Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member Castiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    346

    Default Can anyone "worthy" be Green Lantern?

    I'm binge watching cartoons today and I'm watching the episode of Duck Dodgers where his laundry or whatever gets mixed up and he becomes a Green Lantern I'm curious could this really happen in the comics? I mean what if a absolute moron really got the ring and accidentally became a green lantern could that happen in the comics?

  2. #2
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Depends on who is writing. As with most things in superhero comics, these concepts are wildly inconsistent.

  3. #3
    Uncanny King-Kamalu lemonpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    the internet
    Posts
    1,635

    Default

    Like Bored said, it's pretty inconsistent but if we're following the rules and limits we've seen; No, not anyone be a Green Lantern because not everyone can use a Green Lantern ring. It's supposed to take enormous willpower to wield a Green Lantern power ring


    SIGNAL/Duke Thomas is the Midnight Sun of Gotham (respect thread)
    John Stewart is my Lantern.
    Naomi was great, pass it on...
    DC: Batman and the Outsiders, Justice League, Teen Titans, Deathstroke, The Flash, Justice League Odyssey, Doomsday Clock
    Marvel: Immortal Hulk, Miles Morales: Spiderman, Black Panther, Ironheart, Cosmic Ghost Rider etc., Venom, Moon Girl, Avengers
    Anticipated titles: Far Sector, Love Army*, The Other History of DC*

  4. #4
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,522

    Default

    I mean, a lot of people probably have willpower and the ability to overcome fear, especially in the DC Universe, but I imagine there's something in whatever system the ring uses that is able to judge if someone is more worthy of wielding a ring or not.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,977

    Default

    It used to be that ANYONE could use the ring if they got it. Green Lantern Rebirth changed that down the line to make it really mean something to be a GL.

  6. #6
    Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your mum's place
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    I liked the idea in Rebirth that nobody could just pick up a GL ring and start using it.
    You had to be able to overcome great fear AND have an iron will to make it work.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member liwanag's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I'm binge watching cartoons today and I'm watching the episode of Duck Dodgers where his laundry or whatever gets mixed up and he becomes a Green Lantern I'm curious could this really happen in the comics? I mean what if a absolute moron really got the ring and accidentally became a green lantern could that happen in the comics?

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I liked the idea in Rebirth that nobody could just pick up a GL ring and start using it.
    You had to be able to overcome great fear AND have an iron will to make it work.
    I agree. It's like anyone can get behind the wheel and step on the gas of a racecar, but most people would just slam into the wall or flip over. It should require willpower and training to use it properly, if at all. Conversely, I appreciate that it's not just coded to the assigned bearer's DNA or something because then it'd be too easy an excuse for why nobody else can use it. As a plot device, the fact that there's a test of "worthiness" makes it more interesting to me.

  9. #9
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,213

    Default

    No, it takes enormous willpower and the ability to overcome IMMENSE fear.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  10. #10
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Originally you just had to be fearless. That didn't mean that a person who got the ring was a good person. For example, there's G'Nort. There was one GL story that was really funny where this GL spends the whole time trying to defeat a combine and the only way he could beat it was to throw his ring into it. It jammed the machine and he saved the day.

    One of the more interesting aspects of the Corp that doesn't seem to have been touched on in years was the idea that the members had different motivations for joining the GLC. So you had people ranging from everyday types to violent criminals to drifters in an organization where they were supposed to serve the higher purpose of the Guardians. I think it was in either Emerald Dawn I or II were Tomar Re hints that he was in the GLC because he was in trouble on his home planet.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Güicho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Originally you just had to be fearless.

    Actually originaly it was two tests, fearless and honest.
    It was the combination that the ring recognized and what fueled it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Originally you just had to be fearless. That didn't mean that a person who got the ring was a good person. For example, there's G'Nort.
    Yeah G'nort wasn't an original GL, he came almost 30 years after the fact.
    The Original Corps were not really like him.


    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    One of the more interesting aspects of the Corp that doesn't seem to have been touched on in years was the idea that the members had different motivations for joining the GLC. So you had people ranging from everyday types to violent criminals to drifters in an organization where they were supposed to serve the higher purpose of the Guardians. I think it was in either Emerald Dawn I or II were Tomar Re hints that he was in the GLC because he was in trouble on his home planet.
    That didn't start with Emerald Dawn
    The original Corps were always different types, not just physically, but in their identities, Abin Sur was a teacher, Tomar Re a scientist, Katma Tui was pretty much focused on love struck, yet the ring recognized in her the potential. And a ruse by Jordan revealed her true will to be in the Corps.
    Further Arkkis Chummuck killed (and ate) the Green Lantern from who he then inherited the ring. Yes it chose him, recognized him as having the traits.
    All these predate Emerald Dawn.

    Anyway, your point and i agree, was yes anyone can have those traits, you don't have to be a test pilot, honesty and fearlessness can manifests in many forms, and many identities, be it a teacher, a scientist, an architect or a test pilot, etc. You can express those traits to any career you chose.
    This was part of the original Corps.

    That said, the ring will only choose those in who it recognized those traits most strongly.
    So no, as others suggest no, not anyone, only a few have the fearless honest will power necessary.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-29-2018 at 04:34 PM.

  12. #12
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Yeah G'nort wasn't an original GL, he came almost 30 years after the fact.
    The Original Corps were not like him.
    He was a part of the original 3600 strong Corps though. I mean they had worse members than G'Nort like Sinestro, Jack T. Chance, or Laira's father. Even Guy was allowed to be a conditional member after he was forced out of his coma and still dealing with head trauma.

    Then again, it was revealed later on that G'nort got his ring from his uncle and he was a part of a phony corp meant to discredit the GLC but that looked like a retcon.

  13. #13
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Originally you just had to be fearless. That didn't mean that a person who got the ring was a good person. For example, there's G'Nort. There was one GL story that was really funny where this GL spends the whole time trying to defeat a combine and the only way he could beat it was to throw his ring into it. It jammed the machine and he saved the day.
    I swear the Brave and the Bold cartoon referenced that exact scene .

  14. #14
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I swear the Brave and the Bold cartoon referenced that exact scene .
    Wait which episode was that? I might have to check it out. I liked what little I got to see of Brave and the Bold.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I agree. It's like anyone can get behind the wheel and step on the gas of a racecar, but most people would just slam into the wall or flip over. It should require willpower and training to use it properly, if at all. Conversely, I appreciate that it's not just coded to the assigned bearer's DNA or something because then it'd be too easy an excuse for why nobody else can use it. As a plot device, the fact that there's a test of "worthiness" makes it more interesting to me.
    I think how you are describing is better than actually use of the rings in Green Lantern. How you describe it anybody can use ring,just like anyone can drive a car even( a Nascar or indy car). Despite the fact most people can drive only small number are good enough to be Nascar drivers and even smaller number are great at it and when you add the inherent treat of death also to mix adds another layer on top. When it is describe like that it explains why Batman and bunch of other DC heroes or recent can use the rings to some small effect,You aren't going to be shocked if someone can drive a indycar around a track. Now someone getting in and driving 200 mph is amazing

    I have always found willpower to be pretty subjective,I would rather creativity/imagination was the bigger push in being amazing with the ring. A parent looking out for kid in danger is going to show amazing willpower and ability to overcome fear. Most people stepping to be a hero would have pretty high willpower and ability to over come fear that is the job. Creativity and Imagination on the other hand is more clear creating a boxing glove or fully functioning gun are wide gaps in creativity/imagination. I can see Batman picking up the ring and creating swords,rope and shields and John Stewart creating gattling guns,giant mechas and vehicles.But I get how willpower/fearlessness can be romanticize well in stories about heroism.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 11-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •