Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Someone suggested "Crimson Cardinal" and I liked that a lot too. Red Knight is solid, though a little.....I dunno, formal?.....for how I see Tim. But it's still one of the best suggestions I've seen for him.

Its kinda funny; we all want Tim to find a new codename of his own instead of stealing another one from somebody but that's exactly what Dick and Jason did. lol
    Crimson Cardinal might be my favorite yet. It sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Its kinda funny; we all want Tim to find a new codename of his own instead of stealing another one from somebody but that's exactly what Dick and Jason did. lol
    No, we don't all want Tim to find a new codename. I'm perfectly fine with him being Robin or even Red Robin (who didn't fail because of the fans, BTW; that was Lobdell's doing when he had Tim regressed in the N52 reboot, and retconned his origin so that “Red Robin” became the only codename he ever had, thus depriving Red Robin of everything that qualified as “graduating”), or even going without a costume and codename. If he must have a codename, he has as much right to Robin as Damian has; and if we can have a half-dozen Green Lanterns, we can have two or more Robins. And to the extent that codenames matter, any codename other than Robin will have the problem of not being as iconic as Robin is. Unless he becomes the new Question, or otherwise borrows an iconic codename from someone else.

My point is that the name is far from the most important consideration here. Far more important to Tim's direction is what he's supposed to do. Get that wrong, and good costume and codename don't matter; get it right, and any halfway decent costume and codename (or even possibly the lack of such) could work.

That's why my first post to this thread was suggesting (*gasp!*) a direction for Tim, in the form of a story arc and a new status quo, and my second post was to mock the obsession everyone seems to have with coming up with a new codename for him.
    Last edited by Dataweaver; 12-16-2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    No, we don't all want Tim to find a new codename.
    Dude. Im generalizing, obviously. ??

That wasn't even the point of the post. ?

My point is that the name is far from the most important consideration here.
    I dont think anyone said otherwise.

That's why my first post to this thread was suggesting (*gasp!*) a direction for Tim, in the form of a story arc and a new status quo,
    Which we've all also been discussing.

and my second post was to mock the obsession everyone seems to have with coming up with a new codename for him.
    So discuss a possible new direction for the character, but not this particular part of a new direction?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ever since I started participating, it's been nothing but a back-and-forth about the codename.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

We've definitely tossed the name around a lot, and it's been a running thing, but we've talked about all manner of elements, from making Tim a private detective to (I think) making him a cosmic being. >shrug<
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Ever since I started participating, it's been nothing but a back-and-forth about the codename.
    If it makes you feel any better, Tim's codename is bothering the rest of us too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    Tell me dietrich, who hurt you?

Way to take a shot at the fans
    Noting something I observed on this and other forums isn't taking a shot. If fans are so delicate they can't handle opinions online maybe they should away from forums like this.

Now behave yourself and try not to make this personal mkay?
    Last edited by dietrich; 12-17-2018 at 01:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Nightwing took the name Renegade when he 'pretended' to become a villain (but fooled nobody).

Renegade begins with a R...and it was previously used by Grayson. That's all it has going for it as a name for Tim.

For fun, Tim could also reverse his colors: red to green and vice versa. Maybe a reversed R also. It would fit with the name Renegade. Renegade: the Reversed Robin.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 12-21-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I believe Gotham Knights is the sports team for Gotham City. So, yeah, it does sound like a sports team.

And I agree about red. Enough red in Gotham now.

Besides, I thought Tim's color was yellow...per Batman's color wheel.
    Yellow's taken by Duke.

Does anyone have that Snyder color wheel from All-Star Batman? He assigned different colors to all Batfam members. What's Tim's color there?

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    Crimson Cardinal might be my favorite yet. It sounds fun.
    I know you guys mean the bird but I automatically imagine the Vatican, especially since they also wear red.
    Heh. Father Todd and Cardinal Drake. ^^

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yellow's taken by Duke.

Does anyone have that Snyder color wheel from All-Star Batman? He assigned different colors to all Batfam members. What's Tim's color there?
    I thought it was yellow.

So, one thing that got mentioned (I think) but not really discussed is Tim becoming a villain.

I know that's a hard sell for his fans....but it *is* a direction.

We've seen several versions of future Tim that went evil, from Batman Beyond (not his fault) to that recent Titans/Detective story.

And if DC is going to keep Tim stuck in the hyper genius mold (I hope Bendis doesnt!) then Tim becomes a great way to do "evil Batman" without having to use Batman. Sure, we've got the Batman Who Laughs but it seems to me that he's got the same kind of limited shelf life that Superboy Prime had; too powerful and capable to be anything other than a major, Crisis-level problem who fans will get sick of real fast when he starts being overexposed (if that hasn't already started). Tim might be a viable choice long-term.

Jason worked really well as the "Robin who failed/was failed" and I wish DC would bring him back to those early days where he was DC's Punisher, but also took a shot at Bruce whenever he had a chance. Tim's a poor replacement for that niche but in a way the betrayal would cut even deeper, since Tim was successful as Robin and Bruce didn't really screw it all up like he did with Jason and Dick.

I'm not saying its something I'd want to see, I'm just saying it'd be a direction and it'd definitely bring Tim into some new territory.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

We already saw him as a villain several times. Could work, its one of the most memorable modern titan stories. Tho it really cant happen until he becomes an adult.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Yeah, definitely Nah, I already made a joke about Future Tim Ruined Everything from that last story arc, and the present Tim's obsession with Timtopia that leads to that future, but I feel like I was walking on thin ice. ^^

BANNED

I thought there was nothing left for Tim to ruin, the reason he became a totalitarian was because he was trying to fix the world the only way he thought it could be fixed.

BANNED

Alright, how about this.

Last name being Drake, background in wizards and warlocks (pen and paper boardgames). You can easily create more connections if you try.

He becomes either Dragon (which already exists) or Drake, a vigilante inspired in the animal of legend.

A creature that hides in its cave, that has a territory. An intelligent, cunning and resourceful creature. Its present in basially all cultures around the world, so there would be an unending amount of folklore about the it.

Imagine Tim having his own place, trying to control everything that happens in the area via surveilance tech and surgical intervention. Planning ahead and fighting crime using it. Maybe hoarding and using technology he gets from the badguys, adapting it, hes fairly good at that.