Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Restore my faith? Not yet, but I'll let you know when I find it.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

I keep trying a book here and there but so far nothing.

My faith has altered..but never been lost.

As a youngster my faith was in the characters...any Fantastic Four or Superman story was a delight for me.

Now my faith is in the medium itself, a deep belief that the comics style is a wonderful way to tell stories...both super hero and otherwise...and different writers and artists will be telling superb stories using the medium long after I'm pushing up daisies. And in particular, far more likely to seek out particular writers, rather than follow characters.

I suppose that my belief that large majority of current super hero comics are crap sometimes comes across, and I appear an old grouch.

But there's genre after genre where a lot of the output is "doubtful"...comics is far from alone in that regard...but I still find it pretty easy to find comics that are really really enjoyable to read, don't think I'll be changing my "Thursday night is comics night" routine anytime soon.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 12-03-2018 at 05:28 AM.

I do attribute much of my return to religion to Nick Spencer's Cap, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    During the '90s, I was really down on Marvel. Then Thunderbolts came along, and my faith was renewed. After the events of Heroes Reborn: The Return, Marvel had finally restored my faith to the utmost. For now it seemed that Marvel had a plan for the Avengers' corner of the Marvel Universe and a sense of direction for where they wanted to take them.

this is a great answer. for people who weren't reading marvel in the 90s, it's hard to explain just how bad so many of their core titles were, and how little editorial *appeared* to care about anything that didn't have an "X" in the title. these books ranged from instantly forgettable (fantastic four, thor), painfully boring (avengers), and outright criminally bad (iron man).

(waid/garney's captain america was the exception, that run kicked ass)

thunderbolts helped keep afloat whatever integrity still existed among the non-X-books marvel universe (there were other good books at this time -- ostrander's heroes for hire, seagle's alpha flight, waid/kubert's ka-zar -- but they all existed almost exclusively in their own little corners of the larger MU).

"heroes return" was such a breath of fresh air and revitalized a bunch of books for an entire generation (ok, my generation) who grew up thinking they didn't matter in the larger scheme of things. 15 year old me would never in a million years believe that the avengers would later go on to dominate the MU and earn billions at the box office, whereas the x-universe would be scaled back to near-irrelevancy. the current landscape of marvel comics is so alien to what it was in, say, 1996.

As a fan that pretty much left Marvel after the era of “Disassembled” and “No More Mutants” and “One More Day”, this recent Amazing Spider-Man run has got me back into loving the wall crawler I collected from the age of eight to twenty five, and stopped collecting for 13-plus years.

I've had flows from Marvel to DC and back again. And where I've never really gotten close to wanting to give this all up, the loss of the FF book (as well as LSH and JSA) did get me to reimagine what it was I was looking for. Books like Fraction's Hawkeye and North and Henderson's Squirrel Girl widened my thought about what Marvel books could be. The books didn't all have to be tied into a big universe-wide story. They could be low-key, funny, and not take themselves too seriously. The ability to provide great stories, varied characters, and not forget it's just a comic book was eye-opening.

Yes, there are powerful stories and many of these books are classic, but anything that appeals to the kid in me opening up a cover and being truly excited is a wonder.

I was still buying Iron Man of course and Punisher, but I was basically just going through the motions with comics at the time and then my cousin(who got me into comics in the first place) picks me up a trade for my birthday called Daredevil Guardian Devil and after I read that it just got my juices following and I started getting more books again. The story just hit me. Just great stuff.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 12-17-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

I pretty much quit bothering with Marvel titles (after, admittedly nearly thirty years' reading!) during the Ultimate Marvel days. The new Dr Strange and the new Hulk titles have sort of re-interested me although I'm not really invested in either of these. For a while the most recent Luke Cage-involved series were interesting, if not fully engaging. But-- SQUIRREL GIRL has all but completely enthralled me, (admittedly less so since they've been "marvelizing" her appearance to be less..."quirky" but the writing's still very pleasing); Hawkeye (Kate Bishop series) and now West Coast Avengers also found me a happy reader.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Silver Sable #36 and Darkhawk #51 showed so much promise during the Legacy kickoff.
    Too bad they were just glorified marketing gimmick one shots and not backdoor series re-launch teases.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

BANNED

Ed Bubaker's Captain America run brought me back to comics after being away more than a decade, so yeah that comes to mind.