View Poll Results: What did you think of this issue?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

2 9.52%
  • ★★★★

6 28.57%
  • ★★★

8 38.10%
  • ★★

3 14.29%
  • 2 9.52%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    They're not teasing a Big Bad though. The solicits and the Dodson cover for #61 reveal who it is. Ares is so far the only villain of this arc.

I agree that the art continues to be underwhelming, but the writing continues to be solid. Diana is questioning herself in a way that still leaves her strong willed; like Nyssane said, this is very much unlike Robinson and Finch.

I think that female minotaur is going to play a part with Ferdinand. Either as a relative or a love interest lol.
    Whoever the mystery baddie holding Steve Trevor prisoner, then. Irregardless, the reveal of her being a woman fell flat for me because, like I said, it's a Wonder Woman comic. Most of her baddies are women. Even if this weren't a Wonder Woman comic, that'd be a pretty lame twist. It's 2018, the concept of a woman being behind something isn't really a great hook these days.

I didn't like Robinson or Finch's run either, and I thought Rucka's run had a few good ideas, but not enough of them. I guess I am still waiting for a creator to synthesize all the great ideas spread out across so many runs and combine them into something truly awesome. I though G. Willow Wilson would be the one to do it, but, if these two issues are any indication, I think I got my hopes up prematurely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Whoever the mystery baddie holding Steve Trevor prisoner, then. Irregardless, the reveal of her being a woman fell flat for me because, like I said, it's a Wonder Woman comic.
    I'm not sure that's meant to be a big reveal. More poking at Steve Trevor's preconceptions.

I didn't like Robinson or Finch's run either, and I thought Rucka's run had a few good ideas, but not enough of them. I guess I am still waiting for a creator to synthesize all the great ideas spread out across so many runs and combine them into something truly awesome. I though G. Willow Wilson would be the one to do it, but, if these two issues are any indication, I think I got my hopes up prematurely.
    I'm thinking you might place too much demands on Wilson here. Apparently, she never had any plans for Wonder Woman when she was given the opportunity to write her. So she's still working to find Diana's voice (you can find the tweets in the Wilson thread), and she's also setting up a storyline with mythological creatures that seems ambitious both in scope and in philosophy. And unlike Pérez or Rucka, she has no way to wipe the slate.

Now, if one doesn't like the comics, that's fine. But I think one should be careful placing demands of too many things too quickly on the writers in an ongoing.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Whoever the mystery baddie holding Steve Trevor prisoner, then. Irregardless, the reveal of her being a woman fell flat for me because, like I said, it's a Wonder Woman comic. Most of her baddies are women. Even if this weren't a Wonder Woman comic, that'd be a pretty lame twist. It's 2018, the concept of a woman being behind something isn't really a great hook these days.
    But it's not a baddie period. The solicits reveal who it is, and she is not playing a villainous role.
    Also, I don't even think it's intended to be a major twist anyway. It's just Steve being somewhat clueless and the griffin continuing with her "men suck" attitude.

Well she's already building off of Rucka's plot development of Ares being imprisoned and Themyscira being in-accessible in a natural way. She's likely bringing back Diana's access to the Amazons as well. And she has stated her intentions of synthesizing the mythological and real world parts of Diana's mythos, which is something we rarely get. These mythological creatures arriving in our world is already an indicator of that, and February's issues have Nemesis in the hands of Veronica Cale. The story beats are making themselves clear, I think it's way too early to say she's not doing it, especially as stability is something this property desperately needs.

Also, it takes a while to get a good idea of what a writer is doing regardless of the title. Everything is decompressed these days. Two issues is never enough to get a feel for anything.

Astonishing Member

I did not really like this issue.

I know G. Willson wants to address some controversial issues about war.

However, I feel that the topic about war is treated in a forced and rushed way in this issue.

Like most of you, I found the art to be somewhat underwhelming. It's not terrible, but I just don't think it's the right kind of art for Wonder Woman.

I'll have to admit that story wise, I'm a bit underwhelmed as well. I feel like the last 2 issues could have been compressed into one, and I'm not truly appreciative of the next arc taking up so much space before the current arc truly gets going!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I'll have to admit that story wise, I'm a bit underwhelmed as well. I feel like the last 2 issues could have been compressed into one, and I'm not truly appreciative of the next arc taking up so much space before the current arc truly gets going!
    Since the "goddess of War" reset, the WW arcs have tended to be painfully slow.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Since the "goddess of War" reset, the WW arcs have tended to be painfully slow.
    Arguably before that. Azzarello's run was slow as molasses when it was coming out monthly, but reads much better in trade.

Comics in general are badly decompressed these days, but that is unfortunately nothing new.

My problem was it read too fast. The art isn't good enough to slow down and admire or pick up information absent from the text, so I was done too quickly and wanted more.

Good news is that we're getting the guy that did the art for the Injustice comics in #61.

Fantastic Member

Good Lord this was Meredith Finch level of bad. The art is awful. Diana looks skiinny in one frame , muscular the next and suddenly sporting breast the size of watermelons. Backgrounds are overly simplstic. The characterization is just plain bad as well. Ares is bipolar. Diana outraged at hime for killing children and then wonders if she really is so different. Yes, Diana, you are, even if the author doesn't realize it.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

So far I’m not blown away by either the writing or the art but one hopes that G.W.Wilson is only getting warmed up and things begin to pick up soon. Nord’s art is certainly not something you pause to marvel at but it’s effective at telling the story and I like that about it

Would you guys welcome Mahnke or the Jorge Jiminez guy from Scott Snyder's Justice League Totality book?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    Good Lord this was Meredith Finch level of bad. The art is awful. Diana looks skiinny in one frame , muscular the next and suddenly sporting breast the size of watermelons. Backgrounds are overly simplstic. The characterization is just plain bad as well. Ares is bipolar. Diana outraged at hime for killing children and then wonders if she really is so different. Yes, Diana, you are, even if the author doesn't realize it.
    It is not meredith bad. Let's see where the story goes. It is too soon to tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Would you guys welcome Mahnke or the Jorge Jiminez guy from Scott Snyder's Justice League Totality book?
    I don't want anything related to snyder or geof johns in Wonder Woman's book. Those writers that love to nerf her can take a hike.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    A resounding No to Mahnke but a big fat YES to Jorge Jimenez, he's one of the best in the biz right now