Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hunter View Post
    That's your opinon, which is valid but you aren't speaking for everyone (I'm another one who enjoys ODYSSEY more then JUSTICE LEAGUE). You can't make sweeping statements like everywhere else everywhere else hates it though.
    Tell me, what do you enjoy about Odyssey. What makes it a good book atm?

Solid issue again.

Art was okay but definetly sad to see Seijec go. Another example why they should have kept the Walker design keeps a consistent design any artist could do, now we are back to artists interpreting the Forever Evil look basically.

Still a lot of mystery around this book which keeps us coming back.

Someone needs to explain to me Azrael's purpose in this book he still feels very much out of place here. Also can he fly now?
    The J-man

BANNED

He's there because Williamson aka the writer wanted him. Thats literally the sole reason how rosters are filled.

I really dug this issue. I love a good mystery.

The best way I could sum up this book so far is "refreshing". I like that they're exploring new world's. We get to see new life-forms. New interactions. All with an intriguing team dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    I really dug this issue. I love a good mystery.

The best way I could sum up this book so far is "refreshing". I like that they're exploring new world's. We get to see new life-forms. New interactions. All with an intriguing team dynamic.
    I'll co-sign that. There are only 3 books right now that DC's got going that are a nice change of pace. This one is certainly number 1 in that regard. I don't think you can stretch the mystery out to far tho. By issue 5 there needs to be a reveal so we know what Darkseid's up to.

The Cyborg, Jessica and Starfire dynamic isn't too bad either. Nice to see these characters interact with one another.
    The J-man

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Someone needs to explain to me Azrael's purpose in this book he still feels very much out of place here. Also can he fly now?

Maybe that is his purpose, to be a foil, the outsider, the guy that is out of his depth and highlights how strange and outlandish these characters and places are. There is also the fact that he is a deeply spiritual and theological character, a fact that might play well into a story about new gods and the strange and violent religions that they spawn. Plus he looks super cool.

I remember his Azbats suit was made by Batwing in this continuity, and since his suit can fly, maybe Azrael can also fly now. But it isn't explicitly stated as far as i know.

Loving the book so far. Nice to see a different team, with natural (Cyborg and Starfire) and strange (Darkseid and Azrael) people in it. Definatly my favorite Justice League book right now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really get them acting so close without the Titans' baggage since it kind of relies on you assuming their Titans history is somehow still intact.

Not really no, it's no different than any other people being close in comics. It's due to the fact that their relationship has been developed post new 52, which is all that really matters. Though part of their closeness does have to do with Kory's personality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I don't see it as being the most modern design. I think it just looked great because Seijec is a great artist. Just like when Ivan Reis did the Jim Lee design, but many other artist DC employs can't draw Victor the same way so they use their own designs. This was documented in the first Cyborg appreciation thread and its been this way since 2011. I'm referring to the design that David Walker came up with and fought for. This is easily translatable to any artist and has other character implications for Victor. Seijec's art looked cool because it was Seijec doing it. There is a scene in the original first issue where Victor gets ripped in half by Despero (which isn't that uncommon for Victor over the past few years unfortunately), but than his upper half kind of tentacles out like a squid and he continues to fight back. That was pretty creative by Williamson highlighting Cyborg's more alien tech origins for a rare occasion.

Cyborg and Starfire have never had any baggage with one another.

Oh I didn't mean baggage in terms of bad feelings towards one another. I'm talking about Starfire and Cyborg being close without having to worry about if the teen titans history returned or not. I'm happy they can be close without having to deal with that stuff.

Astonishing Member

Well the art was a downgrade for sure but the story definitely kept me very interested. It just sucks being spoiled by sejic's design and then having to revert back to this antiquated form. But even with that, I'd still take this artist over the flash artist coming in. But seeing as I was able to handle him on the flash (where his style actually matches very well with the book) I'm hoping I can handle it here.

I actually look forward to Carmine Di Giandomenico's art from what little I've seen of it. Seems to have a bit of style to it.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Not really no, it's no different than any other people being close in comics. It's due to the fact that their relationship has been developed post new 52, which is all that really matters. Though part of their closeness does have to do with Kory's personality.
    But usually those kinds of close relationships have on-screen development or actual history behind them, and prior to this story Kori and Vic have barely said one word to each other in the New 52 continuity.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noan View Post
    Maybe that is his purpose, to be a foil, the outsider, the guy that is out of his depth and highlights how strange and outlandish these characters and places are. There is also the fact that he is a deeply spiritual and theological character, a fact that might play well into a story about new gods and the strange and violent religions that they spawn. Plus he looks super cool.

I remember his Azbats suit was made by Batwing in this continuity, and since his suit can fly, maybe Azrael can also fly now. But it isn't explicitly stated as far as i know.

Loving the book so far. Nice to see a different team, with natural (Cyborg and Starfire) and strange (Darkseid and Azrael) people in it. Definatly my favorite Justice League book right now.
    Thing is though, JPV/Azrael never really was this super spiritual/religious character. A lot of people think that because so many have confused the Michael Lane iteration, more so the video game version really, with JPV. And that's a shame. It's kind of sad though that they had to revert putting him in a batsuit for this series. If they gave an explanation like it's specially designed for space, fine. But using it for the sake of him being a Batman type character for the team and reverting nostalgia purposes just gives the assumption that all he's ever going to be/should be known for is being Batman in the 90's is kind of a lazy cop-out.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But usually those kinds of close relationships have on-screen development or actual history behind them, and prior to this story Kori and Vic have barely said one word to each other in the New 52 continuity.
    Eh? They have development on screen, primarily in the Cyborg Solo Series.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh? They have development on screen, primarily in the Cyborg Solo Series.
    ???

When did this happen? I don't recall Starfire even making in appearance in the Walker or the Semper runs. Was this in a Marv Wolfman special I missed?
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-28-2018 at 05:33 PM.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I’m gonna have to drop this for now. This just isn’t grabbing me like the other titles. I’ll come back when I’ve heard good things.