Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Justice League Odyssey #3 preview

https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co...gue-odyssey-3/

Justice League Odyssey #3 hits your local comic book store on November 28, but thanks to DC Comics, Monkeys Fighting Robots has an exclusive five-page preview for you.

About the issue:
    Another day, another planet…another alien race trying to sacrifice you! Life on the final frontier of the universe heats up for Cyborg, Starfire, Azrael, and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz as the team continues their search for the elusive Darkseid and their own connection to the ancient prophecy linking each new planet they explore. But the more the heroes delve into the legends of the Ghost Sector, the more they discover that Darkseid might not be the most dangerous threat to their new home!

Justice League Odyssey #3 is written by Joshua Williamson, with art by Philippe Briones, Jeromy Cox worked on colors, with letters by Deron Bennet. The main cover is by Stjepan Sejic, with the variant cover by Rachel Dodson and Terry Dodson.

spaceship looks good, the color highlight changes from the first page.

They should have kept the Walker design. It was simple enough so artists wouldn't have inconsistencies and draw Cyborg differently every time.

I hope Williamson can give us a decent story reason for Azrael fitting on this book. Other than a Bat character to boost sales. JPV's origin is going to change to some interstellar character or something.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

This has been the weakest of the JL books but let's see if it can turn it around

it's still way more interesting than Snyder's Justice League that went off the rails a few issues back
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

Must be a new meaning to interesting. This book is all types at mediocre at the moment, I mean you can even look at the respective reviews for each series and compare.

And going of the rails for a JL book is a good fucking thing.
    Last edited by ross61; 11-27-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    it's still way more interesting than Snyder's Justice League that went off the rails a few issues back
    Absolutely!

I can't read the JL book anymore. Odyssey is the only League I'll read. It's nice to have a story where it's not blatantly obvious how it plays out. I like having uncharted territory in-story as well as in general.

New team mix. New storyline. I'll take that all day over the same old "big seven" fluff.

Fantastic Member

So the actual quality of the book doesn’t matter huh?

Totally agreed! Snyder’s Justice League is a jumbled mess. He’s just spewing concepts and ideas out there with no coherent direction. I dropped the book because I lost interest in the “Totality” and doorknobs.

So are they going to keep acting like Starfire and Cyborg have this previously unseen history and close friendship or are they just going to confirm Vic was a former member of the Teen Titans already?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So are they going to keep acting like Starfire and Cyborg have this previously unseen history and close friendship or are they just going to confirm Vic was a former member of the Teen Titans already?
    I have little to no faith with DC's continuity anymore. In my own mind I'm just saying he was and they are friends. It is less confusing that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Must be a new meaning to interesting. This book is all types at mediocre at the moment, I mean you can even look at the respective reviews for each series and compare.

And going of the rails for a JL book is a good fucking thing.
    I just prefer my Justice League books to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Absolutely!

I can't read the JL book anymore. Odyssey is the only League I'll read. It's nice to have a story where it's not blatantly obvious how it plays out. I like having uncharted territory in-story as well as in general.

New team mix. New storyline. I'll take that all day over the same old "big seven" fluff.
    freshness is certainly a factor, I always applaud that, but Snyder is just trying to do too much, he's got at least 3 stories going on at once (sometimes more) and he's not reeling it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Totally agreed! Snyder’s Justice League is a jumbled mess. He’s just spewing concepts and ideas out there with no coherent direction. I dropped the book because I lost interest in the “Totality” and doorknobs.
    Couldn't have said it better. It's really a shame because that tile started out pretty strongly and now I've even got to put the Avengers book above it (and I was really not a fan of that first Avengers arc)
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

https://www.monkeysfightingrobots.co...gue-odyssey-3/

Justice League Odyssey #3 hits your local comic book store on November 28, but thanks to DC Comics, Monkeys Fighting Robots has an exclusive five-page preview for you.

About the issue:
    Another day, another planet…another alien race trying to sacrifice you! Life on the final frontier of the universe heats up for Cyborg, Starfire, Azrael, and Green Lantern Jessica Cruz as the team continues their search for the elusive Darkseid and their own connection to the ancient prophecy linking each new planet they explore. But the more the heroes delve into the legends of the Ghost Sector, the more they discover that Darkseid might not be the most dangerous threat to their new home!

