Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 41 of 41
  1. #31
    Spectacular Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Probably because most others aren't as highly regarded as Ra's. It's not like people wet themselves over the concept of crossing Penguin or Riddler or Clayface… but for some reason "Ra's and his super-immortal terrorist and the League of Assassins" have this overwhelming 'presence' and reputation... despite not really 'earning' it. He doesn't have near enough (any??) wins to justify the Rep he has.
    The reason why most Batman villains aren't highly regarded like Ra's is because he operates on an international scale while they usually operate on a regional scale. Ra's is a global threat, the villains you listed are not. If the vast majority of Batman villains were global threats then I could see your point but in comparison to them, the presence and reputation of Ra's is going to obviously come across more prodigious.

    Ra's doesn't have enough wins? The guy who's managed to stand the test of time. The guy who's money and power rival that of Batman. The guy who keeps an army of assassins at his beck and call. The guy who's hardly ever apprehended by Batman or any of his cohorts. Chances are, you'll still be stuck on "Well, Ra's still loses", despite the fact that villains are supposed to lose despite where they rank.

  2. #32
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    The reason why most Batman villains aren't highly regarded like Ra's is because he operates on an international scale while they usually operate on a regional scale. Ra's is a global threat, the villains you listed are not. If the vast majority of Batman villains were global threats then I could see your point but in comparison to them, the presence and reputation of Ra's is going to obviously come across more prodigious.

    Ra's doesn't have enough wins? The guy who's managed to stand the test of time. The guy who's money and power rival that of Batman. The guy who keeps an army of assassins at his beck and call. The guy who's hardly ever apprehended by Batman or any of his cohorts. Chances are, you'll still be stuck on "Well, Ra's still loses", despite the fact that villains are supposed to lose despite where they rank.
    Yep, pretty much.

    It's the base definition of 'overrated'. He has all this money and 'power'... he's generally feared... but never really accomplishes anything. He has an army of Assassins, who fall over like dominos whenever confronted not just by Batman, but by any caliber of hero. they're like Daredevil's Hand Ninjas. Canon fodder for big fight scenes. Money and power are irrelevant, who in DC isn't as rich as they need to be...


    I frankly think the problem with Ra's is that he aims to BIG. He's always about wiping out entire cities or decimating populations... and therefore can and never will be allowed a 'win'. Penguin can organize all of Gotham's Crime... Two-face can kill mobsters, lawyers and Judges... Joker can kill a busload of nuns and orphans maybe a Robin or two... but Ra's is never able to destroy humanity. He's an empty threat.


    It was really one of my problems with Damian. It was always bragged up that he was trained by birth with the league of assassins... when 1) No... I doubt highly there was any real training before he was 3-4... and since he was only what, 8? 10? that gave him about 6 years?
    and 2) League Ninjas with more training than that get routinely cleaned out by Batman, Nightwing, even Tim Drake on a regular basis... so where's the bragging rights there :P

  3. #33
    Spectacular Member Nero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Yep, pretty much.

    It's the base definition of 'overrated'. He has all this money and 'power'... he's generally feared... but never really accomplishes anything. He has an army of Assassins, who fall over like dominos whenever confronted not just by Batman, but by any caliber of hero. they're like Daredevil's Hand Ninjas. Canon fodder for big fight scenes. Money and power are irrelevant, who in DC isn't as rich as they need to be...


    I frankly think the problem with Ra's is that he aims to BIG. He's always about wiping out entire cities or decimating populations... and therefore can and never will be allowed a 'win'. Penguin can organize all of Gotham's Crime... Two-face can kill mobsters, lawyers and Judges... Joker can kill a busload of nuns and orphans maybe a Robin or two... but Ra's is never able to destroy humanity. He's an empty threat.
    It's Batman's book, so it's ludicrous to think that he's not going to overcome the odds regardless of which villain he faces off with. Batman's even managed to survive Darkseid, so I guess by your logic Darkseid is no threat either.

    Ra's is already accomplished because unlike 2/3 of the other Batman villains, he's beyond striving for money and power because he's got that in spades. So why wouldn't Ra's aim big? The Penguin is usually one of many mobsters vying for control of organized crime and he's still not even on the level of Wilson Fisk. Clearly, Ra's has taken out way more people than the Joker and Two-Face combined, he certainly didn't manage to build and keep his empire all of these decades by being an empty threat.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member phantom1592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    It's Batman's book, so it's ludicrous to think that he's not going to overcome the odds regardless of which villain he faces off with. Batman's even managed to survive Darkseid, so I guess by your logic Darkseid is no threat either.

