View Poll Results: Should the Wonder Woman '77 Series Continue?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I love the concept of a comic series set in the 70's TV series.

10 90.91%
  • No! DC should be putting effort into other Wonder Woman projects!

1 9.09%
  • I don't care one way or another.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman '77... What's Next?

One of the delightful surprises of the past few years has been the series Wonder Woman '77, a comic set in the world of the 70's Lynda Carter TV series.

Unfortunately, there hasn't been any material for the series since 2017's Wonder Woman '77 Meets the Bionic Woman. What do you think DC should do with the series? Is it over and done with? Would you like to see Wonder Woman crossover with other retro action stars?

Personally, I think the writing duties should go back to Marc Andreyko, who did a fabulous job with the first volume of the series. Once other creative teams got their hands on it, it became quite messy and less cohesive. As for art, Jason Badower did some of the most beautiful comic art I've ever seen in the "Who is Wonder Woman?" story for the series, so I'd love to see him return. Drew Johnson is always fantastic, too.

Basically I want more of what we got in Wonder Woman '77 Vol. 1 and less of what we got in Vol. 2. Crossovers would be fine, but the 70's was way before my time so I don't have any real connection/nostalgia for it. Maybe Wonder Woman Meets Charlie's Angels? Or more Scooby Doo crossovers? Who knows. I'd be fine with just more of Diana on her own, though, with more 70's revamps of her rogues gallery.

Spectacular Member

I think it’s pretty much run it’s course. There hasn’t been any movement in a while now. I’d love to see DC/WB get Lynda and Lyle back to do an animated movie like they did with the Adam West Batman. The comic however was always hit and miss for me. I loved seeing an official comic book with Lynda’s WW, but when I read a lot of the stories, she sounded and read more like George Perez’s WW in Lynda Carter’s costume. When they brought Cheetah in, she was Barbara Minerva, who didn’t even exist in the ‘70s. They should have used Priscilla Rich (who was on the “Challenge of the Super Friends” at the time the series was airing)or even Debbie Domaine. It would have felt more in line with the spirit of the show and time period. I enjoyed the crossover with the Bionic Woman. The writer put in a lot of references and little Easter eggs that recalled specific characters or episodes. I’d LOVE to see a WW77 and Charlie’s Angels crossover. I believe the same company that was doing the Bionic Woman comic is doing a CA series, so that seems like a no-brainer, especially with a new Angels movie coming out soon.

I lived Wonder Woman meets the Bionic Woman! Diana a and Jaime are sisters in many ways, including both having love interests named Steve.

However, great other team-ups are if limited potential, since there are no other super-powered people from the 70's onward, with the exception if The Greatest American Hero.

Maybe, keep it totally female themed and gave WW team up with a variety of Charlie's Angeles from each decade?

Or, WW meets the Dynasty family of Carringtons, saves them from assassination and financial ruin?

WW discovers more hiiden oil, brings JR to Justice and saves Southfork?

I liked both the solo stories and the crossovers. Yes, WW meets the Bionic Woman was the absolute height of it. I also liked how they had it be a lot like the show but pushed it a step or two further in terms of themes.

You can argue that it's run it's course. I would argue that you could say the same thing about every long term comic book character out there. I would love to see it continue along with Batman '66 and hopefully a Superman '55 (George Reeves).
    Power with Girl is better.

I really enjoyed the 77 series of specials. They are instant classics with the work Mangels did really stepping to the fore. I also enjoyed the team up with TV Batman

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Comic series or cartoon please but use her comics villains in either case.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I really enjoyed the 77 series of specials. They are instant classics with the work Mangels did really stepping to the fore. I also enjoyed the team up with TV Batman
    Yes, no one can deny the great work Andy Mangles has done in shining a spotlight on our favorite hero. More please!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I would love to see DC do more with the '77 set whether it be more cartoons or as someone above mentioned, animated movies (PLEASE OH PLEASE!!)
    More well done Wonder Woman is good in any format.

It was a fun ride and full of nostalgia, but I'm ready for something new. Thankfully (and hopefully) the Black Label books will deliver some of that.

What I think Diana needs next is twofold... A. an animated series as brilliant (in its own way) as BTAS and B. a run like Morrison's on Batman that strives to revitalize and "make everything count" in Diana's long, sometimes political, sometimes zany, history - especially the concepts of her costumed villains.

I can't think of another "big" DC character (like Supes, or Flash, or Green Lantern, etc.), except maybe Aquaman, that hasn't had significant focus and creative excellence applied to her long list of intriguing villain concepts. I don't know why creatives seem so limited or narrow in focus regarding developing the excellent and intriguing and frightening and bizarre and powerful and wicked Wonder Woman foes, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It was a fun ride and full of nostalgia, but I'm ready for something new. Thankfully (and hopefully) the Black Label books will deliver some of that.

What I think Diana needs next is twofold... A. an animated series as brilliant (in its own way) as BTAS and B. a run like Morrison's on Batman that strives to revitalize and "make everything count" in Diana's long, sometimes political, sometimes zany, history - especially the concepts of her costumed villains.

I can't think of another "big" DC character (like Supes, or Flash, or Green Lantern, etc.), except maybe Aquaman, that hasn't had significant focus and creative excellence applied to her long list of intriguing villain concepts. I don't know why creatives seem so limited or narrow in focus regarding developing the excellent and intriguing and frightening and bizarre and powerful and wicked Wonder Woman foes, but here we are.
    Just to point this out, Aquaman did have that well recieved Geoff Johns run which made use of Black Manta, Ocean King, Fisherman, Scavenger, and Atlan. So yeah, only Wonder Woman suffers on this front.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Just to point this out, Aquaman did have that well recieved Geoff Johns run which made use of Black Manta, Ocean King, Fisherman, Scavenger, and Atlan. So yeah, only Wonder Woman suffers on this front.
    He did and I enjoyed the run, but I don’t consider tackling five foes (or even a few more) a huge effort at diving deep into the bench of redeveloping Aqua-villains.

Diana deserves better given the concepts behind her villains (from the psychological to zany), her publishing history (arguably only matched by Supes, Bats, and the Justice League), and how they could be reimagined for a contemporary audience and issues.

(But, I might be incredibly biased considering how much I think about all her villains and how to revitalize them.)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    He did and I enjoyed the run, but I don’t consider tackling five foes (or even a few more) a huge effort at diving deep into the bench of redeveloping Aqua-villains.

Diana deserves better given the concepts behind her villains (from the psychological to zany), her publishing history (arguably only matched by Supes, Bats, and the Justice League), and how they could be reimagined for a contemporary audience and issues.

(But, I might be incredibly biased considering how much I think about all her villains and how to revitalize them.)
    Considering its a jarring feat when a writer of Wonder Woman even uses three villains with any level of skill or ability anymore and those choices almost always being amongst the short list of 'Circe, Doctor Psycho, Cheetah, and Ares.' more would not hurt in the least

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Considering its a jarring feat when a writer of Wonder Woman even uses three villains with any level of skill or ability anymore and those choices almost always being amongst the short list of 'Circe, Doctor Psycho, Cheetah, and Ares.' more would not hurt in the least
    Exactly. Give me more of Giganta, Doctor Cyber, Eviless, Inversion, Saturna, Anton Unreal, Zara, Queen Clea, and others STAT, please.

I've been really hankering a good Giganta story for quite a while now. She always appears as a one-page intro battle for a different story arc, and that's really disappointing for such an iconic character. Wonder Woman '77 would've been the perfect opportunity to bring in a campy Giganta formerly gorilla story, since the main DC Universe doesn't seem to be willing to.

Wonder Woman ‘74 - The blonde version.