Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I never liked phyco killer Manta. His portrayal in YJ is the best for me.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Always loved Black Manta for his aesthetic badassery, ruthlessness, and the personal nature of his villainy. I prefer some of his other origins to the present one, but no matter which is in play, his character always ends up just as bitterly determined and resentful of all Arthur holds dear.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    He didn't kill Aquababy in the current continuity, did he? That turned me off the character for decades.
    There is no Aquababy in this continuity, Aquaman and Mera aren't even married yet thus far. Their hated for each other is strictly about their Dads now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    I think there's a happy medium that the character can live in; that's why I dig the Suicide Squad characterization. He's a insanely capable person but he's clearly a broken man with obvious issues, so when he does psychotic **** it makes sense. I like when writers play with the idea that he does have to capacity not to be deranged so long as Aquaman isn't involved. I think a clever way to play with that would be to have a story where we see all the things he COULD be accomplishing if he didn't have such a rage boner for Arthur.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Created by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy, Black Manta first appeared in Aquaman #35 (September 1967). It just felt appropriate to show some love to one of DC's most ruthless villains.

I’ve always liked the character. Even as a kid watching the Superfriends with his goofy oversized helmet. But why are his speech bubbles black when he’s not wearing the suit? I thought the black bubbles represented his robot voice?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I really hope if they do bring back some pre-flashpoint history after Doomsday Clock that Manta killing Aquaman and Mera's infant son is one of the things they bring back. Manta killing Arthur Jr. really ups the stakes in the hate between Aquaman and Manta in my opinion. Not to mention it would be interesting to see Mera's reaction considering how much her personality has changed since then. I could see Mera going full on rage mode and going after Manta like a beast compared to her having a breakdown like last time.

If they bring back Arthur Jr. (and hopefully give him a new name... maybe Thomas like in that recent annual).... I hope they don’t kill him off. Black Manya ranks up there with the Joker and Green Goblin for having killed off a loved one of their arch enemy and having it last for a significant amount of time. Not only did Black Manta kill his son, but he broke up his friendship with Aqualad and his marriage to Mera. But one of the things that made Aquaman unique is that he got married and had a kid early on. I think superheroes should be allowed to grow up.

I found that awesome wallpaper on reddit, it seemed awfully fitting.

Maybe I'm a morbid jerk but the death of Aquababy was something unique that I liked. I don't absolutely need it back or anything, but it was a different type of tragedy that no other Leaguer had experienced aside from J'onn, though it's much different even then.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. I think Manta is interesting, in the sense that, (per Suicide Squad) he does have some degree of nobility....until you mention anything Aquaman. I think they could have a lot of fun playing with that in a series or mini.

Also this gem of a moment alone should earn him a series
    this is one of the most hard/cold blooded scenes in DC history but at the same time its also hilariously ludicrous like something you'd see on Family Guy.

Johns is lucky he had great artists. His Black Manta was super formidable and intimidating, but didn't have a lot of characterization. He just hated Aquaman and would do anything to take him out. He was merciless and relentless, but didn't get a ton of depth even though he was focused in Aquaman and Forever Evil
    The J-man

Have you try Black Manta in Injustice 2? Totally badass. I love Black Manta's design, though I haven't had the chance of reading many comics with him, I like what Johns wrote and his participation in Young Justice. I'm looking forward to some day read when he kills Arthur Jr and also Justice
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Agree. The psycho killer makes me like him less but it adds such ferocity to his character.

Mighty Member

I'll third the preference of the animated Young Justice portrayal. There was something very noble about the character. "For it is not in success where true character is revealed, but in failure." This quote really stuck out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I'll third the preference of the animated Young Justice portrayal. There was something very noble about the character. "For it is not in success where true character is revealed, but in failure." This quote really stuck out to me.
    He definitely had a sense of justice, even if we consider it way skewed.

I know writers wouldn't be able to sustain it deftly enough, but for that reason I was always a fan of the afro-centric supremacist angle.

I think that the perfect Black Manta would be a mix of the current comics one and the one from Young Justice.

This guy should hate Aquaman with a fiery passion, because of very personal reasons. But he should also cares about his family, his ethnicity and all that, to balance his psychotic aspect with a noble one.

That's why I was so disappointed by his character in this little Rebirth arc of the Teen Titans where he teamed with Aqualad.

Which superhero would you guys like to Black Manta take on besides Aquaman and why?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I prefer the Aquababy killing version of Black Manta.
    It's what made him such a terrific villain.
    He actually succeeded in dismantling a hero's life!
    Arthur lost his son, Mera and Garth and it was something Arthur never really recovered from.
    Name another villain who has made such a mark on their nemesis!
    There's also the fact that he is one of the most badassiest looking characters in comics.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.