Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noan View Post
    Maybe that is his purpose, to be a foil, the outsider, the guy that is out of his depth and highlights how strange and outlandish these characters and places are. There is also the fact that he is a deeply spiritual and theological character, a fact that might play well into a story about new gods and the strange and violent religions that they spawn. Plus he looks super cool.

I remember his Azbats suit was made by Batwing in this continuity, and since his suit can fly, maybe Azrael can also fly now. But it isn't explicitly stated as far as i know.

Loving the book so far. Nice to see a different team, with natural (Cyborg and Starfire) and strange (Darkseid and Azrael) people in it. Definatly my favorite Justice League book right now.
    Oh he's definitely suppose to be a foil. I'm not disputing that Williamson might like him or that him being a Bat character wouldn't help sell this book or bring extra eyeballs. I pointed this out on one or two occasions. I'm just hoping for a deeper in universe reasoning. I know it might not exist.

If this was an earth based Justice League team or something just a little closer to home I wouldn't even nitpick it. I get they couldn't use any of the other Bat characters and pull them out away from other stories, but Nightwing or Tim make a little more sense on this team than any other character. Anyway I won't continually bring this up this is just a nitpick I can't let go till the story makes sense of it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    Thing is though, JPV/Azrael never really was this super spiritual/religious character. A lot of people think that because so many have confused the Michael Lane iteration, more so the video game version really, with JPV. And that's a shame. It's kind of sad though that they had to revert putting him in a batsuit for this series. If they gave an explanation like it's specially designed for space, fine. But using it for the sake of him being a Batman type character for the team and reverting nostalgia purposes just gives the assumption that all he's ever going to be/should be known for is being Batman in the 90's is kind of a lazy cop-out.
    Does Michael Lane still exist? He had an interesting angle.
    The J-man

I love this book. It doesn't even feel like a JL book to me.

It's just something different, and refreshing.

And I love Justice League.
    WHO DAT?!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Tell me, what do you enjoy about Odyssey. What makes it a good book atm?
    Sorry not to reply for a while, its been a busy day! (Aren't they all at this time of year). The things which I enjoy about the book, in a nutshell are the cast (I've been a fan of Vic Stone since NEW TEEN TITANS, same with Starfire and I've liked Jessica Cruz since her first appearance), the concept of the ghost sector and how it can lead into exploring a new area of the multiverse.

The other thing I appreciate is that Williamson isn't getting bogged down with subplots the way Snyder does (the latter has a number of ideas but he does need to reign them in a bit rather then throwing everything into his plot and seeing what sticks, sometimes that works but not always!)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    ???

When did this happen? I don't recall Cyborg even making in appearance in the Walker or the Semper runs. Was this in a Marv Wolfman special I missed?
    Let me double check, because I recall there was development with both her and raven (though raven was not in the solo I don't believe.)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    Thing is though, JPV/Azrael never really was this super spiritual/religious character. A lot of people think that because so many have confused the Michael Lane iteration, more so the video game version really, with JPV. And that's a shame. It's kind of sad though that they had to revert putting him in a batsuit for this series. If they gave an explanation like it's specially designed for space, fine. But using it for the sake of him being a Batman type character for the team and reverting nostalgia purposes just gives the assumption that all he's ever going to be/should be known for is being Batman in the 90's is kind of a lazy cop-out.
    I think the Azrael from this continuity cares about theology and spirituality. One of my favorite parts of the Tynion`s Detective Comics run was JPV and Luke talking about spirituality, science and artificial intelligence. He came across, to me, as thoughtful and religious ever since, without being this generic christian crusader type, just someone that wants to be a part of something bigger. It might be different from the 90`s when he was more of a child soldier from a secret society, but i do enjoy characters that can talk big ideas and ponder.

And while i do love his Azrael outift, specially the new one, i can`t deny that the Azbat suit looks cool and functions to put him more on the level of his powerful teammates.

Oh he's definitely suppose to be a foil. I'm not disputing that Williamson might like him or that him being a Bat character wouldn't help sell this book or bring extra eyeballs. I pointed this out on one or two occasions. I'm just hoping for a deeper in universe reasoning. I know it might not exist.

If this was an earth based Justice League team or something just a little closer to home I wouldn't even nitpick it. I get they couldn't use any of the other Bat characters and pull them out away from other stories, but Nightwing or Tim make a little more sense on this team than any other character. Anyway I won't continually bring this up this is just a nitpick I can't let go till the story makes sense of it for me.
    I agree with you that i want to see where do they take Azrael on this story. Seems that so far we know what Cyborg, Starfire and Darkseid are doing here, even if it is on an narrative sense. Jessica and Jean-Paul haven`t done anything yet besides being there, but this is only the third issue so i`m patient. And Williamson showed us someone with an Azrael suit killing people, so that might be a hint about what he will do in the story. My guess would be something about religion, indoctrination and using dogma as an excuse for violence.

