all for it. Simba was one of the more fleshed out character in a Disney cartoon to begin with but I'd love if Scar was more developed maybe Nala too. I'm ok with these remakes if they add something too it like Jungle book the riches the story for me. Beauty and to the Beast added nothing for me and I loved beast in the original. Didnt really like him in the live action they didnt capture the beast part enough. As far as dumbo goes...hated the original so unless i hear amazing things I'll probaly never see it. Same thing if they ever do Bambi. No interest at all but Lion King has a rich story to mine if they can add more to the story.

Mighty Member

This remake seems pointless and a moneygrab! i mean Jungle Book was hardly a remake of the 1967 film but another adaptation of the same book with some elements of the 1967 film and Cinderella was another take on the book, same thing for Alice in Wonderland.

But Beauty and the Beast i hear is a straight up remake of the 1991 near shot to shot which is pointless in my view as you cannot strike lightning in a bottle twice as the 1991 original was perfect! this is a pointless CGI remake of an already perfect animated classic for nostalgia wanking and money grabs, even Lady and the Tramp.

This is such a great video. It absolutely nails it. And it savagely smacks Disney where it hurts with a brilliant rendition of Part Of Your World.

Disney truly does feel that they are too big to fail. Which is why I am going to tell that mouse to suck it and ban his furry ass in 2019.

I have no desire seeing the live-action Beauty and the Beast as you cannot strike lightning twice, same thing for Lion King which was lightning in a bottle and you can't strike that bottle twice. Eventually Disney will get diminishing returns and will send the studio the message and do some new ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I have no desire seeing the live-action Beauty and the Beast as you cannot strike lightning twice...
    Seems like a rather silly thing to say...

beauty.jpg

I'll give the Lion King the benefit of the doubt, but it feels like Disney watched its own The Jungle Book and then said, "What if we took out Mowgli?"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Seems like a rather silly thing to say...

beauty.jpg
    This is why film gets worse and worse everyear, i'm a very honest true filmgoer and i have no desire seeing a copycat unnecessary remake of a masterpiece that was already done better! i'm sticking to the classics.

Like i said the bottom will completely eventually fall as your just gonna get diminishing returns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    This is why film gets worse and worse everyear, i'm a very honest true filmgoer and i have no desire seeing a copycat unnecessary remake of a masterpiece that was already done better! i'm sticking to the classics.

Like i said the bottom will completely eventually fall as your just gonna get diminishing returns.
    Your personal opinion is your own, of course, but if Beauty and the Beast was a faithful remake (which it pretty much was), enjoying the remake isn't difficult to do if you liked the animated original...

Care to elaborate why you think the remake is worse? Or should I just get off your lawn?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Your personal opinion is your own, of course, but if Beauty and the Beast was a faithful remake (which it pretty much was), enjoying the remake isn't difficult to do if you liked the animated original...

Care to elaborate why you think the remake is worse? Or should I just get off your lawn?
    The other thing too is that remakes are nothing new. Vampire films predate the golden age of cinema, Shakespearean plays keep getting reproduced on stage, songs are covered, etc. Nothing inherently wrong with a remake in concept, and sometimes remakes even surpass the original (I'm not saying the live action Beauty and the Beast did, but when viewing a remake, at best allow it the chance to try to exceed or at least work on its own terms. Judge it after, not before).

Will lion king 2019 knock frozen out of highest grossing animated film of all time?