Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Personally I like the original with the culottes.

Movie/Rebirth armor, all the way all day every day. I've been wanting to see something like this in the comics far longer than the movie's been around, and I always hated the swim suit. Under certain artists it wasn't that bad (Darwyn Cook made it work), but when that's the best you can say about it......you need a change. The armor is authentic, less sexualized, still colorful, and truer to character.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I prefer the battle skirt but the boots kinda ruin the look for me a little bit, they’re hideous. The skirt paired with the classic below-the-knee boots would look better I think

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

I like both, but as I’ve always seen with regards to WW, I find the “swimsuit” comments problematic. Overtly suggestive appearances depend on who’s drawing her. But I don’t like the unstated assumption that you cannot take a female hero seriously, unless she’s fully covered. I’ve seen images of her in the Odyssey costume showing just as much cheesecake as if she were wearing the armored bustier. Even if you can’t resist calling it a “bathing suit” or “swimsuit”, then I find it particularly conservative compared to modern bathing suits.

Ultimate Member

The thing is, the Rebirth/Film costume DOESN'T "fully cover her. She still shows off quite a bit of skin, much more so than her male JL counterparts for example. It's just that the design better fits the character and is harder for artists to draw "super sexual."

Heck the film even makes a joke about her showing skin.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    So you prefer Silver Age Wonder Woman?
    Yeah, I like the main image by Andru & Esposito on that "Lost" Annual cover, but I don't like the way they were forced to draw her after that, as seen in the bottom panel. It always looked like they were trying to make Diana look like a man or else a neuter and strip her of all her womanly qualities--which put me off buying Wonder Woman comics when I was a kid.

I also like the classic H.G. Peter look.

How are these more sexy than Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman? While I understand the concern over women being made sex objects, do we really need Wonder Woman to be manly in her appearance? Isn't that just buying into another male attitude toward female super-heroes? That they can only be taken seriously if they have aspects of manhood.

And if the H.G. Peter design can be adapted as a swimsuit then so can the Gal Gadot outfit, I think

The original point of the costume wasn't to represent Amazon culture--it was to represent American culture or what the Amazons thought was all-American. So American people would accept Wonder Woman into their hearts. Pretty savvy those Amazons. And I think that's why the outfit became so iconic and one of DC's best-sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Yeah, I like the main image by Andru & Esposito on that "Lost" Annual cover, but I don't like the way they were forced to draw her after that, as seen in the bottom panel. It always looked like they were trying to make Diana look like a man or else a neuter and strip her of all her womanly qualities--which put me off buying Wonder Woman comics when I was a kid.

I also like the classic H.G. Peter look.

How are these more sexy than Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman? While I understand the concern over women being made sex objects, do we really need Wonder Woman to be manly in her appearance? Isn't that just buying into another male attitude toward female super-heroes? That they can only be taken seriously if they have aspects of manhood.

And if the H.G. Peter design can be adapted as a swimsuit then so can the Gal Gadot outfit, I think

The original point of the costume wasn't to represent Amazon culture--it was to represent American culture or what the Amazons thought was all-American. So American people would accept Wonder Woman into their hearts. Pretty savvy those Amazons. And I think that's why the outfit became so iconic and one of DC's best-sellers.
    The H.G Peter look isn’t what we’re talking about when referring to the classic swimsuit. And no, you can’t draw the Gadot suit like a swimsuit.

And who’s asking for her to be manly? We wouldn’t be accepting her in a skirt if that’s what we were asking for.

And over time, the swimsuit stopped being a top seller.

Ultimate Member

Yeah I mean how do you look at this:

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/2...Cv1_ConVar.jpg

Or this:

http://www.biocenit.cat/mypics/111/1...-wallpaper.jpg

And say with a straight face that she looks "manly."

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    And say with a straight face that she looks "manly."
    But I never said with a straight face that Gal Gadot looks manly. In fact, I was saying the opposite. But other posters seem to be saying that WW shouldn't be so sexy. I just don't see the difference in "sexiness" between the two costumes. Nor does it seem anymore practical to use the H.G. Peter outift as a bathing costume than it does to use the new outfit--but for WW merchandise, you could equally use the elements from those designs to create a swimsuit for sale--yet both costumes need some fixes to make them work as bathing suits. You'd have to get rid of all the metallic elements from either version and the boots.

If you want Wonder Woman to look "authentic," maybe use the design from the Attic pottery for Achilles and Penthesilea.

Movie/ Rebirth Armor 1000x. I still like my classic toys and figures, but there's no comparison.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    But I never said with a straight face that Gal Gadot looks manly. In fact, I was saying the opposite. But other posters seem to be saying that WW shouldn't be so sexy. I just don't see the difference in "sexiness" between the two costumes. Nor does it seem anymore practical to use the H.G. Peter outift as a bathing costume than it does to use the new outfit--but for WW merchandise, you could equally use the elements from those designs to create a swimsuit for sale--yet both costumes need some fixes to make them work as bathing suits. You'd have to get rid of all the metallic elements from either version and the boots.

If you want Wonder Woman to look "authentic," maybe use the design from the Attic pottery for Achilles and Penthesilea.

No one has said that WW shouldn't look sexy here. But there's a thing called CONTEXT. Yeah you can have her look sexy, and again there's nothing about her Rebirth/Movie costume that makes her look any less "sexy." But her superhero costume, which she's meant to be taken seriously in, shouldn't be primarily about sex appeal.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I love the traditional Greek aspect so battle armor all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm going to go with classic costume. It's simplier, more colorful, and that gives it a nice larger than life feeling that superheroes need.

There's been a huge trend this last decade or so where artists feel the need to make every costume "practical and realistic" and it's just horrible. Where's the fun in practical?
    I agree!

WW DODSON.jpg

Ultimate Member

Yes so "larger than life" that I see hundreds or outfits just like it when I go to the beach for vacation, and many even more colorful/elaborate ones on top of that.

It's a glorified one-piece swimsuit, nothing more. Lets not pretend like it's "grander" than it actually is.

I can't lie, the movie costume has won me over though. I love it for the boot/knee guard combination when they're drawn correctly.

WW trinity3.jpg

These aren't quite right, when they're drawn correctly you can see an echo of the original boots.