And i`m excited about a different bat character making the rounds. I think that Nightwing would turn this book into Titans in space, and i completely lost my interest for Tim after Tynion`s run so im glad JPV is here.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh? They have development on screen, primarily in the Cyborg Solo Series.
    ???

When did this happen? I don't recall Starfire even making in appearance in the Walker or the Semper runs. Was this in a Marv Wolfman special I missed?
    I didn't read Semper's run but didn't he only bring back the friendship with Beast Boy?

Damnit, Cyborg looks crappy again. My fear was that other artists wouldn’t be able to do Sejic’s awesome design. Briones simplified the look and Vic is back to being a generic tin man. This seriously dampens any excitement I had for this series. The story was still interesting but the art overall was not great.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't read Semper's run but didn't he only bring back the friendship with Beast Boy?
    Beast Boy was in the comic but it wasn't the real Beast Boy it was a digital copy for that alternate reality. Also none of the Titans history or past was introduced or mentioned.

Semper introduced new characters like Exxy. A new love interest (short lived) I forget her name but she was basically a female Cyborg. Semper actually had some interesting ideas and a creative villain he paced the first two arcs rather nicely. You can tell Semper's pedigree as someone who helped write and plot out cartoons like Spider-Man TAS etc. I give him credit because he was still able to do some good despite wiping away all the positives Walker brought to Cyborg.

The only other run was Wolfman's run and I'm pretty sure that didn't finish. I recall Cyborg getting beaten down and the introduction of these robot samurai dojo villains.

Unless I'm missing an Annual or leo619 is referring to another title (Starfire?) I'm fairly certain Kori never appears in the Cyborg solo titles.
    Last edited by Jabare; 11-28-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    The J-man

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

All my interest in this comic just disappeared the moment the art changed. Same thing happens to a lot of comics. Strong writing is only half the equation.

Astonishing Member

Loved the issue. Though the story's kinda same-y so far (nothing much expounded on this issue). And what, each world has a God based on Cyborg, Azrael or Starfire but they somehow don't know the others? IE Person talking about Cyborg knew him but not Starfire or Azrael by sight.

I may be reading too much into this but the relationship between Vic and Kory seems like it’s building to something. I’m calling it now, Williamson is leading to a Cyborg/Starfire romance.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Absolutely!

I can't read the JL book anymore. Odyssey is the only League I'll read. It's nice to have a story where it's not blatantly obvious how it plays out. I like having uncharted territory in-story as well as in general.

New team mix. New storyline. I'll take that all day over the same old "big seven" fluff.
    Hmmm i think currently is it rly JLO >>> JL, but i would still say JLD > JLO >>> JL.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 11-28-2018 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I may be reading too much into this but the relationship between Vic and Kory seems like it’s building to something. I’m calling it now, Williamson is leading to a Cyborg/Starfire romance.
    I would actually like that.

This book continue to amaze, especially with the role of Darkseid (see below in spoilers), the characterization of the main cast (I like all of them and how uneasy they are working together, save Kory and Vic).

I also like how the Ghost Sector inhabitants feel real : Rapture's clearly an Azrael fanatic, the Coluans are hated by a lot of peoples, and since the planets have barely been out of what well may be thousands of years of isolation for some, their inhabitants can be both ignorant of the wider universe's structures (like the Green Lantern Corps) but also each others.

I just hope that there is more than one world worshipping each of the Old God. I would like to see a world where Cyborg's human part is worshipped, possibly by robots or creatures wanting to be more in touch with the natural world; while another world could worship Kori'andr's fiery disposition over her loving one, that kind of thing.

spoilers:
    Concerning Darkseid role, I just love the fact that the God of Evil disguised himself as a healer because he needs STarfire, Cyborg and Azrael alive for whatever nefarious purpose he has. Somehow, it adds layers to him, he isn't just some monolithic evil bad guy anymore in my eyes, which is great.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Hmmm i think currently is it rly JLO >>> JL, but i would still say JLD > JLO >>> JL.
    Totally agree that JLD is the best JL book going.
    WHO DAT?!!

Mighty Member

I am really enjoying this series.
    I like seeing Kory and Victor working together in a team again.

I don't understand why some people look at two people being close and caring about each other, and then assume that it's leading to something romantic.
    Victor and Kory are old friends.
    They were friends in the Wolfman Titans comic days.
    Victor called Kory "Goldie" a lot back then when she was golden

You can be close and caring with another without it being romantic
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.