Astonishing Member

Default Should some real life elements be included in Uncle Scrooge Comic book

I have read a lot of Carl Barks stories and some Don Rosa stories. I recently read a few Uncle Scrooge comic issues from IDW and BOOM

I know some people would say there is nothing realistic about a duck wanting to make money.

Scrooge McDuck has been always depicted as a hardworking, frugal and thrifty tightwad who makes Ebenezer Scrooge look a frivolous waster.

I know Uncle Scrooge is supposed to be a children-friendly comic. But Should Uncle Scrooge Comic book not get a dose of real life world?

For example, if Scrooge McDuck was really thrifty, should he not be employing illegal immigrants? That is what most U.S. companies are doing. Should he also not be outsourcing jobs to China where he can set sweatshops and employ child labor? That is what most U.S. conglomerates are oing.

Beagle Boys have been characterized as dishonest crooks and thieves. Why haven't Beagle Boys yet snitched on one another? In all of thee Beagle Boys stories, I have read including the ones by Carl Barks, Beagle Boys are loyal to each other and have never been seen abandoning their own behind, much less snitching on the other. Even when Beagle Boys allied with treacherous villains like Magica deSpell or Flintheart Glomgold, Beagle Boys didn't betray their allies.

Boisterously Confused

Let the Classic Disney Properties be idyllic. Children will get exposed to the ugliness of the world more than soon enough.

You're right. Uncle Scrooge should be able to fly. Real Life rules.

Incredible Member

At least one of the Barks stories has always caused problems when it was reprinted, since it showed Scrooge to have been a colonialist who exploited African natives in his quest for wealth. In "Voodoo Hoodoo" (1949), Scrooge was revealed to have burned down a village and stolen tribal lands in order to build a rubber plantation, leading their chief, Foola Zoola, to place a curse on him. (The chief sent Bombie the Zombie to find Scrooge and extract his revenge, resulting in Bombie's finally arriving in Duckburg decades later.) In Don Rosa's "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" this incident was cast as a turning point in Scrooge's life, a temporary lapse in his stated determination not just to become wealthy but to do so honestly through hard work. He always regretted that in the Foola Zoola incident he had let his ambition lead him astray from his values, and afterwards he made sure never to let it happen again. As he proudly proclaimed, "I made it by being tougher than the toughies and smarter than the smarties! And I made it square!" So perhaps it is instructive for young readers to learn early on that even heroes sometimes have (webbed) feet of clay, but they learn from their mistakes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    You're right. Uncle Scrooge should be able to fly. Real Life rules.
    Ducks should also not be able to eat meat, especially fellow fowls.

Yeah, as a kid that's precisely what i wanted when i was reading that stuff. Realism. You sure hit the nail on the head right there.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Maybe they could have Scrooge and the nephews run into this guy:

"I should describe my known nature as tripartite, my interests consisting of three parallel and disassociated groups; a) love of the strange and the fantastic, b) love of abstract truth and scientific logic, c) love of the ancient and the permanent. Sundry combinations of these strains will probably account for my...odd tastes, and eccentricities."