Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Most Hyped I’ve been for Comics this year
    It's so nice to remind ourselves why we read comics.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Most Hyped I’ve been for Comics this year
    That's cause these will be good DC comics as opposed to these days which are not even really DC comics anymore.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Is it to late to join?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Is it to late to join?
    It's too late to vote but of course you can join. It's an open forum isn't it? We are starting Kingdom Come today.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    Is it to late to join?
    Not at all!!! We are starting Kingdom Come Part I today and will read a discuss throughout this week. The full schedule is on the previous page. Welcome!!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I'm reading from a trade so it'll take some effort to stop at the end of issue #1.

Opening up to a dedication for Christopher Reeves sets the tone for this reading. Already feeling solemn and hopeful from just seeing "who makes us believe a man can fly" I turn to see the now iconic cover of Superman at the head of the table almost like the Last Supper looking to us the reader. This image is an epic just in it's own right, a story told just through Alex Ross' incredible art. Everyone looks to Superman, waiting on an answer or what direction they need to go. But he simply looks to us the reader, almost asking us what should he do.

Then comes the introduction by Elliot S. Maggin which compliments the image. Talking about how Gods are men and men are their own gods. Here stands a god, a Superman, looking on for help because he knows his own weakness. This introduction holds so many of the morals, values, and ethics that I try to apply into my own life. The power of belief in not only yourself but in stories and heroes. They make up who we are and it's dangerous to and almost criminal to not know who you are.

"We have an obligation to know who we are and where we are and what we can do. We have an obligation to understand the ramifications of what we do, and to choose to do them -or not- with our eyes open. This is what Kingdom Come is about."

Heroism and DC to me are one in the same. Colorful heroes of virtue that we aspire to be, that understand the value of everything that is essential to life: ideas, artifacts, love. They understand the human condition and that leaving behind a better world is the noblest and most important goal in life. Kingdom Come feels like the heroes of the world relearning this for not only themselves but the next generation of heroes. Kingdom Come to me really feels like a cautionary tale about "modern" heroes, the kind of comics we read today. A world where might makes right, death is prevalent and those with power don't learn from their mistakes.

I get long winded and sidetracked when I talk about heroism. Now that we are through all the introductions and imagery, let's jump into the actual issue.

Seeing the world from a dying Sandman's perspective through Norman you can see that he isn't nostalgic for the bygone days of heroism. Or at least he didn't get why many like Wesley clung so tightly or those days. He holds on hope that man will someday become the rulers of their own destinies and not have to worry about "the Mighty" as he called them. Wesley and Norman and the future heroes are all extremes that should be avoided but still take lessons from. You shouldn't cling to tightly to the past and complain how things change like Wesley though you should hold onto the values that he preaches about human decency. You shouldn't believe that just those with godly powers aren't human like you, like Norman believes but hold hope for a better future. You shouldn't believe in might makes right or power for the sake of power like the unchecked future heroes. But you should teach and prepare those future heroes so they can be better than before Wesley's time so that Norman's time is still in our own hands so that the future can always be better for those who come next.

Norman slowly learns this as he meets with the Spectre and realizes Wesley visions were real. We start to see where the world is and what was left behind. Superman in a self-imposed exile. Diana being on the island or trying to save Clark. The Flash becoming a living Speed Force. Hawkman becoming very beast-like as an environmental protector. Green Lantern sits high above in his Emerald City, waiting for something to come from space. Aquaman stays with Atlantis. Supergirl with the Legion in the future. Batman keeps to himself in Gotham as always. All is hopeless as the future heroes have found their knew pillar of justice to follow, Magog. Kansas is destroyed along with other parts of the Midwest. As more and more heroes follow Magog's lead the more hope dies. The issue ends with hope returning in the form of Superman. Almost as if he alone can save us but as Norman sees his vision, he realizes that isn't true.

This issue is a masterclass in world-building, one single issue and I know exactly the rules of this new Earth and where almost everyone stands. The story is clear with a sense of foreboding and doom on the way with a small bit of hope still being alive. We are taken away on a journey with Norman, he stands in as us the audience. Asking for our faith to be rewarded but it can't, not until he/we learn the ultimate truth that will be answered later on in the story.