    Ra's is already accomplished because unlike 2/3 of the other Batman villains, he's beyond striving for money and power because he's got that in spades. So why wouldn't Ra's aim big? The Penguin is usually one of many mobsters vying for control of organized crime and he's still not even on the level of Wilson Fisk. Clearly, Ra's has taken out way more people than the Joker and Two-Face combined, he certainly didn't manage to build and keep his empire all of these decades by being an empty threat.
    Darkseid used to be awesome... but once they have him jobbing to Batman he has become a Joke. But he at least has enough solid wins and achievements that he used to be awesome.


    The typical Batman story has XXXXX commit a crime, Batman discovers Clues... XXXX commits another crime, Batman sets trap and beats the crap out of them. He's always standing over some bodies or broken vaults or SOMETHING that instigates things... thereby automatically giving the Riddler or Penguin or Catwoman a solid win... before they lose everything. Just the stupid trail of bodies that we've seen with Joker Smiles on them... I dont' think Ra's has NEAR that kind of kill sheet. At least shown on page. Claiming thing happened 100's of years ago in myth and whispers REALLY doesn't count.

    I never see that kind of story with Ra's. Batman always seems to stop the assassins or bomb or whatever before it ever REALLY becomes a threat. Saying that Ra's was behind 'somehow' makes it all scary and intimidating... but if it had been Clock king or Kiteman who was revealed to be the villain the plot would have been considered a joke.

    Most of all it's the Lazarus pits that make him overrated. When your one power is 'come back from the dead'... it gets used ALL the time. It reminds me of the Highlander series where Duncan MacLeod had an INSANE percentage of getting run over by hit and runs and random drive shootings at other people... I personally have never been shot and killed in a drive by shooting or run over by a speeding car while getting grocercies in my 40+ years... but in the six years that show was on the air... It had to have happened to him 15 times. All to show off the fact that he can get up again. Ra's is a master strategist, an expert swordsman, and a student of human nature over centuries... and everytime I see him, he's getting stabbed to death by SOMEONE... if Not Batman, one of his daughters, or SOMEONE... It's the kind of track record that someone like Riddler or Penguin can just laugh at because they've barely escaped death at all.

  5. #35
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Onthetrapeze View Post
    100% the Joker.
    Same for me

    Overuse has reduced him imo

  6. #36
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    175

    Default

    Joker.

    In nearly every Batman game he's the main enemy who's behind everything.

  7. #37
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I love Scott Snyder, but I don't get the hype behind the Batman Who Laughs. Every time I look at him I see the Mouth of Sauron and not a merging of Batman and Joker, and he's really just a hype man for Barbatos like Ebony Maw is for Thanos. I think his origin was actually one of the weaker ones in the Dark Knights roster; the Murder Machine and the Devastator, and to a lesser extent the Red Death were more interesting to me. Mr. Bloom is far more deserving of praise, even though he looks like a Slender Man knockoff.

    I also agree with whoever said Bane. Writers try to keep him relevant by touting how he was the man who broke Batman, but Batman's been through far worse shit since then, so he's not really that relevant anymore. The way Tom King is portraying him as this anti-Batman is forced; he's not the Ying to Batman's Yang the way Joker is. Maybe it's because I haven't read Knightfall and most depictions of Bane I've seen are from the movies, TAS, and video games, and those versions don't measure up to the source material.

  8. #38
    Incredible Member LifeIsILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    942

    Default

    It's Bane to me.

    Nothing memorable since the 90s.

  9. #39
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    5,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    It's Bane to me.

    Nothing memorable since the 90s.
    Never really could take Bane seriously because he always just seemed to be a plot device to get Bruce Wayne's Batman out of the way so the could introduce a Punisher style
    Batman in the way of Jean-Paul Valley jr. At the time people were calling for Batman to become more brutal in the way Batman handled criminal so Azrael becoming Batman
    was a way for DC to say, "Is this what you people really want?"

  10. #40
    Mighty Member Armor of God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    The Batman who Laughs, should have mentioned him before.

  11. #41
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Batman really needs a TV show like arrow, so we can really see how some of these villains would really play out.

    I think seeing a villain like bane over season would change people opinions.

    It's a shame what they did with the new 52. I thought it was going to something where we get endings. So we could really judge our heroes and villains.

    In stead of getting bored of how many times the villian gets beaten

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •