Super Moderator

Default Comic-Con International Sends C&D to Salt Lake Comic Con Over Term "Comic Con"

As Comic-Con International kicks into full gear, its lawyers have sent a letter to Salt Lake Comic Con demanding organizers stop using the term "Comic Con."

Full article here.

If they hold a copyright on the term, then they have not defended it very well.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Wow, this is beyond stupid.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    If they hold a copyright on the term, then they have not defended it very well.
    They own the hyphenated term "Comic-Con." What San Diego is claiming is that Salt Lake City are trying to confuse the market and make people think the shows are connected.

What happened, as I see it, is San Diego got pissed that Salt Lake City advertised in San Diego during the San Diego show. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    They own the hyphenated term "Comic-Con." What San Diego is claiming is that Salt Lake City are trying to confuse the market and make people think the shows are connected.

What happened, as I see it, is San Diego got pissed that Salt Lake City advertised in San Diego during the San Diego show. I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on.
    I don't think they do either. Plus, there's a lot of comic cons going on.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Amazing Member

I notice that there is no mention of them trying to challenge New York Comic Con. With NYCC approaching or matching SDCC in size and attendance, is this a case of them just going after the smaller cons?
    Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze

Quote Originally Posted by funeralthirst7 View Post
    I notice that there is no mention of them trying to challenge New York Comic Con. With NYCC approaching or matching SDCC in size and attendance, is this a case of them just going after the smaller cons?

Attendance wise, Salt Lake isn't a smaller con. There's nothing to do in Utah, so when they have one, they're doing around 100K, last I saw.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

SLCC has become one of the largest cons in the US in less than a year. Whether that continues I don't know, but it isn't because there's nothing else to do in UT. Rather there's a huge market for pop culture here. I really think SDCC feels threatened with SLCC's success and possible future growth.

Here's SLCC's press release: Salt Lake Comic Con Press Release

The USPTO has already ruled that the generic term "comic con" cannot be trademarked as evidenced by the huge number of conventions nationwide that use the term: Partial list of Comic Cons