Page 169 of 196 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 2937

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Sorry no matter what some random handbook profile says, there is simply no way there is a 20-year difference between the two.
    why do you believe that?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    why do you believe that?
    Because Hank was noted to still be a young man when he and Janet met. Unless you're implying he's some kind of sexual predator, that timeline just doesn't wash.

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Because Hank was noted to still be a young man when he and Janet met. Unless you're implying he's some kind of sexual predator, that timeline just doesn't wash.
    what makes you think that they had sex? and how much older do you think Reed Richards is than Sue?

the quote from the handbook is "nearly two decades." so let's say that Hank was 15 years older than her. look at how old Jan's dad appears. a lot of Pym's colleagues look like that. so it wouldn't be weird for them to refer to hank as "young man."

^this stuff used to not be as taboo. I don't think it's unbelievable that Hank fell in love with a much younger woman. he is a widower afterall.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-11-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

no, not in this case. there was a line in an issue of Fantastic Four that alluded to them having had a fling (that didn't end well). i brought it up in another thread that was discussing Sue and Jan's friendship. i thought it was weird that there had been no reaction to the two dating. I have to search this now.
    I think you're thinking of Carol Danvers, not Jan. There was a line in the first issue of Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL series that implied that Carol and Johnny had a fling in Las Vegas and Carol was embarrassed or something about it now because she was trying to avoid the FF.

BANNED

what makes you think that they had sex? and how much older do you think Reed Richards is than Sue?

the quote from the handbook is "nearly two decades." so let's say that Hank was 15 years older than her. look at how old Jan's dad appears. a lot of Pym's colleagues look like that. so it wouldn't be weird for them to refer to hank as "young man."

^this stuff used to not be as taboo. I don't think it's unbelievable that Hank fell in love with a much younger woman. he is a widower afterall.
    Actually that issue was controversial even as it released. Not sure why you think the comparison holds merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana View Post
    That's interesting. I always think that Johnny is in his mid 20's like Peter, Jan maybe in early 30's and Hank the same as Stephen, Tony or Reed, almost 40.
    Johnny and Peter are around 29 at this point. Yeah, Janet would be slightly older. Was she a teenager when she started? At any rate, Spidey and the Torch were around 15 when they got their powers, Janet I was thinking 18 or 19, and certainly not older than 21. Hank already being in his 30s at that point. Tony would've been mid 20s when he started out (and yeah, about 40 nowadays), so yeah, a few years older than Janet, but the age gap is smaller than her and Hank for sure.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

This is such nonsense LOL. CBR is trying too hard with the clickbait.

I haven’t read any of Hank’s and Jan’s early adventures but my guess is that Jan was at least 15 years younger than Hank. He was already well into his career as a biochemist when his first wife “died”, so unless he graduated high school and college super early, he had to be around in his late 20s or early 30s when he met Janet.
    When it comes to Marvel’s early heroes (1960s) and their ages, I always looked at it like this:
    Thor
    Prince Namor
    Professor Charles Xavier
    Doctor Stephen Strange
    Doctor Reed Richards
    Ben Grimm
    Doctor Bruce Banner
    Dotor Henry Pym
    Tony Stark (must have had a master’s degree in Engineering)
    Matt Murdock (already a practicing lawyer so he had to be in his late 20s, at least)
    Natasha Romanova
    Steve Rogers (he was frozen in ice before the fall of Nazi Germany so physically, he should have been around 23 or 24 years old in Avengers #4)
    Clint Barton (?)
    Prince T’Challa (already a college who may have a master’s and/or doctorate degrees. But I’m not certain, because he and Storm are roughly the same age and she’s not that much older than some of the original X-Men)
    Sue Storm
    Henry McCoy
    Janet Van Dyne
    Scott Summer, Warren Worthington
    Jean Gray, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff
    Johnny Storm, Peter Parker
    Robert Drake

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    This is such nonsense LOL. CBR is trying too hard with the clickbait.
    Yeah, retconned out? I don't think so somehow. It's the reason Nadia decided to call herself Van Dyne - she made that decision before Janet officially adopted her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Johnny and Peter are around 29 at this point. Yeah, Janet would be slightly older. Was she a teenager when she started? At any rate, Spidey and the Torch were around 15 when they got their powers, Janet I was thinking 18 or 19, and certainly not older than 21. Hank already being in his 30s at that point. Tony would've been mid 20s when he started out (and yeah, about 40 nowadays), so yeah, a few years older than Janet, but the age gap is smaller than her and Hank for sure.
    Marvel timeline is confusing to me. I thought they reboot Peter's age because he keeps looking younger and younger than almost 30, but I think 14 years since they started are fitting. Peter and Johnny with 29, Jan ( I read last night that she was 20 when she met Hank) and probably Sue , 34. Hank and Doom maybe 45-50 and Reed, Tony, Bruce T'challa etc 40.

When it comes to Marvel’s early heroes (1960s) and their ages, I always looked at it like this
    Jean, Storm, Scott are this young?
    ALways think of them in mid 30.
    Last edited by Ana; 06-12-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think you're thinking of Carol Danvers, not Jan. There was a line in the first issue of Brian Reed's MS. MARVEL series that implied that Carol and Johnny had a fling in Las Vegas and Carol was embarrassed or something about it now because she was trying to avoid the FF.
    Ah, that sounds right. Thanks.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I read it. Jan spoke as if she were brainwashed. But I ignored it. She and Scott were getting along great. That was more important to me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I haven’t read any of Hank’s and Jan’s early adventures but my guess is that Jan was at least 15 years younger than Hank. He was already well into his career as a biochemist when his first wife “died”, so unless he graduated high school and college super early, he had to be around in his late 20s or early 30s when he met Janet.
    When it comes to Marvel’s early heroes (1960s) and their ages, I always looked at it like this:
    Thor
    Prince Namor
    Professor Charles Xavier
    Doctor Stephen Strange
    Doctor Reed Richards
    Ben Grimm
    Doctor Bruce Banner
    Dotor Henry Pym
    Tony Stark (must have had a master’s degree in Engineering)
    Matt Murdock (already a practicing lawyer so he had to be in his late 20s, at least)
    Natasha Romanova
    Steve Rogers (he was frozen in ice before the fall of Nazi Germany so physically, he should have been around 23 or 24 years old in Avengers #4)
    Clint Barton (?)
    Prince T’Challa (already a college who may have a master’s and/or doctorate degrees. But I’m not certain, because he and Storm are roughly the same age and she’s not that much older than some of the original X-Men)
    Sue Storm
    Henry McCoy
    Janet Van Dyne
    Scott Summer, Warren Worthington
    Jean Gray, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff
    Johnny Storm, Peter Parker
    Robert Drake
    Hank was a supergenius and excelled in the sciences from a very young age. No definite age is ever given, but you have to factor in that time just works differently in the Marvel universe. Hank was always much younger than his colleagues, it makes sense within the context of the Marvel-verse that he was a wunderkind and as such was most definitely below 30 when he met Janet. And going by that logic, it's MAYBE a 10-year difference when they met. But during the process of creative changes and progression, I think Janet and Hank were written to be nearer to each other's ages by the time they became an actual couple. I mean Hank never showed signs of aging even before he died, so the theory that he was like 50 years old makes zero sense to me.

Janet will also appear in UNSTOPPABLE WASP #1. New volume.