Incredible Member

Default Superman and Kryptonite

Does it make sense that Superman take no proactive measures against kryptonite? It can easily kill him but he takes an "I'll deal with it when I face it" approach,

Astonishing Member

He does experiments in the Fortress looking for a way to counteract the effects in most continuities. But carrying around some anti-K devices that would survive most of the other situations he is in, seems impractical. And X-raying every person he encounters seems paranoid.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

It's because writer just want some plot device to make superman weak. If superman overcame that, then it will be hard for them.
    In universe though, I feel like clark doesn't do it. Because he wants people to be not afraid of him, wants deterrents against him in the hands of good capable people, his optimistic personality . It is like a cat showing his belly.Atleast that would be how I write it as, if I get a chance.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-23-2018 at 03:04 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Kryptonite is the great proverbial weakness, but keep in mind that it's not a fear. To the contrary, it's something that he hasn't objected to in the past. The existence of Kryptonite is a natural balance to his great power. If all he has to worry about is the occasional wielder with malicious intent, he is getting off pretty easy.

I don't know... it's like wondering why Batman hasn't found a way to make himself immune to plutonium radiation or something.

Kryptonite REALLY isn't THAT common. When he DOES know it's going to be an issue he has special suits and stuff to protect him. When you're immune to 99% of the things out there 99% of the time, it is a little paranoid to worry about that 1%. Besides everything he has still needs to hide under Clark's suit coat.... so random mech armor and stuff isn't going to be standard gear.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's like Batman fighting long range to spare himself the rather occasional whooping.

Yeah, it's not supposed to be that common a substance and Clark's not a paranoid guy. And what preventative measures would survive the average day anyway? Hell, that's one of the typical troupes isn't it? Clark runs into Metallo or someone using kryptonite, Clark loses the first fight due to k-radiation, only to return with a lead-lined suit.....and that suit only survives fight two, with fight three still to go. The preventative measures Clark has just won't survive his life.

Besides, Clark's generally something of a "McGyver" kind of guy; if he needs a tool he'll throw it together on the spot. He's got stuff locked away for a rainy day, like the aforementioned lead-lined suits or whatever, but he usually just makes things up as he goes along.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

No but it’s also dumb Batman doesn’t just build himself the Beyond suit right now considering they’ve made him a genius only second to Lex. You just gotta roll with it.

One story idea I had was an alternate universe where Galatea was less loyal to Cadmus to the point where she suspected they were secretly plotting to do away with her as soon as she stopped being useful to them. In part this is because she used her super senses to study the facility in ways Cadmus didn't want anyone to do. In doing so she found that they did in fact have anti-Kryptonian security measures, and decided to find a way to circumvent them. One of these was adapting a device that Cadmus had created to store Kryptonite energy into a brooch she could wear. It didn't make her immune to Kryptonite but rather absorbed Kryptonite energy from her environment. Thus she wouldn't feel any effect from standing in a room with a piece of Kryptonite. Touching it was different.

Anyways... apparently Superman can't simply wear a lead-lined suit since his regular suit is too thin. So yeah...