Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I'm sure yes, but recently Jordan commented on Twitter something interesting. Said that Giant Sized X-Men took place approximately 8 or 9 years ago in Marvel time. So perhaps that snark isn't too far off from the truth?
    If it's only been about 12 or 13 years in total for the X-Men, that seems about right(with the 05's adventures unfolded a bit).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I'm sure yes, but recently Jordan commented on Twitter something interesting. Said that Giant Sized X-Men took place approximately 8 or 9 years ago in Marvel time. So perhaps that snark isn't too far off from the truth?
    While that's interesting...if it isn't printed in the comics it means absolutely nothing. I think social media is a wonderful medium for connecting to creative teams, but some people take what they say on social media as cannon for stories and it really shouldn't work that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    While that's interesting...if it isn't printed in the comics it means absolutely nothing. I think social media is a wonderful medium for connecting to creative teams, but some people take what they say on social media as cannon for stories and it really shouldn't work that way.
    Honestly though if anyone would be reasonably in the ballpark, he would be one of those folks. He might be sitting in the parking lot of said ballpark and listening to the game on the car radio, but he's close.

Would be really interesting to sit down and REALLY figure out the exact timeline. Really the big unknown would be times in between each big event where all they do is play baseball.

Fantastic Member Legaldrugdealer's Avatar

For those who had read, what did Maddy mean by whatever you think of me please save our baby. I haven't read that era of xmen. Was cyclops not happy with the birth of his child or is this a Claremont retcon?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If it's only been about 12 or 13 years in total for the X-Men, that seems about right(with the 05's adventures unfolded a bit).
    I twitted him something about Karma escaping the Vietnam War or Colossus growing up in a communist farm, and he answered me that unlike Magneto who is still a Holocoust survivor, Karma and Colossus aren't those characters anymore (Karma isn't any longer someone who escaped the Vietnam war with her siblings and Colossus never lived in the Soviet Union)
    So, all those comics in which Colossus said Lenin's Ghost and compared the capitalist west to the communist east have been soft retconned by the sliding timeline.
    I guess Xavier would be an Iraq war veteran now instead of a Korean War veteran.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Really sad how Jean fans always dehumanize Maddie. That scene in Uncanny where Scott slowly removes each part of Maddie was spot on.
    This will happen to any woman who gets involved with Scott.
    To them, Scott belongs to Jean Grey. Sadly.

I seem to recall that, prior to 2015's Secret Wars at least, Cyclops was in his late 30s, which to me seems sensible enough to lead the X-Men (and Utopia, and their recent events, etc. etc.)

Given everything that's happened to the X-Men since RL 1975, ~20 years of activity to me seems much more reasonable than trying to cram 55 years of continuity into 1/5th of that time.

Hank McCoy, however, has been 50 years old ever since he was 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I seem to recall that, prior to 2015's Secret Wars at least, Cyclops was in his late 30s, which to me seems sensible enough to lead the X-Men (and Utopia, and their recent events, etc. etc.)

Given everything that's happened to the X-Men since RL 1975, ~20 years of activity to me seems much more reasonable than trying to cram 55 years of continuity into 1/5th of that time.

Hank McCoy, however, has been 50 years old ever since he was 20.
    Where did it ever say Cyke was in his late 30's? He does have an extra decade on him, mentally, from his honeymoon in the future raising Cable, but physically the 05 X-Men have barely/not even cracked 30.

I always figure it is about a 5:1 ratio, timewise, and it makes sense since we only see about 12 issues a year(most of time, sometimes only half, sometimes twice as often), and many multi-issue stories take place over a short period of time(hours/days). You have to do some hand-waving for historical dates, and even ignore on-panel time elapses to make it work, but when you look at Warren and Jean in the recent Uncanny #1, there's no way we are looking at late 30-somethings.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 12-06-2018 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    more like the complete opposite

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    I think it's funny that people have that attitude today about a couple that was born out of the 60's because it's a very 60's attitude to have. It's funny that the attitude towards them stays from the era they're from instead of today's standards.

The Marvel Universe takes place during the course of like 10+ years. There is no forumula to break down time because certain eras like the Silver Age have to be longer or shorter because of stuff like characters being in school. The O5 X-Men are barely older than Spider-Man, who is right below 30, and are all younger than the Human Torch considering his Negative Zone time. Any inconsistencies created by the sliding timeline like out of date cultural stuff are explained by the in-universe explanation for how time works in Marvel Prime from Ultimates, which is that significant events have weight that literally drag them down further in time. It's actually all pretty simple...

...Until editors allow writers to say specific words like years when referring to stuff that really can't be years and even worse, allow them to put specific numbers on it that by default can't make sense unless it's pocket stuff like "Illyana was in Limbo for 10 years" or "The FF were exploring the universe for 5 years."

So in summary, and JDW agreed with me on this, don't use specific time measurements in a sliding timeline. And remember how old your characters actually are. Cyclops was the Lil' B The Based God of mutantkind while in his mid-late 20's.

Where did it ever say Cyke was in his late 30's? He does have an extra decade on him, mentally, from his honeymoon in the future raising Cable, but physically the 05 X-Men have barely/not even cracked 30.

I always figure it is about a 5:1 ratio, timewise, and it makes sense since we only see about 12 issues a year(most of time, sometimes only half, sometimes twice as often), and many multi-issue stories take place over a short period of time(hours/days). You have to do some hand-waving for historical dates, and even ignore on-panel time elapses to make it work, but when you look at Warren and Jean in the recent Uncanny #1, there's no way we are looking at late 30-somethings.
    I think Hank is the only one to pass 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think Hank is the only one to pass 30.
    ??

Based on the current time, Hank should be about 36, Jean and Scott are about 34-35, and Bobby is 33-34. They aren't late 30s, but based on the time skips, this should be where they're at.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    ??

Based on the current time, Hank should be about 36, Jean and Scott are about 34-35, and Bobby is 33-34. They aren't late 30s, but based on the time skips, this should be where they're at.
    It's a mess, it just gets even messier the more mental gymnastics Editorial makes to try making sense of it, and I'm never going to agree with it.

jeanandbobby.jpg

warren.jpg

They look very young to me. Iceman was explicitly 16 in #1, so 12-13 years later, he's still 28/29. Jean and Warren a year or two more. Hank one more year.

How old they 'should be' is very subjective, but I think they do work better as still being very young and highly accomplished.