Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would a "Lost years" Star Trek series work?

While we've had two prequel Trek series with Enterprise and Discovery, there's still a pretty big gap in Trek lore-the big gap between TOS (at least from the point of "Generations"'s prologue) and TNG. Of course there have been many novels about it...but nothing as far as TV canon is concerned. Would such a series work in some form?

There's been some details about this era.

-Presumabely the Enterprise-B continued it's voyages, and then the Enterprise C until the events of Yesterday's Enterprise.

-Spock of course becomes an ambassador, and once again has a falling out with his father, reportedly over the Cardassians. Also possible he gets married, although the TNG reference is a bit vague.

-Starfleet seems to move from less of a military role to that of exploration.

-Relaxed relationships with the Klingons, although there is still uneasiness with them nearly sliding into war again around the 2340's (Yesterday's Enterprise)

-The whole thing with the Treaty of Algeron, forbidden cloaking devices for good and causing the Romulans to go quiet again apart from a few skirmishes here and there, notably with the Klingons (Where Worf's birth family was killed) and the Enterprise C.

-Some sort of war with the Cardassians.

-The younger years of TNG's crew, including Picard's Stargazer stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

It could work.

"Gotham" and "Smallville" are prequel series for the DC canon, and they worked.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'd be down for any or all of the plot points you mention be further explored.

As long as they don't directly conflict with what we already know will come to pass, that is.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I'm not convinced Star Trek anything will work anymore. Paramount's heart just doesn't seem to be in it.

They can't even manage to have both enterprise and discovery in a somehow coherent canon so...no? Please no? Try for once to do something new instead of ruining continuity?

Thank you in advance.

I'd have to agree that Paramount and CBS just don't have their heart on what makes ST so near and dear to our hearts. But, if canon could be respected, would a lost-years series work? I'd say yes.

I'd rather Trek move forward TBQH. Such a series would be the nth prequel/interquel after Enterprise, the Abrams films, and Discovery. The past is interesting to explore, but if they keep mining it, it gets exhausted.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Kurtzman in charge? No he needs to stay away from Trek's past and work in a era post Nemesis.

Yes please, post Nemesis for Q's sake. To boldly go where no writers have gone before.

I'm also wondering if there's ST fatigue. I mean, perhaps they should let the franchise rest for a few years, and then see what they can do. But, yes, a post-Nemesis series would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I'm also wondering if there's ST fatigue
    Well, we didn't get all that much Star Trek stuff since the end of Enterprise really. Some forgettable movies and one Netflix show.

That's hardly the most exploited franchise around.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    I'm also wondering if there's ST fatigue. I mean, perhaps they should let the franchise rest for a few years, and then see what they can do. But, yes, a post-Nemesis series would be good.
    I think the break we had was long enough, as far as TV is concerned. And while we do have Discovery now, it's only reaching a small fraction of its potential audience (thanks, CBS!).

And to clarify my early post; I'd vastly prefer the franchise move forward, post-Nemesis. But since they don't seem interested in that, I do think a "Lost Years" series could be great if done right.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    They can't even manage to have both enterprise and discovery in a somehow coherent canon so...no? Please no? Try for once to do something new instead of ruining continuity?

Thank you in advance.
    That's what the Kelvin timeline was for and it shitted the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I want a Lost Years tale about Captain Christopher Pike.
    I think that's part of season 2 of Discovery.

Regarding the post-Nemesis thing, I think that's probably something we're getting out of the Picard show. Also I think any post-Nemesis series would probably have to deal, somewhat, with the events of the reboot films-since Romulus's destruction happened in the prime universe.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Personally I say shelve Trek for a few years until the Viacom remergering happens and everything is under one house again.