Page 7 of 196 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Seems to be a thing for Marvel and DC Marvel has all the blonds and DC has all the Caucasian.

But I believe its Remenders intention to start another Avengers fan vs X-fan flame war.
    Last edited by stingnewell; 08-17-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hekabolos View Post
    I agree, i don't see Jan and Alex really being each others "type". If I absolutely had to argue for it, I suppose Jan's dating history (Hank, Clint, Paladin) suggests that she has a thing for blonds (although given the sheer number of blond men in the Marvel Universe, you would have to be a nun to not have dated at least one). Even with that, though, I could only see Alex being similar to Clint: a fling with a hot guy, not some all-encompassing romance.
    I think that was how it started. Jan just got back from her "lost and presumed dead' ordeal in the Microverse, and was in more of a "seize the moment" type of mindset. She saw Alex, found him attractive, and figured "why not have some fun". I don't think either one of them thought it would really develop into more than that.

And it remains to be seen if it will develop into anything more in this timeline. We know they got married in that one future...but the set of circumstances which brought that about have been undone. So their relationship might end up following a different path now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    I think that was how it started. Jan just got back from her "lost and presumed dead' ordeal in the Microverse, and was in more of a "seize the moment" type of mindset. She saw Alex, found him attractive, and figured "why not have some fun". I don't think either one of them thought it would really develop into more than that.

And it remains to be seen if it will develop into anything more in this timeline. We know they got married in that one future...but the set of circumstances which brought that about have been undone. So their relationship might end up following a different path now.
    Yeah, I definitely think it started out as just a fling. In fact that's how I was reading it, until they went and got married and had a child. The bizarre circumstances that brought that about have been erased, but both of them kept their memories of it. It's the fact that they have a child floating around out there that makes me think that the relationship isn't going anywhere, but who knows. RR tends to dislike happy endings, so the missing alternate universe child could end up driving them apart.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

In a perfect world, Evangeline would be playing Jan, Paul would be Hank, and Douglas would be Jan's dad. I don't know why Marvel Studios felt they had to make this movie more complicated than it had to be.
    I mean, they're even giving "Hope" Jan's look. Why did they feel the need to fridge her?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mermaid View Post
    In a perfect world, Evangeline would be playing Jan, Paul would be Hank, and Douglas would be Jan's dad. I don't know why Marvel Studios felt they had to make this movie more complicated than it had to be.
    I mean, they're even giving "Hope" Jan's look. Why did they feel the need to fridge her?
    I agree. Wright presumably had this thing for Scott Lang and worked on a script for years, and Marvel has somehow decided to go along with his idea. Now Wright is gone, and it looks like Marvel is trying their best to show the fans that they care about the source material by incorporating things into the MCU that come from the comics. But honestly, no matter how they put it, Lily will NOT be Jan. She may even become another iteration of the Wasp, but she'll never be THE Wasp, the one we love and wanted so much to see in the MCU. Do they really think we'll be happy with an "Ant-Man" and a "Wasp" in the MCU, no matter who's in the costume?

And I do agree they're making this way more complicated than it had to be. I mean, it was all already written! It has been there out in the open for more than 50 years! How hard could it be?

But I'd change Rudd to Patrick Wilson in your perfect world I don't think Paul Rudd is first-role material, and is not a good fit for Hank.

I am TERRIFIED that this will affect the comics.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I agree. Wright presumably had this thing for Scott Lang and worked on a script for years, and Marvel has somehow decided to go along with his idea. Now Wright is gone, and it looks like Marvel is trying their best to show the fans that they care about the source material by incorporating things into the MCU that come from the comics. But honestly, no matter how they put it, Lily will NOT be Jan. She may even become another iteration of the Wasp, but she'll never be THE Wasp, the one we love and wanted so much to see in the MCU. Do they really think we'll be happy with an "Ant-Man" and a "Wasp" in the MCU, no matter who's in the costume?

And I do agree they're making this way more complicated than it had to be. I mean, it was all already written! It has been there out in the open for more than 50 years! How hard could it be?
    I can't help but feel like Marvel is worried about any sort of "wife-beater" drama surfacing with the characters from the film. They may have felt the solution would be to remove Jan entirely and make Hank an old man. The obvious problem is that's a terrible solution. They should have just stuck with the classic characters and not address Hank's mental illness. It's just like we shouldn't expect Spider-Man to be punching his pregnant wife anytime soon (because that DID happen and it's much worse than Hank's mistake).

My dream "Ant-Man" film would have centered around Hank and Jan. You would have Hank as a struggling scientist with a brilliant idea but no one to fund it. Then you have Jan who is wealthy fashion mogul who takes a great deal of interest in Hank's work to find a cure for her father, Vernon's, mysterious illness. From there I would have the illness steam from any alien race that Marvel has the film rights to. Hank discovers that Vernon had been communicating with an alien race that used the communication relays to transport a small invasion force to Earth. In the end, I would have Hank (as Ant-Man) and Jan (as Wasp) fight off a small invasion of the aliens.
    Basically it would take a lot of cues from Jan's debut issue, but in the middle they could sprinkle it with MCU-ish humor with Hank shrinking the first time and controlling bugs.

But I'd change Rudd to Patrick Wilson in your perfect world I don't think Paul Rudd is first-role material, and is not a good fit for Hank.
    That was just me going with the current cast, my ideal casting for Hank is actually Nathan Fillion because he could definitely be the Scientist Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Remender's Ultron graphic novel is supposed to have some ramifications on Hank. I'm worried they're going to make him really old in the comics.

I'll post this again, but this is how I would handle Ant-Man movies.

Look on the brightside: things couldn't get any worse for Hank if they did that to him.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Look on the brightside: things couldn't get any worse for Hank if they did that to him.
    How is that looking on the bright side?

How is that looking on the bright side?
    In my opinion, making him a senior citizen in the comics universe would be the straw that broke the camel's back and things couldn't really get any worse.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    So am I... but I try not to.

This could go so many different ways, IF they want to bleed the movieverse into the comics, actually. From the worst: making Hank and old man, killing off Jan once more... To the (at least my) best: keeping Jan and Hank as they are now in comics, but saying "hey, if they have a daughter in the MCU, then we need that daughter in the comics too". So, they'd find a way to get them together again (my wishful thinking...) or retcon some daughter out of nowhere (lazy writing IMO).

So it's really two sides of a coin. There's also the possibility, very likely, that they'll just do nothing and keep the characters as they are right now in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    In my opinion, making him a senior citizen in the comics universe would be the straw that broke the camel's back and things couldn't really get any worse.
    Oh, I see... yeah, you're right

So am I... but I try not to.

This could go so many different ways, IF they want to bleed the movieverse into the comics, actually. From the worst: making Hank and old man, killing off Jan once more... To the (at least my) best: keeping Jan and Hank as they are now in comics, but saying "hey, if they have a daughter in the MCU, then we need that daughter in the comics too". So, they'd find a way to get them together again (my wishful thinking...) or retcon some daughter out of nowhere (lazy writing IMO).

So it's really two sides of a coin. There's also the possibility, very likely, that they'll just do nothing and keep the characters as they are right now in the comics.
    Retconning in a van Dyne daughter would actually be pretty easy if Remender stays in charge of Jan. The future daughter with aha ok who is now gone because she never existed. I could see Remender bring her back aged like he did with Ian Zola. But please let it not be so.

(Please Marvel. If you're reading this, don't do this. Instead give Hank and Jan a partner book written by Waid. No need to completely copy the movies. Especially since this one is going to be your version of Trank's Faketastic Four.)