Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bishop Question

Amazing Member

Default Bishop Question

Hey everyone. I’m an X-Men diehard who owns every issue from 1 to 600 in addition to most of the spin-off books. As a result, I’m pretty familiar with the mess that is X-Continuity. I loved the 2015 Secret Wars and thought it was a great jumping off point, so I gave up monthlies after that. I’ve been reading digitals of the new stuff off and on since.

Bishop’s continuity is a mess. Originally, he found a video of Jean warning him of the X-Traitor (Later revealed as Onslaught). Then, it was retconed without any explanation to say that he found a recording from Storm warning about Hope Summers. I suppose you could reconcile this by saying that after he stopped Onslaught from killing the X-Men, he rewrote his own personal timeline.

More problematic though, is his return to the X-Men. Has any explanation ever been given for Bishop’s rehabilitation? In Uncanny X-Force vol. 2, he comes back from the future possessed by the Demon Bear but I didn’t get the implication that he was possessed while hunting Hope. I don’t think that series explained how he was accepted back after all the horrible things he did. In Cable vol. 2, he literally murdered billions in an entire timeline to try and kill Hope Summers. It just seems kind of ridiculous that he’s back to his 1990s characterization with no explanation besides, “Sorry about that.” Was any explanation for why he was forgiven by the X-Men ever offered, or was it ever suggested that he was possessed while hunting Hope or that his culpability was otherwise mitigated?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dasklein83; 11-29-2018 at 12:14 PM.

The only people that should really care are Cable and Hope and they havent been X-men since Bishop returned last year in AXM. I dont think there is anything to forgive as I dont recall the X-men ever casting him out. He didnt leave the team bc he was kicked out but rather bc he had a mission and then was stuck in limbo. What was the worse thing Bishop do to them? Betray the team in Messiah Complex. How many X-men have betrayed the group at some point? I didnt read UXF so I cant speak on that but I dont think MC is something that should still be held against him.

I’ve been wondering the same thing and no one’s offered an answer.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    The only people that should really care are Cable and Hope and they havent been X-men since Bishop returned last year in AXM. I dont think there is anything to forgive as I dont recall the X-men ever casting him out. He didnt leave the team bc he was kicked out but rather bc he had a mission and then was stuck in limbo. What was the worse thing Bishop do to them? Betray the team in Messiah Complex. How many X-men have betrayed the group at some point? I didnt read UXF so I cant speak on that but I dont think MC is something that should still be held against him.
    I get that plenty of people have betrayed the team over the years and that the two people with the most beef with him are Hope and Cable. I’m more focusing on the fact that he slaughtered billions and no one seems to care. I suppose you could argue that the timeline he chased Hope and Cable through and killed billions in no longer exists after the events of AvsX, but still, that’s a hell of a lot of blood on his hands.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dasklein83 View Post
    I get that plenty of people have betrayed the team over the years and that the two people with the most beef with him are Hope and Cable. I’m more focusing on the fact that he slaughtered billions and no one seems to care. I suppose you could argue that the timeline he chased Hope and Cable through and killed billions in no longer exists after the events of AvsX, but still, that’s a hell of a lot of blood on his hands.
    Cyclops wasn't around within the X men for his return so we never got his answer, and Jean might be biased toward people killing billions, so who knows?

So has Jean, Forge and from what Ive read from people, Xavier and Beast. What Bishop did wasnt an offense to the X-men. I think it would be anlogus to Jean killing the D'Bari. It was galaxy away and so removed from the X-men that it personally didnt affect them and its not something they think about when interacting with Bieshop

Amazing Member

I’m not sure about Beast and Forge having a body count, but if it’s a recent story it’s certainly possible I haven’t read it. As for Jean, that was the Phoenix Force and not actually her (assuming that hasn’t been rectoned). Xavier’s dark side did kill millions in the microverse, but X-Men vs the Micronauts is such an unholy and perverse abomination that it’s best it’s just assumed that it’s outside of continuity.

I think we might get some more confrontation between Bishop and Hope in Exterminated.

I’m not sure about Beast and Forge having a body count, but if it’s a recent story it’s certainly possible I haven’t read it. As for Jean, that was the Phoenix Force and not actually her (assuming that hasn’t been rectoned). Xavier’s dark side did kill millions in the microverse, but X-Men vs the Micronauts is such an unholy and perverse abomination that it’s best it’s just assumed that it’s outside of continuity.
    The stuff with Forge happened in Astonishing X-men's Ghost Box arc. He was willing to risk destroy all life on Earth but was stopped. Beast fired a laser to destroy an alternate reality. He destroyed an underground city in Secret Avengers and was implied to commit Skrull genocide in Secret Invasion

The Phoenix Force is a retcon. Go back to the original story. The X-men were willing to fight for Phoenix even after learning what she had done

BANNED

Nah it's her, last retcon plus she said it's her, but it's brought up so she can feel bad about it

The stuff with Forge happened in Astonishing X-men's Ghost Box arc. He was willing to risk destroy all life on Earth but was stopped. Beast fired a laser to destroy an alternate reality. He destroyed an underground city in Secret Avengers and was implied to commit Skrull genocide in Secret Invasion

The Phoenix Force is a retcon. Go back to the original story. The X-men were willing to fight for Phoenix even after learning what she had done
    The skrulls were willing to commit an human/mutant genocide so they're pretty much asking for it, plus beast virus would've killed only the skrulls on earth, not the ones in space so I'll let that slide, plus cyclops was the one that deployed the virus

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

While many of us may not care about it, he did shoot Xavier in the head nearly killing him regardless of intent. So there is that.

Amazing Member

Wait, they retconned Phoenix back to the original story, i.e. Jean was always possessed by Phoenix as opposed to sleeping at the bottom of the bay while Phoenix assumed her identity?

Bishop, Hope, and Cable already had their little reunion shortly after the demon bear story where he actually saved Hope from turning herself into paste and said that he was her father figure for trying to kill her for all those years...

Quote Originally Posted by wano View Post
    Nah it's her, last retcon plus she said it's her, but it's brought up so she can feel bad about it

The skrulls were willing to commit an human/mutant genocide so they're pretty much asking for it, plus beast virus would've killed only the skrulls on earth, not the ones in space so I'll let that slide, plus cyclops was the one that deployed the virus
    True but I was just establishing that other X-men have blood on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    While many of us may not care about it, he did shoot Xavier in the head nearly killing him regardless of intent. So there is that.
    Yeah but Xavier didnt die and he's back anyway. I would seem off for the X-men to hate on him for that

Wait, they retconned Phoenix back to the original story, i.e. Jean was always possessed by Phoenix as opposed to sleeping at the bottom of the bay while Phoenix assumed her identity?
    No the retcon still stands but Jean has acknowledged her role in setting the events which led to DPS. She owns it and accepts responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Bishop, Hope, and Cable already had their little reunion shortly after the demon bear story where he actually saved Hope from turning herself into paste and said that he was her father figure for trying to kill her for all those years...
    UXF was bad. Just bad.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.