Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Can anyone "worthy" be Green Lantern?

I'm binge watching cartoons today and I'm watching the episode of Duck Dodgers where his laundry or whatever gets mixed up and he becomes a Green Lantern I'm curious could this really happen in the comics? I mean what if a absolute moron really got the ring and accidentally became a green lantern could that happen in the comics?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Depends on who is writing. As with most things in superhero comics, these concepts are wildly inconsistent.

Like Bored said, it's pretty inconsistent but if we're following the rules and limits we've seen; No, not anyone be a Green Lantern because not everyone can use a Green Lantern ring. It's supposed to take enormous willpower to wield a Green Lantern power ring

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I mean, a lot of people probably have willpower and the ability to overcome fear, especially in the DC Universe, but I imagine there's something in whatever system the ring uses that is able to judge if someone is more worthy of wielding a ring or not.

Astonishing Member

It used to be that ANYONE could use the ring if they got it. Green Lantern Rebirth changed that down the line to make it really mean something to be a GL.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I liked the idea in Rebirth that nobody could just pick up a GL ring and start using it.
    You had to be able to overcome great fear AND have an iron will to make it work.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    I'm binge watching cartoons today and I'm watching the episode of Duck Dodgers where his laundry or whatever gets mixed up and he becomes a Green Lantern I'm curious could this really happen in the comics? I mean what if a absolute moron really got the ring and accidentally became a green lantern could that happen in the comics?