Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Zod could create Kryptonians without the codecs

Let's say the movie General Zod succeeded in turning earth into Krypton(all humans are dead), but the codecs and Superman gets vaporized somehow. It's forever lost to him. Zod has a few women on his team. The females also have the same goal of repopulating. Why not have them birth babies? I don't think they would to mind since they all care about this one goal. I know it would be natural birth, but Zod could brainwash the children to be anything he wants.

Did he have one woman on his team? I can't seem to remember.
    Last edited by DCCoolness; 07-26-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

They needed the codex for non-military genes. Zod and his followers were bred as warriors- they lacked the proper genetics for any other pursuits.

And natural births? Because that worked out so well the last time it was tried. Do we really need more abominations like Kal-El?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    And natural births? Because that worked out so well the last time it was tried. Do we really need more abominations like Kal-El?
    He turned out so messed up he decided to date a HUMAN. Genetic sob story, that one.
    Buh-bye

They needed the codex for non-military genes. Zod and his followers were bred as warriors- they lacked the proper genetics for any other pursuits.

I read the novelization and I'd say that's a pretty apt description of what Zod would be thinking. As it was, the fact that Jor-El and Lara even gave birth the natural way was EXTREMELY offensive to him. I could imagine Faora-Ul and the others (there were at LEAST two other military women) being at all interested in the natural birth (not necessarily sex, just giving birth through traditional means).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DCCoolness View Post
    Let's say the movie General Zod succeeded in turning earth into Krypton(all humans are dead), but the codecs and Superman gets vaporized somehow. It's forever lost to him. Zod has a few women on his team. The females also have the same goal of repopulating. Why not have them birth babies? I don't think they would to mind since they all care about this one goal. I know it would be natural birth, but Zod could brainwash the children to be anything he wants.

Did he have one woman on his team? I can't seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    He turned out so messed up he decided to date a HUMAN. Genetic sob story, that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    I read the novelization and I'd say that's a pretty apt description of what Zod would be thinking. As it was, the fact that Jor-El and Lara even gave birth the natural way was EXTREMELY offensive to him. I could imagine Faora-Ul and the others (there were at LEAST two other military women) being at all interested in the natural birth (not necessarily sex, just giving birth through traditional means).

Nam-Ek: "Well, Zod's a quitter, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. Faora, it's time to fulfill our duty."

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Nam-Ek: "Well, Zod's a quitter, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do. Faora, it's time to fulfill our duty."
    Reading the novelization I doubt very much Nam-Ek will be doing anything with Faora. Maybe the other one but Faora? If they're trying to breed for certain characteristics (military leadership for example) I suspect Faora and Zod would be the two likely first. There was a scientist female though so it's completely possible (if they're breeding for certain skills and traits).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    Reading the novelization I doubt very much Nam-Ek will be doing anything with Faora. Maybe the other one but Faora? If they're trying to breed for certain characteristics (military leadership for example) I suspect Faora and Zod would be the two likely first. There was a scientist female though so it's completely possible (if they're breeding for certain skills and traits).
    Nam-Ek: "That was 'Plan A', now it's time for 'Plan B'. For the glory of Krypton!"

Priorities have a way of changing in life, maybe before they could afford to be hyper selective, but now? It's all a moot point if the species doesn't survive in the first place.

BANNED

Yeah, you can't repopulate a species like that if you're already down to an insanely low number, there's not enough diversity in the gene pool and before long you stumble into inbreeding.

(and even ignoring that stuff about natural births)
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 07-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Yeah, you can't repopulate a species like that just if you're already down to an insanely low number, there's not enough diversity in the gene pool and before long you stumble into inbreeding.

Yeah, plus, assuming it works like humans, it will take forever to get anywhere. One (two?) woman with a 9 month long pregnancy, with a ratio of one baby per birth.....Yeah, the rebirth of Krypton isn't for now, even assuming Faora turns into a birthing machine without complications. Complications Kryptonians will have a hard time dealing with since natural birth has been banned in their society for hundreds of years.
    The only way to make the natural birth thing work is if they find a native species that is compatible. Like possibly humans (and that's not even certain).
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

This just brings another question, are kryptonian compatible with humans in this universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    This just brings another question, are kryptonian compatible with humans in this universe?
    I doubt it, but we really don't have any way to tell.
    Still, since the movie is trying to be at least "semi realistic", it would make more sense if that wasn't the case.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Yeah, you can't repopulate a species like that if you're already down to an insanely low number, there's not enough diversity in the gene pool and before long you stumble into inbreeding.
    Well, Kryptonians are genetically perfect, right? There might not be any issues for them, at least for a good long while. But then again...

Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Yeah, plus, assuming it works like humans, it will take forever to get anywhere. One (two?) woman with a 9 month long pregnancy, with a ratio of one baby per birth.....Yeah, the rebirth of Krypton isn't for now, even assuming Faora turns into a birthing machine without complications. Complications Kryptonians will have a hard time dealing with since natural birth has been banned in their society for hundreds of years.
    The only way to make the natural birth thing work is if they find a native species that is compatible. Like possibly humans (and that's not even certain).
    Guys.

You're acting like there's some plethora of options at their disposal, in this situation what's the alternative? All of the humans are dead. Superman is dead and the codex is destroyed.

So it's natural reproduction or no reproduction at all, they may as well take their chances with kryptonian biology being able to overcome/ignore the negative aspects of inbreeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Guys.

You're acting like there's some plethora of options at their disposal, in this situation what's the alternative? All of the humans are dead. Superman is dead and the codex is destroyed.

So it's natural reproduction or no reproduction at all, they may as well take their chances with kryptonian biology being able to overcome/ignore the negative aspects of inbreeding.
    Then, they're already doomed. Plain and simple.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

You need 160 humans to create a viable population with enough genetic diversity to thrive for 200 years before genetic problems become an issue. Hopefully by the time you are nearing the 200 year mark, you produce a few children who can be trained to screen out bad genes or artificially create more diversity.