Justice League Odyssey #3 is written by Joshua Williamson, with art by Philippe Briones, Jeromy Cox worked on colors, with letters by Deron Bennet. The main cover is by Stjepan Sejic, with the variant cover by Rachel Dodson and Terry Dodson.

spaceship looks good, the color highlight changes from the first page.

They should have kept the Walker design. It was simple enough so artists wouldn't have inconsistencies and draw Cyborg differently every time.

I hope Williamson can give us a decent story reason for Azrael fitting on this book. Other than a Bat character to boost sales. JPV's origin is going to change to some interstellar character or something.
    Disagree, Reis design is definitely nice but Sejic definitely took Cyborg's appearance to the most modern it has appeared (Reis is a good second.) I definitely like this artist more than the new artist that is coming, but they both have the tendency to make Cyborg look antiquated and like an old buick. You can tell the artist is trying to revert the design to the classic appearance while keep some liberties of the greatness sejic did. Sadly it just looks like meh.

They should just stick with Sejic design but the you know how the status quo is calling.

Story wise I'm still interested in the book, and I like the closeness Starfire and Cyborg has WITHOUT having to deal with titan baggage.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Agreed, I'm still picking up the book but it's definitely a pale second for me in comparison to JSO. Cyborg had a couple of moments but has been mostly MIA in the book, as the book was clearly an attempt to bring back a "Classic JLA" while taking them into new concepts which is entirely boring to me. So the actual "quality" of the book to me has been subpar.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Story wise I'm still interested in the book, and I like the closeness Starfire and Cyborg has WITHOUT having to deal with titan baggage.
    I don't really get them acting so close without the Titans' baggage since it kind of relies on you assuming their Titans history is somehow still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Disagree, Reis design is definitely nice but Sejic definitely took Cyborg's appearance to the most modern it has appeared (Reis is a good second.) I definitely like this artist more than the new artist that is coming, but they both have the tendency to make Cyborg look antiquated and like an old buick. You can tell the artist is trying to revert the design to the classic appearance while keep some liberties of the greatness sejic did. Sadly it just looks like meh.

They should just stick with Sejic design but the you know how the status quo is calling.

I don't see it as being the most modern design. I think it just looked great because Seijec is a great artist. Just like when Ivan Reis did the Jim Lee design, but many other artist DC employs can't draw Victor the same way so they use their own designs. This was documented in the first Cyborg appreciation thread and its been this way since 2011. I'm referring to the design that David Walker came up with and fought for. This is easily translatable to any artist and has other character implications for Victor. Seijec's art looked cool because it was Seijec doing it. There is a scene in the original first issue where Victor gets ripped in half by Despero (which isn't that uncommon for Victor over the past few years unfortunately), but than his upper half kind of tentacles out like a squid and he continues to fight back. That was pretty creative by Williamson highlighting Cyborg's more alien tech origins for a rare occasion.

Cyborg and Starfire have never had any baggage with one another.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

I have little to no faith with DC's continuity anymore. In my own mind I'm just saying he was and they are friends. It is less confusing that way.

I just prefer my Justice League books to be good.

freshness is certainly a factor, I always applaud that, but Snyder is just trying to do too much, he's got at least 3 stories going on at once (sometimes more) and he's not reeling it back in.

Couldn't have said it better. It's really a shame because that tile started out pretty strongly and now I've even got to put the Avengers book above it (and I was really not a fan of that first Avengers arc)
    If you prefer your JL books to be good then why are you hyping Odyssey lol?! Any other place then here will tell you it’s the most mediocre JL book at the moment.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    If you prefer your JL books to be good then why are you hyping Odyssey lol?! Any other place then here will tell you it’s the most mediocre JL book at the moment.
    That's your opinon, which is valid but you aren't speaking for everyone (I'm another one who enjoys ODYSSEY more then JUSTICE LEAGUE). You can't make sweeping statements like everywhere else everywhere else hates it though.