Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I like it, it's an Elseworld and any book branded that can do whatever with the character as long as I find my myself entertained. Honestly it felt Man of Steel done right. You still have Clark being semi-reluctant but you still have what makes Superman great. The ending with the newspaper is so awesome.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Which begs the question: Is EO even necessary anymore? Why not use the Black Label tag to do out of continuity stories with characters that aren't tied to anything? I like the EO books but when was the last time a Superman book came out? It's already infrequent enough as is.
    Well, the big draw of the E-1 line was that it put the genre in bookstores instead of hobby shops, and was supposed to reach a new audience. That was the main goal; to find new readers who knew superheroes from cartoons and movies but weren't going to take the dive into a LCS.

As far as I know Black Label isn't being distributed or marketed that way. It's still focused on the LCS first, bookstores a distant second. I think? I could be wrong, as my perspective may be askew. My local bookstores have all had a strong selection of trades and floppies and other geeky stuff but that might not be true nation wide.

Which does beg your question; if bookstores do carry a stronger selection of comics material than they used to, do we even *need* E-1 anymore?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Only real reason to keep EO around is because Johns isn’t done with his Batman book, and I like GL EO and wouldn’t mind more. Superman EO is done. WW EO will be done with the next book. Aquaman and Flash are a ways off if they’re ever coming. I guess a JL EO might be interesting but I doubt that will ever happen.
    I think we're looking at the end of the EO line. WW was already in the works years ago and I imagine the Flash and Aquaman ones were too. Assuming we ever get them. But I think as a permanent ongoing series, I think it's winding down. For one thing, I don't think it did what it was designed to do which was bring in new readers to comics.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, the big draw of the E-1 line was that it put the genre in bookstores instead of hobby shops, and was supposed to reach a new audience. That was the main goal; to find new readers who knew superheroes from cartoons and movies but weren't going to take the dive into a LCS.

As far as I know Black Label isn't being distributed or marketed that way. It's still focused on the LCS first, bookstores a distant second. I think? I could be wrong, as my perspective may be askew. My local bookstores have all had a strong selection of trades and floppies and other geeky stuff but that might not be true nation wide.

Which does beg your question; if bookstores do carry a stronger selection of comics material than they used to, do we even *need* E-1 anymore?
    Do we *need* stories? Everything has it merits, even the bad or stuff you don't agree with. As much as I hate something like the N52 TT, I'm grateful it exists. It is a text book example of how not to write those characters. Also every comic is someone's first so they may take some enjoyment or nostalgia from something.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hm looks like you’re right. Odd I remember Gaiman talking about how he was approached out of the blue to write Sandman.
    You might be thinking of Black Orchid. IIRC it took a long time to paint, and Gaiman had very little work to his name when he started writing it.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Do we *need* stories?
    ??? I'm talking distribution models. E-1 was created to bring the characters to a wider audience. But things have changed since the initiative began and those characters are (from what I can tell) now being pushed in bookstores in a way that they weren't when the E-1 line began.

So if bookstores are now offering trades and floppies and collections to a degree they weren't before, questioning the value of a imprint designed to do the same thing is a perfectly valid question.

And looking at the entirety of human history, yes, we *need* stories. If we didnt we likely would have dropped the habit at some point.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.