Fantastic Member

Default Recommend Me Some Sub Mariner Graphic Novels Please...

Any Namor reading material thank you.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

While an excellent, excellent story with beautiful Esad Ribic art, that's an alternate reality Namor story that actually features very little of that alt-Namor on panel.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Check out Crushing Krisis blog post on Namor collections: https://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-...raphic-novels/

An incomplete list from the Namor Appreciation thread with additions by me.

Personal recommendation, if you don't mind an late 80s, early 90s comic, this book gives a great overview of Namor. Of course, you'll be surprised when you compare him to the modern portrayals of the character.

Sub-Mariner and Original Human Torch: feature Saga of the Sub-Mariner - A 12 issue miniseries that is an autobiography of Namor's life from birth to 1990 (right before John Bryne's Namor book) written by Roy Thomas with art by Bob McLeod.

These are all the collected editions of Namor's solo books:

NAMOR ALL NAMOR - The Essentials

Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Sub-Mariner 1
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Sub-Mariner 2
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Sub-Mariner 3
    Marvel Masterworks Atlas Heroes 3 (Collects Atlas era Sub-Mariner #33-42)

Essential Sub-Mariner (basically reprints Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 1 & 2 in black and white in trade)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 1 (Collects Marvel Comics #1, Daredevil #7, Tales to Astonish #70-87)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 2 (Collects Tales to Astonish #88-101, Tales of Suspense #80, Iron Man & Sub Mariner #1, and Sub-Mariner #1.)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 3 (Collects Sub-Mariner #2-13)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 4 (Collects Sub-Mariner #14-25)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 5 (Collects Sub-Mariner #26-38 Ka-Zar (1970) 1)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 6 (Collects Sub-Mariner #39-49; Daredevil (1964) 77)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 7 (Collects Sub-Mariner #50-60)
    Marvel Masterworks Sub-Mariner 8 (Collects Sub-Mariner #61-72; Marvel Spotlight 27)

Namor John Byrne Visionaries v1 (Collects Namor #1-9)
    Namor John Byrne Visionaries v2 (Collects Namor #10-18)

Sub-Mariner Revolution (Collects Sub-Mariner Initiative #1-6)
    Namor the First Mutant: Curse of the Mutants (Collects NtFM #1-4)
    Namor the First Mutant: Namor Goes to Hell (Collects NtFM #5-11)

These are books where Namor is on the team, though I haven't found all the appearances when he was on the Avengers and Fantastic Four and X-Men:

ON THE TEAM

Marvel Masterworks Defenders v1 (Collects Sub-Mariner #34-35, Marvel Feature #1-3, Defenders #1-6)
    Marvel Masterworks Defenders v2 (Collects Defenders #7-16, Giant-Size Defenders #1 & Avengers #115-118)
    Marvel Masterworks Defenders v3 (Collects Defenders #17-21, Giant-Size Defenders #2-4, Marvel Two-In-One #6-7; and Material From Mystery Tales #21, World Of Fantasy #11 and Tales Of Suspense (1959) #96)
    Marvel Masterworks Defenders v6 (Collects #42-57 and material from FOOM #19)

Essential Defenders 1 (Collects Dr. Strange #183, Sub-Mariner #22 and 34-35, Incredible Hulk #126, Marvel Feature #1-3, Defenders #1-14, and Avengers #115-118 in black and white)

Avengers Defenders War
    Defenders Indefensible (Collects Defenders Mini-series #1-5)
    Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Force / The Deep
    The Defenders v1
    The Defenders v2

Invaders Classic 1 (Collects Invaders #1-9, Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1, and Marvel Premiere #29-30)
    Invaders Classic 2 (Collects Invaders #10-21 and Annual #1)
    Invaders Classic 3 (Collects Invaders #22-23 and #25-34)
    Invaders Classic 4 (Collects Invaders #35-41 and Invaders 1993 #1-4)
    Complete Classic Invaders v1 (Collects the above)
    Complete Classic Invaders v2 (Collects the above)

Once an Invader
    New Invaders to End All Wars (Collects New Invaders #1-9 )
    Invaders Eve of Destruction (Collects Marvel Universe #1-7)
    Avengers / Invaders
    The Torch
    Invaders Now!
    All New Invaders v1
    All New Invaders v2
    All New Invaders v3

Secret Empire Brave New World

Avengers Assault on Olympus

Uncanny X-Men v1

New Avengers: The Illuminati
    New Avengers v1
    New Avengers v2
    New Avengers v3

Marvel 70th Anniversary Collection
    Super Villains Unite: The Complete Super-Villain Team-Up (Collects Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up #1-2; Super-Villain Team-Up #1-14, #16-17; Avengers (1963) #154-156; Champions #16)
    Essential Super Villain Team-Up (Collects Astonishing Tales #1-8, Avengers #154-156, Champions #16 and Super-Villain Team-Up issues #1-17 in black and white)

GUEST APPEARANCES

Golden Age Marvel Comics Omnibus (Collects Marvel Comics #1, and Marvel Mystery Comics #2-12)
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v1
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v2
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v3
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v4
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v5
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v6
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Marvel Comics v7

Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Human Torch v1
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Human Torch v2 (Collects Human Torch 5b-8)
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Human Torch v3

Marvel Masterworks Golden Age All Winners Squad v1
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age All Winners Squad v2
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age All Winners Squad v3
    Marvel Masterworks Golden Age All Winners Squad v4

Marvel Masterworks Atlas Heroes 1
    Marvel Masterworks Atlas Heroes 2

The Marvels
    The Marvels Project
    Fantastic Four Omnibus 1 (Fantastic Four - issues #1-30 and Annual #1)
    Captain America The Man With No Face (Collects Captain America #43-48)
    Incredible Hercules Love and War (Collects Incredible Hercules #121-125)
    Agents of Atlas 2: Turf Wars ( Collects Agents of Atlas #6-11, and X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas #1-2)

ALTERNATE UNIVERSE
    Fantastic Four 1234
    Sub-Mariner the Depths
    Ultimate Fantastic Four 5: Crossover (Collects Ultimate Fantastic Four #21-26)
    Ultimate Fantastic Four 11: Salem Seven (Collects Ultimate Fantastic Four #54-57)
    Last edited by Reviresco; 11-24-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

well I was going to suggest Sub-Mariner: Revolution and some golden age stories mixed with early Fantastic Four comics, but Reviresco appears to have you covered
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    well I was going to suggest Sub-Mariner: Revolution and some golden age stories mixed with early Fantastic Four comics, but Reviresco appears to have you covered
    Sub-Mariner Revolution (2007) is a good modern introduction to Namor, though as an old school Namor fan, I had to disagree with some things. However, I think more of the modern appearances draw from this rather ruthless take on Namor.

The early FF appearances are all in that first FF Omnibus, I believe -- and they are classic FF and Namor. But not everyone is up for Silver Age comics, or the price of an omnibus. But now that I think on it, that graphic novel, Fantastic Four Season One, sort of updates the original stories, is about Namor's revival, so I would recommend that for people that don't like Silver Age books. Though as an old school fan, I don't see how one can't love Namor as a movie mogul. ;p

If you have a problem with Silver Age books, you probably aren't going to like any of the Golden Age stuff. But if you want to try something, I would suggest Marvel Masterworks Atlas Heroes v3. It is the 1950s Bill Everett stories, and they are gorgeous -- much better than the art of the 1940s. Plus, there are Young Namor stories.

My own personal favorites are the Silver / Bronze Age Namor solo that are reprinted in the Marvel Masterworks.