Is there anything I can say about the artwork that hasn't been said before. It's perfect and I want Ross to draw everything. It is simultaneously realistic and dream-like. Ross' artwork feels like what heroes in real life would be like.

WOW! Great analysis Bryd! When you were speaking on the cautionary tale of modern heroes, I noticed something in my reading. I think I am reading from the same trade copy as you, on pg. 17 (the panel where the pastor is walking by some books in town) I noticed a copy of "Under The Hood" by Hollis Mason. This is either a well placed easter egg, or perhaps since this is an else-worlds tale, it's a world where the watchmen and DC exist in the same world(kind of ironic since we have Doomsday Clock these days). Watchmen was definitely a cautionary tale of "what if" supers were in our world and Kingdom Come takes that idea to the next level. It also makes you wonder, how these next generation of heroes were allowed to be this out of control? Was it solely because Clark's generation got to to old and left?

In the, "Planet Krypton" restaurant there was an Adam West bat suit on display in the back. I thought that was a neat easter egg.

When we get to see where the silver age heroes have gone, I was most interest in the Flash. We assume this is Wally, because Waid is writing and he is protecting Keystone City. However, he has Jay's helmet and since he is the living speed force......I would take a guess that this Flash is embodying the all Flashes that have joined the speed force.

Green Lantern is this Hal?

Another neat easter egg on pg. 25 (the page before the church scene) in the second panel: I would guess this character is this generations, Star Spangled Kid. He has both Ted Knigh's gravity rod and Sylvester Pemerton's cosmic belt.

When Clark returns, I got goosebumps! I love that Superman costume with the big S and the black background.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    WOW! Great analysis Bryd! When you were speaking on the cautionary tale of modern heroes, I noticed something in my reading. I think I am reading from the same trade copy as you, on pg. 17 (the panel where the pastor is walking by some books in town) I noticed a copy of "Under The Hood" by Hollis Mason. This is either a well placed easter egg, or perhaps since this is an else-worlds tale, it's a world where the watchmen and DC exist in the same world(kind of ironic since we have Doomsday Clock these days). Watchmen was definitely a cautionary tale of "what if" supers were in our world and Kingdom Come takes that idea to the next level. It also makes you wonder, how these next generation of heroes were allowed to be this out of control? Was it solely because Clark's generation got to to old and left?

In the, "Planet Krypton" restaurant there was an Adam West bat suit on display in the back. I thought that was a neat easter egg.

When we get to see where the silver age heroes have gone, I was most interest in the Flash. We assume this is Wally, because Waid is writing and he is protecting Keystone City. However, he has Jay's helmet and since he is the living speed force......I would take a guess that this Flash is embodying the all Flashes that have joined the speed force.

Green Lantern is this Hal?

Another neat easter egg on pg. 25 (the page before the church scene) in the second panel: I would guess this character is this generations, Star Spangled Kid. He has both Ted Knigh's gravity rod and Sylvester Pemerton's cosmic belt.

When Clark returns, I got goosebumps! I love that Superman costume with the big S and the black background.
    This generation got like this because most everyone followed Superman. When he retired so did a lot of others. No figurehead stepped up until Magog who pushed the heroes towards an even more unstable way of keeping the peace.

Yeah that's old Hal as the GL.

Also I really want to go eat at Planet Krypton.

Well the book of the month club got off to a rough start, which should have been expected with it being December. So we will give it another go for January with the first couple of arcs from the 90s classic, Starman! For any who may be interested.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    Well the book of the month club got off to a rough start, which should have been expected with it being December. So we will give it another go for January with the first couple of arcs from the 90s classic, Starman! For any who may be interested.
    Cool, I went home for the holidays (still here) and forgot to grab my Kingdom Come trade. Gonna run through it when I get back.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I'm up for that.

Although I'm still going through the Green Lantern series and the silver age Justice League of America I'll squeeze it in.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake