Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Why doesn't DC do more Superman family adventures stories like Batman family ?

When I see the Batman Family together, I get a sense of Family, but when I see the Superman family together I get a sense of separation. I mean all I wanted to see was Supergirl team up with Jon Kent Superboy in an adventure or two with Superman helping out on the side.

I would love for the new Power Girl to meet Superman and from him and Kara.

Honestly What is DC problem with the Superman family that they cannot act like the Batman family...While Separated they are great, but they are stronger when they fight together. So why can't we have that for Superman and his powerful cast of characters ?
    Last edited by Cmbmool; 11-29-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

They tend to cover much more space individually. Like Bruce and his buddies could spend a whole night pushing a broken down batmobile from the city to the cave, where Jon alone is too powerful to bother with a car.

Aside from that, it's extremely tough for spin off titles to catch on right now

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Because superman gets rebooted and his family members either aged up, erased or written out of continuity. So the super family always shrinks. The only characters that have escaped this are Kon and Kara because outside media adaptations.
    The super family is not that financially viable. The characters are not familiar outside comic circle.

With the Zoom imprint they're looking to once again push Damian, but also push Jon. Right now the former is pretty well known although I'm not sure there's anything that translates into financial viability. Same for Ric, Dick, or Babs. Kara is the bigger name right now even if her comic sales aren't clearly better. Kate didn't make it further than Kenan. Jason's run has been surprisingly resilient, but aside from that he really doesn't match Lois. Cassandra, Tim, and Stephanie are pretty close with Kon to be fair, but he's on the verge of a decent push. Steel is collecting cobwebs but he is gold.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    With the Zoom imprint they're looking to once again push Damian, but also push Jon. Right now the former is pretty well known although I'm not sure there's anything that translates into financial viability. Same for Ric, Dick, or Babs. Kara is the bigger name right now even if her comic sales aren't clearly better. Kate didn't make it further than Kenan. Jason's run has been surprisingly resilient, but aside from that he really doesn't match Lois. Cassandra, Tim, and Stephanie are pretty close with Kon to be fair, but he's on the verge of a decent push. Steel is collecting cobwebs but he is gold.
    Dude, just look at how many bat family books they publish compare that super family book. If they are willing to give these many books to the bat when they are not will to give a speed force(second flash book). That must mean bat books sells more
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-30-2018 at 07:21 AM.

I would say that it mostly rest on one question : what kind of threat may require Superman, Supergirl, the Superboys, Steel, Super-Man and any other members that one can think of the Super-family, but not the Justice League ?

Because, that's the big thing : in theory, you have foes requiring a solo hero (Black Manta for Aquaman, Luthor for Superman, Joker for Batman) in their solo books and either bigger threats or a gathering of smaller ones in the JL books.

Of course, there can be exceptions, but you'll notice that they almost always happen in the Bat-books, because it's relatively easy to explain why Joker/Bane/Riddler, could suddenly be a threat large enough to warrant more vigilantes on the ground to stop him.

Meanwhile, it must be kind of hard to sell to DC's exécutives that a foe powerful enough to require several Superman-level heroes is better suited for just the Superman books over pushing the Bat-brand and all the other flashy logos which boost sales.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude, just look at how many bat family books they publish compare that super family book. If they are willing to give these many books to the bat when they are not will to give a speed force(second flash book). That must mean bat books sells more
    Maybe I'm not looking at the same thing? In quantity, if we're not just talking about how well books starring Bruce sell, what are you comparing? How many Bat projects have there been compared to Super projects? You have to include Joker or at least Harley for a real edge.