Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    Then, they're already doomed. Plain and simple.
    Doing nothing is dooming themselves for sure, at least natural reproduction can offer a chance at survival via Kryptonian biology.

Because "superhuman strength, speed, durability, senses, flight and heat-vision under a yellow star" is a more radical departure from human biology than "immunity/resistance to the negative affects of inbreeding".

They've got nothing to lose, so they may as well go for broke.
    Last edited by Lax; 07-28-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Doing nothing is dooming themselves for sure, at least natural reproduction can offer a chance at survival via Kryptonian biology.

Because "superhuman strength, speed, durability, senses, flight and heat-vision under a yellow star" is a more radical departure from human biology than "immunity/resistance to the negative affects of inbreeding".
    Except I never said anything about inbreeding.
    But recreating a new Kryptonian race with one woman, with a ratio of one child every nine month? Do you even have an idea of how many years it would take to reach a substainable number? That's just not a solution. This isn't Noah here. It takes more than one couple to restart a race, as many years of trying to make endangered species to reach an acceptable number through "biological means" taught us.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Except I never said anything about inbreeding.
    But recreating a new Kryptonian race with one woman, with a ratio of one child every nine month? Do you even have an idea of how many years it would take to reach a sustainable number? That's just not a solution. This isn't Noah here. It takes more than one couple to restart a race, as many years of trying to make endangered species to reach an acceptable number through "biological means" taught us.

So?

I mean, they're not in a rush, it's not like they've got better things to do, they're not going anywhere, there's no time limit for something like this.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I mean, they're not in a rush, it's not like they've got better things to do, they're not going anywhere, there's no time limit for something like this.
    And Bear in mind that we don't know how Kryptonians age in this version. In comics, we've often seen Superman age to mid-thirties and basically stop. If that happened here, the few remaining females could have centuries to have children, as would their children.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

So?

Do I really have to explain to you the obvious flaws of a plan that will take 90+ years to work with only one woman to work with? And that's assuming Faora doesn't die of childbirth in the middle of it because natural birth is a concept Kryptonians are completely unaware of. After all, they succeded and turned Earth into New Krypton, right? That means they don't have powers anymore. So your plan is to have one woman get pregnancies after pregnancies -something that is incredibly dangerous for the woman- with for only help a bunch of dudes who never even saw a pregnant woman in their lives. Do you have any idea what the mortality rate for pregnant women was before we learned to deal with it? If they apply your plan, Faora is basically already dead, and any hope of continuing this natural birth plan dies with it.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

with a ratio of one child every nine month?
    We don't know Kryptonians take nine months before birth.

BANNED

Do I really have to explain to you the obvious flaws of a plan that will take 90+ years to work with only one woman to work with?
    You're missing my point.

I'm not saying the plan is flawless, I'm saying it's the best and only option they have left. So it makes more sense to try than to spend the next few decades sitting around doing nothing but waiting for a dead end that doesn't necessarily have to be.

And that's assuming Faora doesn't die of childbirth in the middle of it because natural birth is a concept Kryptonians are completely unaware of. After all, they succeded and turned Earth into New Krypton, right? That means they don't have powers anymore. So your plan is to have one woman get pregnancies after pregnancies -something that is incredibly dangerous for the woman- with for only help a bunch of dudes who never even saw a pregnant woman in their lives. Do you have any idea what the mortality rate for pregnant women was before we learned to deal with it? If they apply your plan, Faora is basically already dead, and any hope of continuing this natural birth plan dies with it.
    I'm guessing it was far less than 100%? Because that's ultimately the mortality rate should they fail to reproduce within their generation.

If all of our modern medicine were somehow destroyed, would we really say "Women could potentially die during childbirth, can't risk it, so why don't we all just die out instead?".

Besides, they could try taking Faora to the moon and letting the solar rays give her the powers back.
    Last edited by Lax; 07-28-2014 at 03:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCCoolness View Post
    Let's say the movie General Zod succeeded in turning earth into Krypton(all humans are dead), but the codecs and Superman gets vaporized somehow. It's forever lost to him. Zod has a few women on his team. The females also have the same goal of repopulating. Why not have them birth babies? I don't think they would to mind since they all care about this one goal. I know it would be natural birth, but Zod could brainwash the children to be anything he wants.

Did he have one woman on his team? I can't seem to remember.
    You don't remember Faora?Wow. And I think there were more than just two female kryptonians left so yeah. Even though I think they had a strong aversion to natural child birth and possibly sex.

I think I lot of you guys are also forgetting something when it comes to "rejuvenating" and those powers. The amount of women's eggs (in a human, don't know about a Kryptonian but I'm going with the same assumption for this argument) is finite. When a woman runs out of eggs (one to-rarely- two a cycle) then they go into menopause. They can't have children after that. So there were two maybe three women in Zod's army of about

On the question of women in Zod's force... there's Car-Vex and Ro-Zar besides Faora so you'd be able to make maybe three every year to two years (if you wanted to give them time to recuperate) assuming no miscarriages.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You don't remember Faora?Wow. And I think there were more than just two female kryptonians left so yeah. Even though I think they had a strong aversion to natural child birth and possibly sex.

And for you guys that aren't thinking he'd pick and choose who would get to mate with who I have this quote from the novelization:

We can start anew. We can sever the degenerative bloodlines that led us to this state.
    Zod believes in eugenics and if you were to follow it out to it's logical conclusion then it would require him to make the decisions, not the individuals. The idea that seemed to divide Zod and Jor-El was the different between "making your own destiny" and "you are destined for something specific."
    Last edited by UltraWoman; 07-28-2014 at 07:07 AM.