Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired

You have to meet the qualifications, in other words you have to be worthy. So, yes, anyone worthy can be a Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Wait which episode was that? I might have to check it out. I liked what little I got to see of Brave and the Bold.
    I think it was "The Eyes of Despero," where Batman teamed up with Guy, a pre-evil Sinestro, and G'Nort to fight Despero.

I'm the opposite. I much prefer the days when ANYONE could use it. It made for better story telling when something happened and suddenly your opponent had 'the most dangerous weapon in the universe' pointed back at you.

And yeah, just because anyone can use it... doesn't mean they could use it WELL. Like some said earlier... Anyone can get behind the wheel of a race car. They won't WIN. They won't drive with skill and be a real contender... but that engine is still going to turn over regardless of who turns the key.

Now there's also a difference between wearing a power ring... and being WORTHY of being a Green Lantern. Honest, Fearless, those were the conditions to be considered worthy. If you didn't match those qualities, then someone was going to come and take that ring back... but yeah, until then you were a VERY dangerous person....

I mean... who HASN'T been able to spark up the ring? When they hit Green Arrow with that bit there, I think he's the first one I ever saw who COULDN'T use it. Also it was KIND of a jerk move for Hal to have left him that spare ring in the truck right? He should have left it with Superman or Batman or something... Retcons working against Retcons....

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Actually originaly it was two tests, fearless and honest.
    It was the combination that the ring recognized and what fueled it.
    I'm not so sure about that. Abin Sur had the ring search out those were fearless, and that seems to be all it was necessary to use it. His honesty test seemed to be more about ensuring they didn't mistakenly give the ring to somebody like Sinestro.

Better scan Showcase #22 ...

And revisited again GL v2 #1

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Abin Sur had the ring search out those were fearless, and that seems to be all it was necessary to use it. His honesty test seemed to be more about ensuring they didn't mistakenly give the ring to somebody like Sinestro.
    What you describe is two tests, as far as it being there originally what exactly aren't you sure about?
    It was clearly worded that way.
    (if you want something like Sinestro's betrayal would absolutely be a logical retroactively explained reason for it)

Sinestro was soon introed in GL#7 pretty much justifying exactly that.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-29-2018 at 06:30 PM.

Not even that. He had the battery and ring search out someone who was 'deserving' of the power, not 'able to use it'. He was particular about who he was going to put the ring on, but it wasn't about any particular skill set needed to make the ring work.

He does say that Honest is part of the test that Hal had pass... but compared to the some of the other GL's that have gotten rings... I'm pretty convinced that was Abin Sur's requirement not specifically the corps themselves :P

Boisterously Confused

Better scan Showcase #22 ...

And revisited again GL v2 #1

What you describe is two tests, as far as it being there originally what exactly aren't you sure about?
    It was clearly worded that way.
    (if you want something like Sinestro's betrayal would absolutely be a logical retroactively explained reason for it)

Sinestro was soon introed in GL#7 pretty much justifying exactly that.
    The OP's question can be interpreted as "become a member of The Corps" or as "operate The Gizmo". If you're looking at the question as the former, you are absolutely right. If the latter, "fearless" is the qualification, and "honest" is merely a security check.

...If you're looking at the question as the former, ......
    I was replying to a specific claim here:

Originally you just had to be fearless.
    Please read my post and what I was specifically replying to - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4051185

As far as how later writers have interpreted it, yes that's a different question.
    Of course they have ignored and reinterpreted the originall honest and fearless, that's obvious. Nobody references the honest part any more.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-29-2018 at 07:46 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Tangential question: could Deadman operate the ring whilst possessing a Lantern?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

Off topic, but I just want to say that I much prefer the pages scanned from the original comics--rather than the reconstructed art in the ARCHIVES (and I have the ARCHIVES). For all the flaws, the art was pencilled, inked and coloured with an awareness of how it would get printed on the newsprint. For example, they knew the paper would be slightly yellow/brown so the colours were adjusted with that in mind. The inking was done somewhat heavy to accomodate the letterpress printing. When all of that is reconstructed for different paper and different printing, it loses the intended quality of the original comics.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

That didn't start with Emerald Dawn
    The original Corps were always different types, not just physically, but in their identities, Abin Sur was a teacher, Tomar Re a scientist, Katma Tui was pretty much focused on love struck, yet the ring recognized in her the potential. And a ruse by Jordan revealed her true will to be in the Corps.
    Further Arkkis Chummuck killed (and ate) the Green Lantern from who he then inherited the ring. Yes it chose him, recognized him as having the traits.
    All these predate Emerald Dawn.

Anyway, your point and i agree, was yes anyone can have those traits, you don't have to be a test pilot, honesty and fearlessness can manifests in many forms, and many identities, be it a teacher, a scientist, an architect or a test pilot, etc. You can express those traits to any career you chose.
    This was part of the original Corps.

That said, the ring will only choose those in who it recognized those traits most strongly.
    So no, as others suggest no, not anyone, only a few have the fearless honest will power necessary.
    I've read the stories with Katma Tui, Tomar Re, and Abin Sur. What I'm referring to moreso is the idea that some went to the Corps because they didn't fit on their home planet for whatever reason. Even Hal left the Corps for a time and when Carol lost her mind and became Star Sapphire permanently he pretty much went back to the one constant in his life at that point the GLC.

I mean there's only one Superman and there's only one Batman. Most superheroes at Marvel and DC have a particular type and look. Green Lantern was one of the few series (maybe X-Men as well) where so long as you had the willpower and you had no fear, you too could be a hero. So you had all sorts of beings ranging from humanoids to virii to even a living math equation as GLs. Then you have all these different kinds of beings with different views on morality, ethics, even the nature of life itself working together. Maybe there's other series like that but I've yet to encounter them. That's what caught my attention when I started looking into Green Lantern as a teenager.

I've read the stories with Katma Tui, Tomar Re, and Abin Sur. What I'm referring to moreso is the idea that some went to the Corps because they didn't fit on their home planet for whatever reason. Even Hal left the Corps for a time and when Carol lost her mind and became Star Sapphire permanently he pretty much went back to the one constant in his life at that point the GLC.

I mean there's only one Superman and there's only one Batman. Most superheroes at Marvel and DC have a particular type and look. Green Lantern was one of the few series (maybe X-Men as well) where so long as you had the willpower and you had no fear, you too could be a hero. So you had all sorts of beings ranging from humanoids to virii to even a living math equation as GLs. Then you have all these different kinds of beings with different views on morality, ethics, even the nature of life itself working together. Maybe there's other series like that but I've yet to encounter them. That's what caught my attention when I started looking into Green Lantern as a teenager.
    I agree, was just pointing out that definitely predates Emerald Dawn.

Boisterously Confused

You made me think to the point of a headache, but I'm pretty sure you're right. Aside from the !mpact era Black Hood, Silver Age-On Green Lantern is the only superhero who's interchangeable. Names are mobile, but the whole franchise? I think that's unique.

(patiently waiting to be proven ill-informed)

I agree, was just pointing out that definitely predates Emerald Dawn.
    But it being said explicitly? Don't think that was the case till Emerald Dawn.

You made me think to the point of a headache, but I'm pretty sure you're right. Aside from the !mpact era Black Hood, Silver Age-On Green Lantern is the only superhero who's interchangeable. Names are mobile, but the whole franchise? I think that's unique.

(patiently waiting to be proven ill-informed)
    I don't see the Green Lanterns as interchangable. It's moreso that there's one title but the lead of the story can be very different.