Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Movie/Rebirth armor, all the way all day every day. I've been wanting to see something like this in the comics far longer than the movie's been around, and I always hated the swim suit. Under certain artists it wasn't that bad (Darwyn Cook made it work), but when that's the best you can say about it......you need a change. The armor is authentic, less sexualized, still colorful, and truer to character.
    This is why I like the swimsuit. People were trying to force her into battle armor for 20 years before the movie debuted, like that's the ONLY way she could be taken seriously. It's not. She became an ICON in that swimsuit and it should be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This is why I like the swimsuit. People were trying to force her into battle armor for 20 years before the movie debuted, like that's the ONLY way she could be taken seriously. It's not. She became an ICON in that swimsuit and it should be respected.
    I question if she was ever really taken seriously in the swimsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahina View Post
    It's been 2 years since Wonder Woman's rebirth/movie armor costume debuted.

Are you happy with the rebirth/movie armor costume she's wearing now or do you want back the classic swimsuit costume back?
    Rebirth 100%!

Nearly every aspect of the original costume has been carried over and modernized (We can definitely lose the brown strap, though). It is very clearly a Wonder Woman costume, and my favourite rendition has got to be Nicola Scott's. It's perfect.

DC has got Superman and Batman wearing their underwear on the outside again and they look utterly ridiculous standing next to Wonder Woman in her current outfit. I honestly can't ever understand the pushback against letting these characters looks evolve with the times.

Incredible Member

IMO At the end of the day where talking about superhero comics,A level of ridiculousness and sillyness to be expected.

The outfits stick because they're tied to the identity of said characters

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

While I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the briefs, I do love the Rebirth/Movie costume. I never had the issue with the original that others have had and the problem of artists not drawing her completely covered also falls back on editorial not stepping in and saying "No, you can't do that." It's not like they haven't had panels redrawn for less.
    As for the Rebirth costume, I do wish the skirt were a brighter blue and had more prominent stars, but I do like it very much. The boots are fine either way, although, again, I do have a soft spot for the below the knee red with a white stripe version.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    IMO At the end of the day where talking about superhero comics,A level of ridiculousness and sillyness to be expected.

A lot of people seem to forget this. We can believe a man can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes, walk through walls...but how dare their clothing not be practical and real world enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I question if she was ever really taken seriously in the swimsuit.
    Some could say the same about Superman's trunks, but they're back like they never went away.

I thought the Fabok design was quite good at reinterpreting the classic swimsuit costume for a new era and for the demands of filmmaking. If anything I'm more against it because she's always carrying a sword around now.

IMG_0455.jpg

I'll always have affection for the swimsuit version too, but it really depends on who's drawing it. Yes, to Perez, Jimenez, JLGL, etc. and no, to Deodato and others who tried to popularize the Wonder Thong.

Some could say the same about Superman's trunks, but they're back like they never went away.
    Yeah but they haven't brought back Diana's swimsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    A lot of people seem to forget this. We can believe a man can fly, shoot lasers from his eyes, walk through walls...but how dare their clothing not be practical and real world enough.

Not every level of sillyness has to be accepted. All stories need some level of grounding.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I thought the Fabok design was quite good at reinterpreting the classic swimsuit costume for a new era and for the demands of filmmaking. If anything I'm more against it because she's always carrying a sword around now.

IMG_0455.jpg

I'll always have affection for the swimsuit version too, but it really depends on who's drawing it. Yes, to Perez, Jimenez, JLGL, etc. and no, to Deodato and others who tried to popularize the Wonder Thong.
    Well in the film she has that costume, and in the final battle against Ares she doesn't use a sword (it was destroyed) or shield (she loses it). She only uses the lasso and her own strength. So that's not really a problem with the costume itself.

the problem isn't the costume having a sword and shield, it's the writers and artists not putting any thought into how to better utilize her lasso and all the things it can do. The movie was an excellent example of what can be done with the lasso as an offensive weapon, we just need the comic book writers to follow the lead and better utilize it over the sword and shield.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yeah but they haven't brought back Diana's swimsuit.
    That's because the worst Superman can look is silly. He's a male comic book character, so he's fully covered.

At worst, Diana in the swimsuit looks silly and also has an ass riding thong.

Respected, sure. But you can respect something and still leave it behind.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Not every level of sillyness has to be accepted. All stories need some level of grounding.
    True,but as the earlier comment pointed out,Superman and Batman's outfits can be just as silly and the characters are still taken seriously. So this defence rings a bit hollow in regards to the classic outfit.

Look I get the Swimsuit as some fan servicely elements that a lot of people are turned off by.I see the skirt as a happy compromise in that regard. But retiring the Swimsuit on the sole basics that 'it looks silly' doesn't really make sense to me.