Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

That's a good point about the sales for the first issue. I believe that until Action 1000, Superman Vol.2 #204 was the best selling single issue of Superman since the Death and Return era. I don't even think the New 52 relaunch issues broke above it. That comes to show how hyped that story was. It's easy to forget 15 or so years later.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

"For Tomorrow" was a disappointment for the following reasons, IMHO:

1. It was not the easily accessible tale for the Superverse that "Hush" successfully was for the Batverse. "For Tomorrow" would always be compared to "Hush" and be found wanting.

2. The writing wasn't close to the artwork in terms of feeling the reader. IIRC, this was the first time Jim Lee was doing a lengthy Superman tale, and that was a big deal back then. The artwork was awesome, but the writing was ... let's be generous and call it "confusing".

3. The villains were forgettable, or forgettable takes. If the tale had done what Hush did, then we would have been given a guantlet of Jim Lee's Luthor, Brainiac, (the real) Zod, Mongul or Darkseid, (the real) Doomsday, Mxyzptlk, Bizarro, Metallo, Parasite, Blaze, etc. That would have been far more enjoyable than what we did get.

The closest we ever got to a “run the gauntlet” story was Up, Up, and Away! kinda surprised no one tried to copy that concept for Supes. Morrison kind of did with his New 52 Action run.

Ending Battle was like that as well.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If you don't include old takes likes "Who Took the Super out of Superman?" and "Whatever Happened."

I think the more interesting links are with Birthright, its prequel of sorts in terms of legacy, and its intended legacy in All-Star. They've always sat on my shelf as succeeding big Superman stories and if you have a Year One and a DKR there... you kinda have an offbeat, confused but somewhat ambitious middle chapter like ASBAR.

I came into this story collecting it with no particular order. Just a comic I found in a newstand. I bought a few issues and not much after, a national imprint that has the rights to publish DC and Marvel released the issues I was missing.

I enjoyed the story, there are some great and daring concepts, unfortunately, execution is lacking, especially towards the end. I like the final fight, but a lot of plots don't get resolved properly and the first half of the storyline seems as a different take on a Superman tale that the second one, probably because the role of the priest gets sidelined. There are some forced moments, but overall, I like it. Jim Lee does a fine job, especially in action sequences.

Azzarello's angrier, full red eyes, Superman doesn't fit as well as he does in Luthor though, since there we saw Supes through his archenemy's eyes.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Ending Battle was like that as well.
    If the art hadn’t been so shoddy that would’ve been one of my favorite storylines.

I liked it. I upgraded to the Absolute edition in fact.
    Having said that, I think I prefer Azz when he works with other artists that fit his takes more -- and vice versa for Lee. The Luthor book for example.
    I'm surprised to see only one person mention the Zod in this, by the way. What a crazy redesign.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's hands down my favorite comic Zod tbh. I always find his character forced at best but at least he looked good and had a great fight.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

For Tomorrow was an oft-delayed, somber, brooding story in which it is ultimately revealed that Superman himself is at fault for the entire ordeal.

It's by no means the worst Superman story but it was very disappointing given the talent involved.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    For Tomorrow was an oft-delayed, somber, brooding story in which it is ultimately revealed that Superman himself is at fault for the entire ordeal.

It's by no means the worst Superman story but it was very disappointing given the talent involved.
    Agreed. I also felt the ending was a bit rushed.