Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raimi revival?

Default Raimi revival?

Both the upcoming Spider-verse-based on the new trailer-and the current Spider-Man game seem heavily inspired by the Raimi films, it seems like there's been a bit of a revival of nostalgia for the initial film series. Any thoughts on this?

Although of course both are heavily influenced by Brand New Day(Mr.Negative's whole thing in the game, Peter the scientist instead of Peter the Daily Bugle photographer) and Spider-Verse (naturally) but there's certainly a lot of Raimi influence; the upside-down kiss, train, car interrupting lunch in SV's previews, and the soundtrack and Doctor octopus used to be a good guy/mentor of Spider-Man sort of inspired by II.

(There's also a few easter eggs tied to the Spider-Man 2 video game as well, most notably pizza time).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I wouldn't read a lot into it. It's like how the Arkham games drew as much from Batman: The Animate Series as it did the comics.

PS4 Spider-man is pretty much an amalgalm of the 616, Ultimate, Raimi and Amazing films.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Can't say it didn't cross my mind. Two references to the famous train scene in two major Spider-Man outings. It's great to see, and I'd be glad to see more to come. Those Raimi Spider-Man films will always hold a special place in my heart and imagination.

The Raimi Spider-Man movies are like the Donner Superman movie. They have informed - and will inform - much of the versions that follow.

(Raimi's Spider-Man didn't make a permanent change in the comics like Donner did with locating Smallville in Kansas, but otherwise . . . )

BANNED

Ι would love to see a comic adaptation of what it would have been Spider-Man 4.

The Raimi movies, at least the first two, are just part of the canon now.

Like whenever Batman says "I'm Batman" in comics or anywhere else, it's not necessarily a reference to Batman 89, it's just drawing from the larger Batman canon that the movie contributed to.

The Raimi films will always be iconic but I don't ever think they will ever be continued or ever needs to be continued. They have a legacy all their own and much like any popular version of any character people will take inspiration from them.

I'm not sure I understand the question, like the Raimi trilogy was completed back in 2007 so a revival wouldn't work/make sense.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

BANNED

There are claims that the Peter Parker which will appear in the Into The Spider-Verse will be Maguire's version.
    https://www.cbr.com/into-the-spider-...re-spider-man/

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    There are claims that the Peter Parker which will appear in the Into The Spider-Verse will be Maguire's version.
    https://www.cbr.com/into-the-spider-...re-spider-man/
    It's not. (And you know it isn't because Peter meets Spider-Gwen and isn't going to say he dated his world's version of her to make MJ jealous.)

These are Easter eggs that reference the Raimi films to help the audience quickly get caught up on Peter.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-02-2018 at 05:31 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's not. (And you know it isn't because Peter meets Spider-Gwen and isn't going to say he dated his world's version of her to make MJ jealous.)

These are Easter eggs that reference the Raimi films to help the audience quickly get caught up on Peter.
    Wait, I don't follow how that means this version of Peter isn't Tobey, though? Why would he bring that up?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I would say those scenes are just paying homage to those moments rather than this being some sort of revival.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Wait, I don't follow how that means this version of Peter isn't Tobey, though? Why would he bring that up?
    If Peter's reaction to Spider-Gwen is something like "I don't know you at all" or "You died on my world," that means he isn't the Raimi Spider-Man in any way, shape, or form.

(Of course he isn't the Raimi Spider-Man at all anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I would say those scenes are just paying homage to those moments rather than this being some sort of revival.
    Plus they are well known scenes, even to the general public.

It is just a "hey remember this! NOSTALGIA!" thing
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It would have been really cool if they had gotten Toby Macguire to voice Peter in the new Spider-Verse film.

Also, I rewatched Spider-Man 2 the other night and it still holds up so well. To this day it is still my favorite Marvel film. I started reading about Spider-Man 3 and how (surprise) the studio execs interfered quite a bit, it’s a shame that Raimi couldn’t end the trilogy how he wanted to.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!