Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry A Terror to the Deep: Black Manta Appreciation Thread

Created by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy, Black Manta first appeared in Aquaman #35 (September 1967). It just felt appropriate to show some love to one of DC's most ruthless villains.

Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-23-2018 at 11:19 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

What do you guys think are the odds of Manta keeping his new Life Force powers in some capacity? Maybe gaining an alternative power derived from the Tear of Extinction; making him and Aquaman even more of a yin and yang relationship.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

I don't think he will, and I don't think he should. I actually like the fact that he can't go toe to toe with all of Arthur's powers, but that he keeps coming and that Arthur can't actually go all out on him because he knows that he created Black Manta.

It makes their relations even more poignant.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Created by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy, Black Manta first appeared in Aquaman #35 (September 1967). It just felt appropriate to show some love to one of DC's most ruthless villains.

Uh.. who is he bumping off there?

what are his current powers and standard equipment? What is his current origin?

Black Manta is the son of a treasure hunter, who had been hired to get some of Arthur Curry's DNA, to prove that he's not a normal human.

Manta killed Aquaman's father, and Arthur pursued him through the oceans. Sadly, when he found his boat, Arthur, in the throes of his rage and hatred, killed Manta's father and disfigured him.

Manta then vowed to not only kill Aquaman but to destroy everything he ever tried to build. He uses a high-tech suit able to shot laser through his lenses and his natural skills to hunt down and kill several of the Others, Aquaman's first team, often stealing Atlanteans relics to add to his strength.

He also saved the world during Forever Evil because he believed that the Crime Syndicate had killed Aquaman, and thus deserved to die for stealing his prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't think he will, and I don't think he should. I actually like the fact that he can't go toe to toe with all of Arthur's powers, but that he keeps coming and that Arthur can't actually go all out on him because he knows that he created Black Manta.

It makes their relations even more poignant.
    Hmm I disagree, I think it would be a good idea for him to keep his power boost. It makes him a more formidable foe and, while he has been able to go toe to toe in some capacity thus far, everytime he fights Aquaman feels kinda empty because he always loses as soon as Arthur gets any kind of serious. I think the Life Force or Tear of Extinction are good boosts for him because (as far as we can tell) it doesn't appear to give him any remarkable physical boost but it adds a dangerous tool to his arsenal that he could use to give their fights some tension and weight imo. Plus, we've seen in Suicide Squad and Forever Evil that Black Manta is one of the most capable combatants around, so I think this boost gives him a chance to be a bigger threat amongst the DC villain pantheon (not the cosmic level guys); which is a good move if they decide to capitalize on the movie (assuming Black Manta has a good showing) to make him a bigger presence.

Also, if he were motivated by some kind of bigoted hatred of Atlantians then I would say it would make sense to keep him without powers but I think him keeping the Life Force or some variant actually makes sense from a character standpoint too. I feel him being connected to the Life Force in some way is a natural progression for him given his hatred for Arthur, love of the sea, fascination with Atlantian culture/artifacts, and desire to take from Arthur.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 11-25-2018 at 07:04 PM.

currently following:

I think it’s about time Black Manta had his own comic or mini series. The Deathstroke book has been fantastic and he’s still portrayed as an insufferable bastard. Priest hasn’t sugar coated the fact that Slade is an *******. I’m sure a Manta book could be fun but still keep him on the villainous side.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it’s about time Black Manta had his own comic or mini series. The Deathstroke book has been fantastic and he’s still portrayed as an insufferable bastard. Priest hasn’t sugar coated the fact that Slade is an *******. I’m sure a Manta book could be fun but still keep him on the villainous side.
    I was thinking the same thing. I think Manta is interesting, in the sense that, (per Suicide Squad) he does have some degree of nobility....until you mention anything Aquaman. I think they could have a lot of fun playing with that in a series or mini.

Also this gem of a moment alone should earn him a series

currently following:

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really hope if they do bring back some pre-flashpoint history after Doomsday Clock that Manta killing Aquaman and Mera's infant son is one of the things they bring back. Manta killing Arthur Jr. really ups the stakes in the hate between Aquaman and Manta in my opinion. Not to mention it would be interesting to see Mera's reaction considering how much her personality has changed since then. I could see Mera going full on rage mode and going after Manta like a beast compared to her having a breakdown like last time.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 11-25-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I think Manta is interesting, in the sense that, (per Suicide Squad) he does have some degree of nobility....until you mention anything Aquaman. I think they could have a lot of fun playing with that in a series or mini.

Also this gem of a moment alone should earn him a series
    good lord, seriously?!?!?!?! Dude is just... completely off the rails..

Black Manta has become a favorite villain of mine due to his ruthlessness. I love when he and Aquaman face one another since it is always extremely violent. I hope he has a good showing in the upcoming film and manages to be portrayed as a great villain.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    good lord, seriously?!?!?!?! Dude is just... completely off the rails..
    Yeah, he's....

pretty intense; but one redeeming quality

not a homophobe

currently following:

I liked Black Manta in Young Justice. His armor was great and I liked the tension between him and Aqualad.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

He didn't kill Aquababy in the current continuity, did he? That turned me off the character for decades.